Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Affordable PL mount lenses for the AF-100
    I was wondering if anyone knew of a lens brand that produced relatively cheap PL mount cinema lenses. Red is pretty good with the 20k for the five lenses, but I was wondering if a lens manufacturer existed that has lenses that can be found used for around 700-2000 dollars.

2. Collapse Details
    Not available right now but the Sony F3 PL lenses will be around the 2000 mark.

3. Collapse Details
    The Sony lenses won't be available to purchase separately from the Sony F3. The Zeiss Compact Prime 2 and Schneider Cine-Xenar lenses are inexpensive for PL mount glass. uniQue optics also has a set of 6 very nice lenses. Lower price than that you are looking at modified still lenses, such as those from Duclos.
    Andy Shipsides
    Diretor of Education
    AbelCine Los Angeles
    Visit Our Blog - CineTechnica
    Follow me on Twitter - @andyshipsides

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipsides View Post
    uniQue optics also has a set of 6 very nice lenses. Lower price than that you are looking at modified still lenses, such as those from Duclos.
    I had to check that out, and unless I'm missing something, that price ($3200) is only a 10% down payment on the set. Their "7D" lenses are also ~$4000 apiece.
    Lots of toys... that I barely know how to turn on

5. Collapse Details
    Keep in mind, Duclos's base price for Zeiss ZF.2 lenses is generally higher than B&H or AbelCine... I found it was cheaper to scrounge the lenses elsewhere (including ebay and used items), then send them to Duclos for the mod only.

I was able to build a 6 lenses Duclos modified ZF set for around 8k. Those uniQue optics sets are $32k! No where near as cheap.

Major caveat - this thread is about PL mount glass, and these Duclos mods are Nikon mount. That said, I think they're a viable option because there are Nikon mount adapters available not only for the AF-100, but for other cameras like the RED and PMW-F3, and Canon EOS.
    Sony F35 with SR-R1 SRMemory Recorder
    Sony PMW-F3 /w S-Log 4:4:4 Upgrade
    Arri Ultra Prime Set

www.binarydreams.com

6. Collapse Details
    The price list for the Duclos Nikons has them about 100 dollars more per lens than B&H. I would suggest that you invest the time to watch this presentation from Zeiss. It will go a long way in helping you in your lens purchasing decision. The amount of knowledge dispensed in large.

7. Collapse Details
    I scored both a used Red Pro Zoom 17-50mm PL lens and a Red Pro Zoom 50-150 PL lens on Reduser for a great price, so am just waiting on my HotRod AF100 tuner kit to arrive/
    Matt Gottshalk - Dp/Editor
    McGee Digital Media

EPIC-X #00740 "Decker"
    Duclos 11-16mm
    RPZ 17-50mm
    Red 50-150mm
    Panasonic HPX-250
    Canon C100 and Ninja 2 recorder
    Nikon D800

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Stone View Post
    The price list for the Duclos Nikons has them about 100 dollars more per lens than B&H.
    True but I pay no tax from Duclos and don't have to have my lenses shipped to me then to duclos and then back. I'll pay $100 more for less trips of my lenses back and forth from NY to LA and back alone.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

www.jarek.com Epic #5515

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I had another really quick question; Lomo lenses. Are they any good or are they just some crappy russian lenses that arent worth anything. Thanks again :-)

10. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Jarrett P. Morgan's Avatar
    Lomo lenses are very, very good, but they also have their own "organic" feel to them. I am not sure I would have them for my only lenses.

I think on RED right now there is an 18-85 T3 for 6000 used. It has fantastic reviews online and, though I have never used it myself, I think it would be a great lens for an AF. (just a bit heavy.)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast