Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Fotodiox adapter... meh.
    When I purchased my Camera, I initially bought it from B&H with a bower F-mount to EOS adapter to try out some vintage Nikon lenses.
    I knew there were cheaper ones online, but I liked that I could return the bower to the store if I decided I didn't like the look of the vintage glass, so I went with it.

After being very pleased with it, I decided to buy some cheap adapters for additional lenses. Fotodiox seems to be regarded pretty highly around here and other forums, so I decided to give it a shot.

Wow. This thing is totally cheap in comparison!
    First of all, the ring is extremely difficult to put on the lens. You have to really force it, and it feels like you're going to break it. Then once it is on it is extremely difficult to take off. The pin that is supposed to release it from the lens housing feels like it can only be used a few times before breaking, essentially fusing itself to your lens permanently (which I actually found a negative review on Amazon saying happened). The bower, meanwhile, is very small and easily switched from lens to lens with minimal effort. It also tends to blend in so well that it seems to be part of the lens, which I like.

Also, the fotodiox adapter's ring has these spikes all around it making it look more like a gear than a ring. It doesn't really hurt anything other than aesthetics, but it sure does look menacing and totally unnecessary to me.

I guess it doesn't matter much since I intend to leave it on the lens instead of switching it around (part of why I'm buying it in addition to the bower I already have), but for my third lens I'm not sure if I want to purchase another of this brand.

Are all the cheap ones like this? Because maybe I'd rather opt for a bower or something better instead. Suggestions?

2. Collapse Details
    I've used 6 fotodiox adapters, and none of them have given me any trouble

2 are for leica-R, 2 for M42, and 2 for pentacon six

I always buy one adapter for each lens, and never take it out, though

3. Collapse Details
    The one ive used was this, i like it alot and its easy to use.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-AI-F-Canon...item43a49bbfbf

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dishe View Post
    I guess it doesn't matter much since I intend to leave it on the lens instead of switching it around (part of why I'm buying it in addition to the bower I already have), but for my third lens I'm not sure if I want to purchase another of this brand.
    You sort of answer your own question.

I have one on a Nikkor lens. I don't think I've ever taken it off. Why would I?

Fotodiox has been a solid adapter that hasn't caused me to think about it since the moment it clicked into place.

5. Collapse Details
    no probs on this end. I also leave it on.

6. Collapse Details
    I guess if I hadn't used any other adapter, the Fotodiox one would be OK and I wouldn't think about it.
    But I just don't like it compared to the bower one.
    Its rare, but there have been times I wanted to trade lenses with a Nikon user, and it was nice knowing the Bower was so good at being swapped around, and fits so effortlessly on both the lens and the camera. This fotodiox one seems bulky and honestly scarier to use.

Thing is, the bower one was a few times the price of the fotodiox. With that said, I'd sooner buy another fotodiox and try to stop comparing it to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by eheath View Post
    The one ive used was this, i like it alot and its easy to use.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-AI-F-Canon...item43a49bbfbf
    Seems like a nice alternative. Cheap, too. I'll give it a shot.

7. Collapse Details
    I have nikon to eos Kawas on all of my Nikon lenses. To make them fit snug, I cut little strips of gaff tape to put on each side of the adapter for a little extra grip, and they are now rock solid. Great fix for the cheap adapters.

8. Collapse Details
    You shouldn't have to force it at all. There is a little clip that you pull out when you take it off. You have to take the lens and adapter off first, then take the adapter off the lens, by pulling in the small clip and then turning the adapter. It should move easily.
    Steve Dent - 3D Animator / Editor / Lens Enthusiast
    www.espacesteve.com

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by steventimothy View Post
    You shouldn't have to force it at all. There is a little clip that you pull out when you take it off. You have to take the lens and adapter off first, then take the adapter off the lens, by pulling in the small clip and then turning the adapter. It should move easily.
    Yes. I'm aware of the clip, and this works really well on the Bower. Smooth as butter. Not so much so on the fotodiox.

So- it works, and I probably won't be removing it often enough to care, but I mentioned it only because I usually respect products that are plugged with positive reviews on this site. I personally was not so impressed this time.

10. Collapse Details
    are you talking about this bower adaptor : http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...s_Adapter.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast