Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Yak View Post
    Does any one have a clip that they can show where they recored in uncontrolled lighting, with little or no time to get to know a new camera, and caught a blown highlight that looks better than a AF-100.
    And please show your clip with out any post work just raw footage. I look forward seeing it and finding what camera was used.
    My first minute with an EX1, I shot some portraits type shots outdoors. The camera was probably set on the standard gamma (the worst IMHO for rendering skin) with sharpening cranked, etc..
    The results were nice. I now use different gamma settings, but even in a worst case scenario, the EX3 didn't give me a raw deal on skin highlights...

CLIP:

http://www.qmediasolutions.com/guest...light_test.mov

2. Collapse Details
    Going into clip is very often a creative choice, not simply the result of carelessness or situational constraints. Clip is not inherently "bad," but a sudden, chroma-shifted explosion to clip certainly is. My video camera experience goes back all the way to the HL79, and the first video camera I owned that exhibited a beautiful, filmic slope to clip was the Panasonic VariCam. The Red Camera also has a beautiful transition into clip.

The AF100 clip I'd like to see posted is one with skin tones brought into clip, but with a nice gentle transition. It's said the AF100 has 10.5 stops of dynamic range; that should be enough to avoid the problems we've observed in the Japan tests.

Good shooting and best regards,

Leo

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bennett View Post
    My first minute with an EX1, I shot some portraits type shots outdoors. The camera was probably set on the standard gamma (the worst IMHO for rendering skin) with sharpening cranked, etc..
    The results were nice. I now use different gamma settings, but even in a worst case scenario, the EX3 didn't give me a raw deal on skin highlights...

CLIP:

Nice, It looks to me that in the shots on the basket ball court the highlights on the scarf are just as "blown out" as anything from a AF-100. It just show that any new camera takes some time with before one can "dial in" the right look.

4. Collapse Details
    Until the Andromeda modification was developed, I sent in my camera for modification, and then it was a 10bit 444 CCD skin tone love fest from then on in!!! Really, it's still my favorite camera for capturing faces + people, beyond even RED and other higher end CMOS devices
    Wonder if we'll see a similar mod for the AF100 in a year or two?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bennett View Post

CLIP:

ahhh the esplanade

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12