Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Cannot record file number exceeded limit
    Exclamation
    Today I yook my GH2 to a spin and filmed the city. I used a brand new Lexar Premium Series 32 GB card. But after almost 100 files recorded I got the message in the title (cannot record file number exceeded limit). I got home and for my surprise, some of the files cannot be copied to my pc (they cannot be read). I want to mention that I took the new card and plugged in the camera and start shooting without formatting it. May this be the problem? (I hope so) I hate going with this camera to a wedding and then loosing the footage. I will get killed.
    I'm waiting some advice. Thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    Always format in the camera. Always.

3. Collapse Details
    Ok, I formatted the card and I'll make some tests (100 footage files). After that I will return with my conclusion.
    P.S.: I love my new 20 mm f1.7 pancake lens.

4. Collapse Details
    Thing are ok now. I took about 200 shoots (video and photo) and it works just fine.

5. Collapse Details
    I formated in camera, but got this message anyway... The plot thickens...

[EDIT]
    From Personal View
    piotremanuel December 2011

I did more tests regarding CANNOT RECORD. FILE NUMBER EXCEED LIMIT and it seems I found a workaround. In order to avoid CANNOT RECORD. FILE NUMBER EXCEED LIMIT, when the recording time exceeds 30 minutes (with spanning) stop the recording but keep the power on, record a short clip and voila, you are free to turn the power off and afterwards record without issues next time. It is too early to be 100% sure if it sorts itself out every time, but so far so good. It seems some conflicting odd file stamping is happening when the recording is longer than 29.59. Please someone tests it as well. Record non-stop for over half-an-hour and after finishing turn off the camera. `now next time are you able to record without the CANNOT RECORD. FILE NUMBER EXCEED LIMIT message? If you cannot then you have the same problem I do. Now try again, and instead of turning the camera off after over 30 mins recording, record another, this time short clip. Now switch it off, have a deep breath and turn the bitch on- try recording. No message? @Vitaliy_Kiselev Is it fixable without the workaround?
    Last edited by Phenixone; 07-20-2012 at 12:11 PM.
    Victor Lazaro - Director, DP, Camera Op
    twitter - @LazaroFilm
    -- www.victorlazaro.com --

Panasonic GH2
    Panasonic AG-HPX171E - P2HD
    Shoot on RED Epic from Pamoramic.tv
    Nikon and Lumix glass
    Express35 - Run n' gun shoulder rig
    SmallHD DP6 monitor...

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenixone View Post
    I formated in camera, but got this message anyway... The plot thickens...

[EDIT]
    From Personal View
    piotremanuel December 2011

I did more tests regarding CANNOT RECORD. FILE NUMBER EXCEED LIMIT and it seems I found a workaround. In order to avoid CANNOT RECORD. FILE NUMBER EXCEED LIMIT, when the recording time exceeds 30 minutes (with spanning) stop the recording but keep the power on, record a short clip and voila, you are free to turn the power off and afterwards record without issues next time. It is too early to be 100% sure if it sorts itself out every time, but so far so good. It seems some conflicting odd file stamping is happening when the recording is longer than 29.59. Please someone tests it as well. Record non-stop for over half-an-hour and after finishing turn off the camera. `now next time are you able to record without the CANNOT RECORD. FILE NUMBER EXCEED LIMIT message? If you cannot then you have the same problem I do. Now try again, and instead of turning the camera off after over 30 mins recording, record another, this time short clip. Now switch it off, have a deep breath and turn the bitch on- try recording. No message? @Vitaliy_Kiselev Is it fixable without the workaround?
    FYI it's not 30 mins as I had the same error on two different cards for 20 min clips - I guess it depends on the card speed and hack you're using.
    https://www.Psynema.com Visit Psynema.com to see a few of my video productions, especially if you're from Philadelphia and need a hand on your next production. I use Adobe CC Premiere and After Effects, Glidecam, and I have a screenplay pilot in I'm trying to produce as well.

7. Collapse Details
    format then switch camera off then on again....

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Psynema View Post
    FYI it's not 30 mins as I had the same error on two different cards for 20 min clips - I guess it depends on the card speed and hack you're using.
    The limit is 4GB (has to do with the card file format on SDXC cards), and is not measured in time. The time will vary depending on the bit rate. The higher the bitrate, the shorter the max size of the clip before the issue appears. General, as soon as you get a slightly long clip over 10min, just double record a short clip. Put your hand in front of the lens so you know it's not a false run and you should be good to go.
    twitter - @LazaroFilm

Panasonic GH2
    Nikon and Lumix glass
    SmallHD DP6 monitor...

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    format then switch camera off then on again....
    Yes, when it happens, formating will allow you to shoot on the card again. But in order to prevent the issue from happening in the first place, record those short clips before shutting the camera down.
    twitter - @LazaroFilm

Panasonic GH2
    Nikon and Lumix glass
    SmallHD DP6 monitor...

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergiu Mogan View Post
    P.S.: I love my new 20 mm f1.7 pancake lens.
    Throw a Tiffen Black Diffusion 3 on that puppy and watch the Wedding Magic blossom!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast