Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    So I just watched the link I posted . Vimeo recompressed the video again ... bummer ,
    so its probably not the best example. The original is much cleaner and has no artifacts.

2. Collapse Details
    thanks for posting anyway, gives me a good idea.

My next issue is the AVCHD workflow for people. with the GH1 I've always just (sluggishly) edited but people are now talking about transcoding first...

Always learning!

3. Collapse Details
    oh, just out of interest. If I film 720p 50fps and mix it with 720p 25fps, should I edit on a 25fps or 50fps timeline?

4. Collapse Details
    25p because the other way around will, let say can cause some extra jerkiness in the end product !
    And if you want slowmo it works best on a 25p timeline.

I've always trancoded with the free avchd to dvcprohd converter form Panny .

5. Collapse Details
    I did a couple of tests with some HMC150 720 50p footage slowing it down and although it was cars driving left to right (which is bound to cause some jitter) I must say I did notice quite bad jumping (about 3 skips every second or so). Do you think this will be better if I do it again on a 25p timeline then?

I also tested the quality of 1080 and 720 footage when the end product is a DVD (as 90% of my work is) and was amazed with the similarity in the footage. I probably couldnt tell them apart if I didnt know which was which so I think from now on I'm going to shoot 720p 50fps on both my GH1 and the HMC150. Therefore enabling slow mo smoothness whenever I need it.

Whether I'll lose the 'film look' that 25p would help with is still to be tested but I suppose with things like speeches and ceremony where I know there's going to be no slow mo I could just change them back to 720 25p. (I assume theres no point in filming 1080 25p and just downscaling the footage to a 720 timeline afterwards?)

Ok so just to confirm... shoot on 720 50p and edit on a 720 25p timeline and this will still give me nice smooth slow motion?

appreciate your help as always

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Everts View Post
    I've always trancoded with the free avchd to dvcprohd converter form Panny .
    id like to do some tests with this. its not 'AVCHD to P2 HD Transcoder software' is it?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tikigod19 View Post
    id like to do some tests with this. its not 'AVCHD to P2 HD Transcoder software' is it?
    Dunno maybe, but its called MainConcept AVCHD Transcoder 2.1

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tikigod19 View Post
    i did a couple of tests with some hmc150 720 50p footage slowing it down and although it was cars driving left to right (which is bound to cause some jitter) i must say i did notice quite bad jumping (about 3 skips every second or so). Do you think this will be better if i do it again on a 25p timeline then? yes for best result use 50p on a 25p timeline .your nle has more frames to do slowmo properly.

i also tested the quality of 1080 and 720 footage when the end product is a dvd (as 90% of my work is) and was amazed with the similarity in the footage. I probably couldnt tell them apart if i didnt know which was which so i think from now on i'm going to shoot 720p 50fps on both my gh1 and the hmc150. Therefore enabling slow mo smoothness whenever i need it.

Whether i'll lose the 'film look' that 25p would help with is still to be tested but i suppose with things like speeches and ceremony where i know there's going to be no slow mo i could just change them back to 720 25p. (i assume theres no point in filming 1080 25p and just downscaling the footage to a 720 timeline afterwards?)
    there's no need for 1080p for sd but i shoot that anyways i got more to play with in post

ok so just to confirm... Shoot on 720 50p and edit on a 720 25p timeline and this will still give me nice smooth slow motion? yes

appreciate your help as always
    go

9. Collapse Details
    out of curiosity
    is there a difference in filming in 25p
    with filming in 50p and trash half frames in post so it conforms to 25p ?

10. Collapse Details
    You should be able to shoot 50P and pullout 25P without any comprimising. The question comes down to shutter speed you will be using (normally your shoot 1/50th for 25P and 1/100th for 50P) If you like the look of 1/100th then you are good to go if you prefer to have 1/50th then you might find your slow mo footage has a little too much motion blur.

In regards to pulling 24P from 60P footage, that is not recommended. You can't do an even pull down with those frame rates. In NTSC world you would have to shoot at 120FPS to do a 24P pulldown.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast