Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    GH2 - Monitoring audio while recording
    I've seen a few threads discussing the possibility of listening to audio while recording on the GH2. The two possibilities raised were using adaptors through either the A/V out port or (less likely) through the mini-HDMI port (digital to analog being the issue).

Now that people have the GH2 in their hands, has anyone looked into a way to hear audio as it's being recorded?

2. Collapse Details
    I don't have my GH2 yet but I plan on using a calibrated juicedlink JL-DT454 I think it's the perfect companion for monitoring and since the Gh2 has audio meters on screen while recording I will have an added level of confidence.

3. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Peter J. DeCrescenzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram S.O.S View Post
    I don't have my GH2 yet but I plan on using a calibrated juicedlink JL-DT454 I think it's the perfect companion for monitoring and since the Gh2 has audio meters on screen while recording I will have an added level of confidence.
    Monitoring off a mixer instead of the recording device (in this case, the camera itself) only monitors the microphone & mic cables or wireless connection.

It doesn't tell you if the camera is actually recording usable sound. The connection between the mixer & camera is inherently unreliable (since it depends on tiny 2.5mm and/or 3.5mm plugs/adapters), so you can easily end up with a garbled/noisy recording, or no recording at all.

In other words, a disaster waiting to happen.

That's why real live monitoring from the recording device (the camera or an external recorder) is so important. It's the only way to know if the sound is getting recorded properly.

I don't have my GH2 yet, so I can't confirm if it features live audio monitoring (either through the A/V connector or HDMI), regrets. What little I've "heard" so far isn't promising.

So, to get the most reliable results, use an external recorder & sync in post either manually or use PluralEyes software.

Obligatory note: Such a shame, all because DSLRs don't include a $0.05 US headphone jack. Sigh. :-(

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. DeCrescenzo View Post
    I don't have my GH2 yet, so I can't confirm if it features live audio monitoring (either through the A/V connector or HDMI), regrets. What little I've "heard" so far isn't promising.
    Someone who has a GH2, please say it ain't so!!

5. Collapse Details
    i don't have the answers either and can't test right now with my GH2, but I did plug my senheisser me66 directly into the GH2 to test. (With my GH1, I always used the H4n and pluraleyes.) I did watch the levels in the GH2 and the audio recorded in the camera was truly excellent. For interviews, this will now be the way to go for me although I probably will still back up with the H4n - but I won't have to do the extra step of syncing.

6. Collapse Details
    Great to hear Larry. Having levels is a step in the right direction.

I'd still love to know if someone's tried to use an adaptor to plug in some headphones while recording.

One of the reasons the camera appeals to me is its stealth and simplicity ...

7. Collapse Details
    Back in September a user named AKED confirmed that the GH2 is supposed to pass audio through the HDMI out during recording:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...ut-the-new-GH2

So in theory, what would be needed is a small, battery powered device that could accept an HDMI input and provide a headphone output.

After a little bit of searching I found this thing:
    http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-Compo.../dp/B002WBOQPU

It lacks battery power and a headphone output, but it gave me a little hope.

I'm really curious if the audio through HDMI thing works, and if there's a better HDMI gadget out there for monitoring with headphones.

8. Collapse Details
    If you're going HDMI out and going to connect stuff, may as well buy this monitor and have it all! $135

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/8032...pport-VGA.html

9. Collapse Details
    With my GH2 connected to a 1080p monitor via HDMI and with the GH2 HDMI output set to auto, 1080i, 720p, 480p, there is NO audio output to the monitor in live or record mode. It is there only in playback. That rules out any audio monitoring via HDMI.

I also noticed the ETC function does not work when the HDMI cable is plugged in and the ETC only works when there is no HDMI cable plugged in, this is regardless of stock 14-140 or any other lens I used.

Both are a let down!
    Last edited by rigs; 12-15-2010 at 06:20 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Wow, that is a real bummer. Are you able to test the a/v out for audio?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast