Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
  1. Collapse Details
    belfryman - take it easy, 9v shouldn't do any damage as 9v is very close to 8.4v
    I also have red somewhere that GH2 worked on 9v.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by valdi99 View Post
    belfryman - take it easy, 9v shouldn't do any damage as 9v is very close to 8.4v
    I also have red somewhere that GH2 worked on 9v.
    Fantastic. Thanks very much.

3. Collapse Details
    The more so - I supply 9.6v to my GH2 and it works with no problem.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by soarprod View Post
    Custom GH2 battery setup: http://vimeo.com/19591333
    A definite thumbs up on using an RC battery. I got the DCC8 and hooked it up to a Tenergy 8.4V 5000mAh NIMH battery. I took them both to a hobby store and paid 20 bucks for them to solder together the proper connectors. $45 for the battery, $20 for the cable and $32 for the charger. I shot a wedding with it on Saturday. It was a 9 am to 1 am shoot. I used the same battery all day.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Etown Mark View Post
    A definite thumbs up on using an RC battery. I got the DCC8 and hooked it up to a Tenergy 8.4V 5000mAh NIMH battery. I took them both to a hobby store and paid 20 bucks for them to solder together the proper connectors. $45 for the battery, $20 for the cable and $32 for the charger. I shot a wedding with it on Saturday. It was a 9 am to 1 am shoot. I used the same battery all day.
    Further to this...I have two brand new Panasonic GH2 batteries for sale for $70 each plus shipping for anyone that is interested.

6. Collapse Details
    I have bought 8.4v/4600mAh RC battery (used for about 17USD), charged it up and my GH2 was on for at least 8hrs and still has a power!

7. Collapse Details
    For those who know how these batteries work when being charged, when charging my 8.4V 4.5A battery the voltage shows 10.44V on the charger and on the multimeter it shows 11V. Now which is the right voltage, 8.4V, 10.44V or 11V and is it safe to connect the battery to the camera?

8. Collapse Details
    Here's the theory about NiCds and NiMHs. The cells are rated at 1.2 volts. To get 8.4 volts you need seven cells (7 x 1.2 = 8.4 volts). While the cells are being charged the charging voltage can go a lot higher, sometimes as high as 1.7 volts per cell, depending on the charge current and the condition of the battery. For example, the higher the charge current, the higher the charge voltage because of the voltage drop across the internal cell resistance. Cell resistance tends to increase with age, hence older cells will have a higher charge voltage. A real life example: I have just measured the charging voltage on my 2000 mAh Sanyo Eneloops as:

1.47 volts ... 200 mA
    1.54 volts ... 400 mA
    1.68 volts ... 800 mA.

For seven cells, the charging voltage could be as high as 7 x 1.7 = 11.9 volts.

When fully charged, the cells typically settle down at about 1.4 volts (before discharging). A newly charged Eneloop had these terminal voltages when discharged:

1.35 volts ... 100 mA
    1.32 volts ... 200 mA
    1.26 volts ... 400 mA
    1.12 volts ... 800 mA

If you are worried about the higher initial voltage (7 x 1.4 = 9.8 volts), discharge the cells for a few minutes to take the peak voltage off them.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567