Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Lens Hacking: Canon FD to EOS!
    I love using canon FD lenses, especially my 50mm on the gh1/2. But I also shoot on a 5d and 7d/t2i often and It makes me really sad that I cant use my favorite fd lenses on EOS (with out using a crappy glass extender).

So ive been looking at some lenses that had already been professionally converted to EOS and they cost quite a bit to convert compared to their price ($275 per lens for just the conversion) - that is a bummer because I think I only paid $75 for my 50mm f1.4.

After doing a lot of googling I found some people who have successfully converted the lenses, but It was really hard to see what they were doing- some people just made them "wide open" only lenses- used lens caps for the mount- not what I want.

Last night I decided to just pop all the lenses open and start the process- this could all completely be a failure- and if it does, ill need the sympathy from people like you because I would have lost some of my favorites.

Warning- this is going to be a sloppy but completely functional conversion- The right way to do it would be by machining parts, countersinking screws, ect... Im not machining anything because my "machine shop" only exists only as a drimmel. Ill be using JB weld to make permanent modifications. This could get ugly- dont try it until you see if I fail or not.

135mm f2.8
    I started with the 135mm f2.8- I just made a new aperture linkage last night and it seems to be working great- this was a weird linkage to the ring because it travels up and down as the lens focuses, so I ended up breaking off a peice from the old lens mount and bending it to make a link that has a guide rail. Probably will take me a few days, but im going to tell you exactly what I am doing. Later today Im going to set the mount and find/make the right shims.

Aperture linkage works well by the way! I also declicked the lenses during the process of removing the old mounts.

Work in progress... more info soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hunter Hampton
    hunterismyfriend.com
    vimeo.com/hunter

2. Collapse Details
    Quick overview of the process and why you have to hack up FD lenses to convert them to EOS:

Canon EOS has a 44mm Flange Distance- Canon FD has a 42mm Flange distance- that means if you just made an FD->EOS lens adapter- you would only be able to use the lens as a macro and you couldn't focus more than a few feet (there are glass extender FD->EOS versions but they lose light and lower the image quality too much unless you stop down significantly)

So you need to actually remove part of the FD lens to make it short enough to be used with an eos mount. Theoretically at least 2mm.

I did that by removing the old mount: 3 screws around the lens, pull the fd mount off- then the Auto aperture linkage junk can be pulled out and you have a bare lens- just a helicoild with a non functional aperture ring and no mount.

Good news is after you reconnect the aperture ring, you can add and shim to get a proper distance surface for adding an EOS mount.

I found the perfect size shim at ace hardware, just a steel washer- surprisingly- I think once the JB weld is used this will be exactly the distance needed to hit that 44mm flange focal distance I need. The JB is doing its thing and tonight I will mount the new EOS mount- and hopefully have a functional EOS 135mm f2.8 in the morning!
    Hunter Hampton
    hunterismyfriend.com
    vimeo.com/hunter

3. Collapse Details
    Close up of the new aperture linkage of the 135mm f2.8
    Hunter Hampton
    hunterismyfriend.com
    vimeo.com/hunter

4. Collapse Details
    Mount is setting... I hope I got the FFD right (the bad thing about using JB weld!)- Ill let it rest and try it on my camera in the morning. If I mess up this, at least its only my 135mm and not my 50mm.
    Hunter Hampton
    hunterismyfriend.com
    vimeo.com/hunter

5. Collapse Details
    Cool stuff! Looking forward to your tests...

------------
    Dave
    Fear and Loathing in Raleigh, NC
    ------------
    www.vimeo.com/greeches
    www.youtube.com/greeches

------------
    "Art of seduction, Alcohol introduction."
    "A man who looks where he walks, never steps in sh*t."

6. Collapse Details
    Thank you Dr. Frankenstein. I have some great older fd lenses and they are cheap since they dont mount nicely to the EF mount. If this works out it may be a real option for my old 50mm 1.8 and some of my other lenses. Any sort of instructions would be helpful.

Thanks!

7. Collapse Details
    Great News! My 135mm f2.8 FD is now a fully functioning 135mm f2.8 EOS mount lens. Infinity focus is good- feels solid. Now Im just waiting for some new eos mounts to finish the rest of the lenses!

Ill try to give a tutorial after I make a few more mistakes- one thing though is a lot of the lenses are different so there isnt one specific way to do it.
    Hunter Hampton
    hunterismyfriend.com
    vimeo.com/hunter

8. Collapse Details
    btw those shots are wide open...
    Hunter Hampton
    hunterismyfriend.com
    vimeo.com/hunter

9. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    Nice work, HR!
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

10. Collapse Details
    Congrats! The only thing i was really concerned with is getting the distance from the back of the lens to the chip dead on. If thats off i thought you would lose infinity focus

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast