Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by PappasArts View Post
    It's very obvious in the subtleties.

Love it!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph B View Post
    I did indeed try Tdecimate, but some duplicate frames slipped through it, which fdecimate was able to catch. So, in my experience, I would say fdecimate is superior.
    On Barry's clip they both leave duplicates if you use default settings. I more familiar with TDecimate, but I'll see if I can find working settings for FDecimate() and report back

3. Collapse Details
    Not sure what the celebration of "uncompressed" 4:2:0 footage is. In the other thread, some smarter than me had already concluded that the chroma smearing was probably due to the HDMI signal being from an inferior colorspace, trying to upsample into 4:2:2. It feels like we're celebrating an offroad truck that is doomed to spend its life on 12" rims. Seriously, what's the point?
    That's why I stopped pursuing any solution on the other thread. It's 4:2:0 for crying out loud.

4. Collapse Details
    The EX1/3 (and coming sony f3) are 4:2:0 and we feel the codec in MUCH stronger than the avchd we're getting from the GH2 (haven't played with the AF100 yet). So we say, bring it on Ralph! And thank you!

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Not sure what the celebration of "uncompressed" 4:2:0 footage is. In the other thread, some smarter than me had already concluded that the chroma smearing was probably due to the HDMI signal being from an inferior colorspace, trying to upsample into 4:2:2. It feels like we're celebrating an offroad truck that is doomed to spend its life on 12" rims. Seriously, what's the point?
    That's why I stopped pursuing any solution on the other thread. It's 4:2:0 for crying out loud.
    Well if I might try to wipe up the urine you just left on everyones parade... I think that there's certain very real points to having this ability. Even if they're not as useful has having 4:2:2, it doesn't make them useless. First off, any quality gain, no matter how marginal, is going to be appreciated by a good handful. Having played with some previously posted HDMI footage myself, you do get a finer degree of detail and I might point out that a lot of the footage that's been posted so far aren't exactly codec killers.

There are likely many situations where even if the GH2's improved compression methods don't completely die and mudout, that the strain of high detail and motion can make the difference between the AVCHD and the uncompressed capture more pronounced. Furthermore, although this might be a smaller demographic, but for those doing a lot of controlled in-house work with the camera, being able to record straight to hard drive rather then dealing with SDHC card swapping, might be a plus. Think of screening work, even if the signal is 4:2:0, getting a minor jump in quality sent straight into your workflow without having to wait to transfer off of SDHC or perhaps bypassing the use of multiple card if it's long form... definitely not a negative.

6. Collapse Details
    You might want to come down off the soapbox and check the first post again.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by GrgurMG View Post
    Well if I might try to wipe up the urine you just left on everyones parade... I
    !!! Funny!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    @Ralphi B - Nice workaround with the ConvertToYV12() !

If I can make some suggestions:

1) I would use AssumeFPS(24000,1001) instead of AssumeFPS(23.976) . Gradual desync will occur with the latter on longer clips, because of the approximation

2) DirectShowSource() isn't necessarily frame accurate, and relies on system installed codecs/filters - this can cause inconsistencies. This may be problematic for some people, especially if you are doing non linear seeks or using temporal filters. If you have an AVI wrapped file I would recommend using AVISource(). If you have a MOV wrapped file (maybe from a AJA capture), I would use FFMpegSource or QTInput()

TIVTC includes the function TDecimate() which is fairly similar to FDecimate(). Is there a reason why you prefer FDecimate() ?
    Hey PDR, I had a chance to apply your suggestions to some of my footage and I confirm that tdecimate (mode=1) is superior to fdecimate(). Using avisource and AssumeFPS(24000,1001) are also sound suggestions. I'm going to add them into the script in the first post. I would like to make that script as solid as it can be, so people can find it easily and not have to wade through a zillion posts.

I also tried your new settings for TFM, but noticed no difference. Could you explain your thinking behind them?

Oh, BTW, it's important to put converttoyv12() before TFM(). TFM requires YV12 or YUY2, and it's possible someone might record with a codec that is neither of these, in which case an error message will pop up. (I know, because it happened to me!)
    Last edited by Ralph B; 02-03-2011 at 10:33 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Why so negative Man? I say never give up and get out of your sand box and play along. We owe people like Ralph a whole lot of encouragement and feedback to help make this and other functions work to our favour. Way to go Ralph!

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph B View Post
    These pictures were shot at 1080 60i. They are 1:1 crops.
    While the difference in texture and detail is quite impressive, why show 60i comparisons (the AVCHD must be 17Mbps, right?)? Isn't your fix particularly for 23.98fps? I think it would be more meaningful to see the results from footage shot 23.98fps 24Mbps AVCHD compared to the same captured 60i uncompressed converted to 23.98fps progressive using your method. I'd be interested to see how much more detail is in 24Mbps footage from the GH2, since 60i 17Mbps would only give about 0.56Mb/frame versus 23.98p 24Mbps which is about 1Mb/frame, giving it about 75% more information per frame.

How easy is this conversion? I assume it would be as simple as running a batch conversion on all your footage? Have you tested that it maintains sync with linked audio if you record uncompressed from HDMI with an audio input? I imagine anyone using this method might be interested in how easily they can just run audio input to their external HDMI recorder and have it work properly throughout the whole workflow.
    Last edited by nyvz; 02-03-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast