Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    hear hear. complainers are obviously soiled by FF. guess what? if you want ultra wide, stick with a 5d moire II.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo_viral View Post
    So, the 20mm 1.7 would be consider a nice wide angle option, acording to film standards, in a m4/3 chip?
    No. But a 14mm 2.5 is not a bad start. A 7-14 mm f 4.0 is slow but a great lens. I you need it shorter than 14 mm and faster and have a PL adapter: rent a Zeiss .

Should there be a, say, 12 mm f 1.4 ? Yes. Nice to have. If anybody will produce it, I may buy it.

postscriptum:

Voigtlander has just announced a 75mm f 1.8 with leica m-mount. Maybe they will go for shorter & faster soon.

3. Collapse Details
    A 12mm 1.9 zeiss can be had for about $20,000 or whatever the daily rent is, I don't think the superspeeds or newer master primes go that wide.

Everything is a compromise, but I think at the price point panasonic is offering usable solutions at the wide end.

4. Collapse Details
    Finally somebody came out and said it and got some attention...I am also so sick of people talking about crop-factor this and oh no the sensor is too small that. The sensor is too small compared to what?! It's the largest sensor ever put in a sub-$10,000 dedicated video-camera.

Also, there's that 14mm f/2.5 coming out soon, that'll be nice.

If you need wider than that just move the damn camera back, and if you need faster than that just add some damn lights.

5. Collapse Details
    11-16 f2.8 nikon mount tokina with the correct m43 to f-mount with aperture controller == problem fixed
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by J Davis View Post
    11-16 f2.8 nikon mount tokina with the correct m43 to f-mount with aperture controller == problem fixed
    Bingo. Not sure why anyone is complaining about lack of wide lenses for this camera.
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by J Davis View Post
    hoping the electronic eos adapters dont end up insanely expensive.. i want to be able to use my 11-16 EF mount tokina..

8. Collapse Details
    The Panasonic 7-14mm is only f4, but as it's a rectilinear lens, it's a fantastic looking wide angle lens. In a low-light situation you could always drop the shutter to 1/24th which would give you an extra stop of light. And given the building opinion that 800 ISO is perfectly useable on the AF100, there's about another stop right there. I think the 7-14mm is a perfectly good (albeit mildly expensive) choice for ultra-wide angle. And if f4 at 800 ISO at 1/24th is not enough light, as Ben_B says, add some lights! After all, we're filmmakers!

9. Collapse Details
    I began thinking about those who have a Rebel, 7D, nikon D80 or other APS-C sensor camera any of the EF-S type lenses will be almost the telephoto size as is marked on the lens (a 24mm will be a 30mm), and EF-S lenses are often cheaper than EF lenses.

Think of it. Good but cheap glass from a variety of manufacturers, little telephoto effect and almost no chance of vignetting because APS-C is slightly bigger.

I know for electronics to function you'll have to wait for a Birger Engineering to offer thier mount, but they certainly aware of what a good market this would be for them. I expect it will be offered soon after the aF100 is offered.

10. Collapse Details
    Cinematography/Lighting Mod Ryan Patrick O'Hara's Avatar
    Indeed, as mentioned focal length and field of view are related but not interchangeable when discussing topics such as these.

18mm tends to be the widest prime lens commonly found in 35mm motion picture or S35mm motion picture photography. Going wider is totally an option. Also, take into account anamorphics which double the horizontal FoV... so a 50mm anamorphic would have the FoV of a 50mm lens vertically, but horizontally would be the equivalent to a 25mm.

Of course, start talking about 4/3" chip, 2/3" chip, 16mm, full frame photography and etc.... these numbers change. Wide angle and telephoto can be relative.

If cinematography wasn't infinite, I'm sure I would have found the end by now.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast