Thread: Sony PMW-F3

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I don't fully understand the outcry over the pricing. Until we see the images, how can we say it is only worth $x or that it is not worth 3x more than another camera?

How much is 1.5 stops extra DR worth to you? an s35 sensor? 10bit? 4:4:4? What if it is downsampling perfect 1080p from a 4k sensor?

It is all about what you want out of a camera and what you think it is worth.

Let's see the images, then vote with our wallets... who knows, it could actually be close to an F35 or an Alexa for $25k with 3 PL lens. Not so bad!

2. Collapse Details
    If it did include AVCUltra, you can vet it'd be alot more than 10k...

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by vagarob View Post
    AF-100 = January Release
    AF100 is releasing in December not January

vs the AF100 where none has been detected (its still 4:1:1),
    AF100 SDI out is 4:2:2

Best

Jan
    Jan Crittenden Livingston
    Panasonic System Communications Corporation
    Partner Sales Manager, NY and NJ

4. Collapse Details
    Final thoughts for me on the F3.

I've always been a codec man. The cams with the best codec for the money are the ones that grab my attention and my wallet. In this arena, panasonic is it. DVCPROHD bests XDCAM. AVCIntra is super high quality for bitrate. AVCCAM is very competitive and bests XDCAM. Panasonic has always come through not skimping on their codecs.

End game says if this camera had XDCAM HD at this price, it would totally be twice the more reasonable of a purchase. As is, It seems like too little (codec), for too much ($15k+), and too late (after AF100).

That S35 sensor best be REALLY good if Sony is hoping to see this camera do well in the market...

5. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    Like Emanuel, I welcome Sony to this product space. If nothing else, it will offer yet another option in an increasingly expanding (and exciting) market. The more choices we have, the more we all win in the long run. And what Panasonic and Sony are doing today is clearly going to pressure Canon to follow suit.
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan_Crittenden View Post
    AF100 is releasing in December not January

AF100 SDI out is 4:2:2

Best

Jan
    With all due respect, with a December 27th shipping date it's likely no customers (dealers yes, but not us) will receive their cameras until January. May as well call it a January release.

7. Collapse Details
    To clear some of the crying up - anyone spending 16k on a body only is not in a production environment that would be using the onboard codec, regardless of what it is. it's a failsafe

the sony will have atleast one, if not two extra stops of dynamic range over the af100, which is huge. I can tell you right now, the image is going to resolve higher resolution as well. Not to mention better SNR, native 10 bit out, 444 in the future, etc

is all this worth 10k more than the af100? Not to me, and probably not to a lot of you, but we need to take a step back and realize there is a much larger market outside of budget filmmakers. Any group of people with the word "budget" in the name has never been a very high marketing priority for corporations I'd imagine

And to the person claiming a future af100 would have 444 - they would have to completely redesign the image pipeline and processing inside the camera, not to mention add another HDSDI, it would be a complete re-engineering. One I can surely tell you won't happen to a sub-10k camera

Maybe sony will come out with a direct af100 competitor, maybe canon will first and force sony to do so. Who knows, all I know is that like with the current crop of hd cameras, I'm going to sit back and wait for companies to keep one upping eachother and learning from eachothers market until an affordable, groundbreaking feature packed camera is released. Who knows who it will be! I'm in no rush to jump on the bokeh bandwagon, I'm fine with my already established ex1r pipeline
    (9:38:44 PM) ngubbet: ROYGBIV 4:4:4:4:4:4:4

8. Collapse Details
    Woah Fohdeesha, your broad claims about the quality of the Sony seem a tad... made-up to me.
    Let's withold judgement till we can see for ourselves.
    The proof will be in the pudding, as they say.

9. Collapse Details
    Fohdeesha is right, the EX1R is a great camera, gives great pictures, by NAB 2011 all will be clear and my EXR1 in the mean times gives me a great income, great pictures and good work flow. I think RED has missed the boat re Scarlet fixed, a great sham should have be out now, not in a year, as mention before no worldwide outlets or backup other than UK and USA, Pani and Sony have that all important dealer net work. THe AF101 will do really well but lm guess the mid range corporate and TV market will view the Sony with great interest.

10. Collapse Details
    Shallow Member William_Robinette's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fohdeesha View Post
    the sony will have atleast one, if not two extra stops of dynamic range over the af100, which is huge. I can tell you right now, the image is going to resolve higher resolution as well. Not to mention better SNR,
    Interesting comparison of two cameras that are not available to end users yet.

Please don't add to the FUD.

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast