Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Yes, it mixes
    Quote Originally Posted by nyvideo View Post
    I've been looking for an external recorder that can occasionally double as a mixer for three or four mics to a stereo output. One device I'm thinking about is the TASCAM DR-680. I'm hoping that someone who's used it can answer a question about it.

I've downloaded the user manual and it says "During recording, the sound recorded to each track is output from these [6] jacks." I can't find any more information in the manual about how to mix three or four mics to two stereo outputs in a live recording for live output to another source. Can someone who has used one, please tell me if this is possible and, if so, how I do this?

Thank you in advance.
    Despite what you may read online, the 680 is a fully functional mixer in the analog domain as well as digital. In the I/O menu you may select "direct", in which each analog channel is routed to the corresponding 6 outputs, or you may select "mix," in which case the mix is routed to the outputs in pairs, so 1&2 are a stereo pair, 3&4, 5&6, or, in other words, 1,3,5 are left; 2,4,6 are right.

It's set up so you can send the mix to a camera, a monitor, and a backup recorder simultaneously; choose which option you like the best--remember to check the pan and mix level for the outputs.
    HD Video: GH5, G85, ax700
    Microphones: Sennheiser MKH 80 MKH20 MKH40
    Neumann 11-pattern dual capsule main pair by Rens Heijnis
    Schoeps MK2, MK2H, MK21, MK41
    own design ribbon mics

2. Collapse Details
    Der. Dave, All that is true. However, when using the 680 as a field mixer, there are no individual trim controls, so you have to select the channel you are going to adjust one at a time. When I used mine, I figured I could ride two channels if the audio wasn't too crazy. If you could set the levels and not worry about things too much, then everything was good. But don't kid yourself, riding a bunch of channels given that limitation and the pretty small lcd, is not my idea of fun. Don't get me wrong, I liked the 680; bang for the buck it was great, but to call it a production mixer is a bit of a stretch. Putting a 302 in front of it was a great combo.

Grant

3. Collapse Details
    Actually you can select multiple trim inputs, mixer volumes/pans and solo channels. I used to do it... I don't recall how though. Yeah it's not very good for mixing on-the-fly for sure.
    I used a 302 front end as well for the boom(s), the wireless went line level in.

4. Collapse Details
    Have any of you guys looked at the date on the OP. I doubt that he is interested 7 years later, especially since it is an obsolete record nowadays.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12