Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Editing 24p and 60i with FCP
    Hey Guys, Im new to this forum, and new to video editing! I have some questions to help get me started, hope you can help. I have shot some footage with my canon xl2 in 24p, and some in 60i for slow motion shots. Heres my questions: when I capture the footage off the camera and import it to a new sequence, it says the footage is 29.97 FPS even though the camera was set to 24p mode. So what is the deal, I need to know what I am doing wrong in FCP, because when I drag the clip into the sequence it asks if I would like to change my setting in the sequence to match my clips settings. any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Collapse Details
    Hallo Kingdom Man,

There are 2 ways to do it. Import your video with FCP or with Quicktime. I prefer QT because I convert all my XL2 footage (PAL) to 576p before working on it in FCP.

Since you are probably working in 16x9 (anamorphic DV), you will have much less issues during editing if you first prepare your footage and then do the editing.

I assume you have FCS (FCP, QT Pro and Compressor). Capture clips using Quicktime Pro. Some will be 24p and some 60i. In Compressor, create a preset to convert these clips to Apple Prores 422, 24p, 480p, 16x9 square pixels. If you don't have Compressor, you may also do this in Quicktime Pro. Your 60i clips will be low quality - unfortunately thats it (only 50% vertical resolution). Slow motion is better achieved by slowing it down in post and shooting in 24p. It's not perfect, but the image quality of 60i clips in a 24p timeline is just very bad. You should be able to slow your 24p clips down to about 50% before getting too much of a strobing feel.

Once you have the new Proress 422 clips in 16x9 (or 4x3) and 24p, you may import them into your FCP project and then edit. FCP will ask if it should change the sequence setting to the clips settings with the first clip/shot you add - confirm this.

I hope this helps.

You probably have lots to learn if you're new to this...

Regards,
    Peet

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the help, I will try this. What does this Apple 422 process do?

4. Collapse Details
    It does the reverse Telecine or pull down necessary to make it a native 24p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1uENQksgxM

5. Collapse Details
    I dont have Quicktime pro, so what can I do? Is there another way to make sure my clips that were shot in 24p actually end up being 24p? Or is that all I have to do, because I have the compressor program, so I could do the reverse telecine. Thanks for all your help!

6. Collapse Details
    it can be done with just compressor. You would need to run your raw footage throught compressor and reverse telecine. then make a new timeline and add the reverse telecined footage. it will ask you if you want to change settings. Click yes.

just make sure to do this BEFORE editing. if you try to reverse telecine after editing, it will not work

7. Collapse Details
    So if my raw footage was shot in 24p mode on my xl2 and I want to convert it to true 24p, i have to run it through the compressor program and apply the reverse telecine to it? Where am I making a new time line, are you talking about FCP or compressor?

8. Collapse Details
    I just tried it, I ran my clip through the compressor program, exactly the same way the video you gave me a link for explains. When I imported the modified clip into FCP it recognized the clip being 23.98 FPS. So why, when I capture the footage with fcp and put the clip in the sequence it always say its 29.97fps no matter what Im actually shooting in? Why do I have to do all this extra stuff? I know these are probably the MOST beginner questions but I want to learn, thanks

9. Collapse Details
    Go to FCP.
    For your next project do this.
    Click on the left corner tab titled "Final Cut Pro"
    Click "Easy Set up"
    A window will pop up and in all likeliness next to "Rate:" it will say 29.97. That is why. You have your default settings at 29.97 fps. You have to change it.
    BUT it won't change the current timeline. It will change the next one.
    So you want to start a new project,
    set default setting to 24fps.
    Close project.
    Open new project.
    check settings and it should now be at 24 fps.

the compressor method will ensure that you are in fact at 24 fps. because sometimes workflow gets confusing and even MIXED. for example, my hv30 doesnt film in 24p it films in 24pf (which is 24p wrapped in 60i) so i HAVE TO run it through compress or do somekind of pull down method. Workflow can be accidentally mixed or will not give you the end result you want. but compressor will give you pure, native 24p

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom Man View Post
    Where am I making a new time line, are you talking about FCP or compressor?
    new timeline was meant for FCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast