1. Collapse Details
    timelapse in 24p now?
    Just curious:

The HVX200 only shoots timelapses in 1080 60i and the HMC40 shoots them only in 1080 24p.

I was wondering why the change? I'm not complaining, I spent a lot of time deinterlacing the HVX clips and am really excited to shoot timelapses in 24p. Just curious really.

Anyone know?

kairosmatt

2. Collapse Details
    Jan would have to answer than one, BUT my guess is, that based on input from users, 24p may have received more requests than 60i and 30p. The reason is a design specification issue and not a technical issue.

Bob Diaz

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks Bob,
    I wonder what the technical limits are (space for onboard software maybe?) that control the amount of features available. I mean, why wouldn't you have timelapse available in all framerates?

kairosmatt

4. Collapse Details
    The framerate for timelapse is kind of an artificial thing anyway. I'd like it recorded in some progressive mode... thus, the 1080/24p on the HMC40 I think is most appropriate. I mean, after all, it's timelapse... if I'm recording 1 frame per minute, the same data goes into the file regardless of the specified format, and I can decide later to interpret it as 24p, 30p, 60p, or 2000p if I like. The best reason for 1080/24p on the HMC40 -- that's the only totally real progressive mode in 1080 resolution. You have 1080/30p, but that's recorded as 1080/60i, and 720/60p is just lower resolution. When you have essentially all day to process each frame, why not use the best possible recording mode?

The only thing that doesn't make sense is interlaced recording... it's not as if the camera is shooting a half frame at 0sec and another at 30sec if I'm in the 1 frame per minute mode. So as long as everyone agrees it's really shooting in progressive, let it just pick the best progressive mode and be done with it.

The more annoying thing ... sure, Panasonic's nice enough to include interval/timelapse recording modes on many cameras.. I have it on my HMC40 and TM700. But why on God's green earth do they have to impose an arbitrary limit on realtime recording. On the TM700, the camera stops after 12 hours; on the HMC40, it stops after 24 hours. This is a horrible mis-feature.. never does anyone any good, and if I didn't know better, I'd guess they're trying to sell me something to have unlimited time... but I can't guess what that thing would be. There's certainly no technical challenge here, this is just an arbitary software limit.