Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Syncing audio/video in Premiere Pro CS5
    So I'm a FCP editor by day-job…loving the new Ppro CS5 … but I've come across a problem:

I'm editing a film, shot on a DSLR, audio separately recorded. I've been supplied with WAV files and the MOV from the camera.

H264 playback is a dream in pproCS5… but I can't figure out a way to merge this video with the WAV files.

The only option I see is to put both video and WAV sources onto a timeline, sync them up and then "link" them… but this is quite a bad way of doing it. In FCP you can select Video/Audio sources in your browser, then "merge" them into 1 video clip. Then if you place that videoclip on the timeline the external WAV sources are laid down with it, as if it were all 1 movie file you're putting down on the timeline.

Please tell me Premiere pro has something like this? If not... screw that -- I'll gladly use FCP.

EDIT: I've talked to Adobe. It doesn't have a comparable function. Bugger.
    Last edited by tfg; 11-15-2010 at 08:10 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    I tend to just use separate sequences for this sort of thing in Premiere.
    @andrewproductns
    productions.andrewgentle.com
    (website update pending, stay tuned...)

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tfg View Post
    So I'm a FCP editor by day-job…loving the new Ppro CS5 … but I've come across a problem:

I'm editing a film, shot on a DSLR, audio separately recorded. I've been supplied with WAV files and the MOV from the camera.

H264 playback is a dream in pproCS5… but I can't figure out a way to merge this video with the WAV files.

The only option I see is to put both video and WAV sources onto a timeline, sync them up and then "link" them… but this is quite a bad way of doing it. In FCP you can select Video/Audio sources in your browser, then "merge" them into 1 video clip. Then if you place that videoclip on the timeline the external WAV sources are laid down with it, as if it were all 1 movie file you're putting down on the timeline.

Please tell me Premiere pro has something like this? If not... screw that -- I'll gladly use FCP.

EDIT: I've talked to Adobe. It doesn't have a comparable function. Bugger.
    Uh, and why is placing the video and audio in a sequence timeline, aligning the clapper mark audio and video, then linking them to fix their relationship a 'bad thing'?

I have Final Cut Express, and for the life of me, I could not figure out what 'feature' of FC that you were using to take an arbitrary audio track and 'place' it with an arbitrary video clip, without placing both in a time line, then using it as an single 'entity' if that is what was desired.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by j1clark@ucsd.edu View Post
    Uh, and why is placing the video and audio in a sequence timeline, aligning the clapper mark audio and video, then linking them to fix their relationship a 'bad thing'?
    Fair quesiton.

It's not entirely a 'bad thing' it's just slower and far less efficient. Also - I'm not sure if FCE has this feature. It might be a FCP-only item.

Think about it: once you've synced your stuff up on the timeline, how do you edit? Do you use the razor tool and start chopping up the shot? What if you're editing a conversation thats pops back and forth between angles? Do you also line up the other shot(s) and layer everything on the timeline do your edit via a bunch of razor edits? Do you build a big stack of synced shots and slide/move/razor/roll edit with your mouse on the timeline? This certainly gets the job done, but there it seems cumbersome. Seriously -- I'm interested in how a Premiere editor handles this. I'd like to see it in action.

If you didn't have to worry about audio how would you edit? Personally I would open a shot in the viewer, select an in/out point, and then overlay or insert edit the shot (I don't remember what native hotkey is, but I use F10 for my overlay and F9 for my insert). The edit process becomes a continuous overlay and insert game, in logical sequence, which allows me to move very quickly and think about the project from an artistic/creative point. Other workflows can certainly get the job done, but I can't imagine they are nearly as fast or flexible from a creative standpoint. As it stands right now, Premiere cannot link external audio to video clips BEFORE laying on the timeline… which throws this workflow out the window unless you want to manually link them "after the edit" - which is even worse than anything we've mentioned in this thread. Essentially Premiere demands that you use a different edit strategy just to deal with the external audio. With FCP you can link up your external sources and then treat the footage the same as any footage - whether it had external or internal audio -- it's all the same. You can forgot about the audio factor all together from that point on.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tfg View Post
    Fair quesiton.

It's not entirely a 'bad thing' it's just slower and far less efficient. Also - I'm not sure if FCE has this feature. It might be a FCP-only item.

Think about it: once you've synced your stuff up on the timeline, how do you edit? Do you use the razor tool and start chopping up the shot? What if you're editing a conversation thats pops back and forth between angles? Do you also line up the other shot(s) and layer everything on the timeline do your edit via a bunch of razor edits? Do you build a big stack of synced shots and slide/move/razor/roll edit with your mouse on the timeline? This certainly gets the job done, but there it seems cumbersome. Seriously -- I'm interested in how a Premiere editor handles this. I'd like to see it in action.

If you didn't have to worry about audio how would you edit? Personally I would open a shot in the viewer, select an in/out point, and then overlay or insert edit the shot (I don't remember what native hotkey is, but I use F10 for my overlay and F9 for my insert). The edit process becomes a continuous overlay and insert game, in logical sequence, which allows me to move very quickly and think about the project from an artistic/creative point. Other workflows can certainly get the job done, but I can't imagine they are nearly as fast or flexible from a creative standpoint. As it stands right now, Premiere cannot link external audio to video clips BEFORE laying on the timeline… which throws this workflow out the window unless you want to manually link them "after the edit" - which is even worse than anything we've mentioned in this thread. Essentially Premiere demands that you use a different edit strategy just to deal with the external audio. With FCP you can link up your external sources and then treat the footage the same as any footage - whether it had external or internal audio -- it's all the same. You can forgot about the audio factor all together from that point on.
    Like I said, I don't have FCP, so the way that I 'linked' up audio with video in FCE was: Drop Video in a sequence timeline, drop in audio to the sequence, align audio/video to mark, link audio and video.

If the issue is to the be able in the 'viewer' to treat that sequence as a 'clip', and set various in and out points for a number of 'subclips'...

I believe that is 'doable', at least my experiments seem to indicate that. The issue is getting the sequence in the 'source' monitor, as I believe it is called in Premiere.

I'll check the following if I have time at lunch.

For the sake of terminology... the combined video and 'external' audio are in a sequence called 'the Sync'd Clip".

So, the operations one would like to do on the Sync'd Clip are:

viewing the clip in the Source monitor, and changing in/out points.

Once the Sync'd Clip is placed in some other sequence timeline (just as if it was an 'original' clip)

Opening the Sync'd Clip in the source monitor for further adjustments.

Have multiple instances of different 'sub-clips' of the Sync'd Clip in possibly a number of sequences.

----------------

The way I have been getting the Sync'd Clip to the Source monitor is simply dragging it to the Source monitor window. I will check, but I think I've done this by dragging from the project browser, as well as from a sequence timeline where I have positioned the Sync'd Clip.

I'll retrace those steps.

In FC there is the concept of 'sub-clip' and 'master-clip', so I'll check to see of the equivalents in Premiere 'work' for the Sync'd Clip.

6. Collapse Details
    Please make a feature request.
    If you'd like to request a "merge clips" feature, please let us know by filing a feature request. We really appreciate feature requests, because they help us to prioritize our work as we build software that you want to use.

7. Collapse Details
    Once they are synced, they are synced (until they drift...), you can move, cut, paste. whatever, there are many other ways to edit, and if you don't like selecting the clips, use the "nesting" function so they act like one clip. Since I used to cut the film and tape I use the razor, either just cutting all the stacked clips on the timeline, or nesting into one clip. but I'm sure that is pretty old by now.
    I like to adjust the audio between fades, so it is helpful to have each clip in frotn of me so I can draw out small sections and tweak them.
    HD Video: GH2, XA 10s HF G10s
    Microphones: Sennheiser MKH 80 MKH20 MKH40
    Neumann 11-pattern dual capsule main pair by Rens Heijnis
    Schoeps MK2, MK2H, MK21, MK41 CMC6 amps
    12 custom ribbons of my own design
    Digital Editing: Sequoia
    Snapshots: Olympus E-PL1

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Kopriva View Post
    If you'd like to request a "merge clips" feature, please let us know by filing a feature request. We really appreciate feature requests, because they help us to prioritize our work as we build software that you want to use.
    Yep, already submitted. For what it's worth - Adobe is great at being in touch like this.

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Nesting sequences is what you do and, in my opinion, is much more powerful than just doing a simple "merge" in the bin.

10. Collapse Details
    I feel compelled to once and for all explain this in the form of a web comic. Excuse by bad attempt at humor :P

PS: Premiere - I love you... but sometimes a little tough love is necessary ;)

Last edited by tfg; 11-24-2010 at 08:12 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast