Thread: Birger Mount

Page 37 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jdesignhi View Post
    Actually, the problem, as I see it, is that these companies communicate TOO MUCH about their unreleased products!
    Yes, many outfits do that. There may be many reasons for this strategy, and most of them have very short term effectiveness with rather quick expiration date. This strategy when used out of alignment with the new product introduction (NPI) process may soon become detrimental. Think how many RED One prospects had second thoughts based on Epic/Scarlet rumor mill, or went with another brand altogether to "bridge over." And how many competitors were given advance notice complete with feature shopping lists? On the other hand, many start-ups use rumors to heat up the segment when they want to affect upcoming investment or an imminent acquisition. There could be many reasons and, I hope (for their own sake) marketeers at RED know what they are doing...

If you look at just the 2 examples discussed here lately, both outfits are young entrants with low organizational maturity still operating the entrepreneurial style. Lack of experience with NPI, track record, low capitalization, lack of resources, high risks, weak sales/ customer support/ manufacturing channels are just a few common attributes. No wonder that marketing runs rampant at times (or most of the time).

Whatever the root cause of this strategy, prospects are encouraged to exercise their own judgement including seeking counsel from the community. This forum has vast collective experience, and I found that many won't mind sharing their opinion on just about anything.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burnett View Post
    Let's keep this on the topic of the birger mount and not devolve into which camera or company is better.
    The Birger mount is not a product. It's a dream... a six month old dream. Unrealized, and unfulfilled.
    _/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/

Jeff DePonte
    http//www.jdesign.tv

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jdesignhi View Post
    The Birger mount is not a product. It's a dream... a six month old dream. Unrealized, and unfulfilled.
    Dreams do come true if you believe! :P
    formerly know as grimepoch.

4. Collapse Details
    Sounds very much Disney, Rick.

5. Collapse Details
    Haha! Well I am an optimist! I want the AF100 mount to come out so the FS100 mount can come after that!!!!
    formerly know as grimepoch.

6. Collapse Details
    Let's hope that Birger has learned from this experience and will be more responsible with their announcements, and responsive to failed commitments. But I think we can move forward, and appreciate how great this device will be. It must be a huge endeavor and negative criticism is never a motivator. I suggest we them be, and allow them to concentrate on delivering. Okay, stepping down from the pulpit now.. sorry.
    c100 - Canon L's and FD's
    Madison College Instructor: Madison, WI

7. Collapse Details
    I am truly sorry for the delay.
    My announcement of this product was premature. Please note the use of "my" rather than "our". Rather than further compound my mistake, I am choosing not to announce the release date until two weeks prior to shipment. My employees do not have any other answers to offer when calling on the phone. Insisting on a release date, or some other inside information, is not going to change this decision. This is a strategic product for Birger, and is to be the first released on our new platform. We are working through the details to get this into production.

A very wise man once said, "If you can't build it, it isn't a product." That man was my father. I grew up around the machine shop at the heart of his company as a child, and worked after school helping to assemble their products. Building stuff is in my blood. And, coincidentally, building stuff is what we do here at Birger. We are gearing up to go from a company producing products in thousands of units per year, to thousands per month. This has required some change in the ways in which our products are designed, and built. And, this has required us as a company to learn some new manufacturing processes.

I will tell the stories after we are done. Most have been rather mundane. Two of the funnier stories involve a custom built lathe, that showed up four months late, weighed 500lbs more than the spec (too heavy for the elevator) and 12 inches wider than spec (too wide for the door). And the new vapor phase reflow oven that literally fell off the back of a fedex truck, and had to go back to the factory to be checked out before being redelivered two weeks ago. These stories are funny now, because they are no longer gating the result, and the new processes that these pieces of equipment represent, are now fully up and running.

I think the "transparency", that some of my counterparts at other so-called "American" companies talk about, has been disingenuous at best. They tell of the problems, and the brilliant solutions. They tell of the progress, as it inches along, only to later tell that there is yet another issue. They talk of the outside factors that are at fault. I used to be that guy. It does nobody any benefit. Certainly not the heads of the companies. Certainly not the customers. I am not going to tell you what the issues are, or what details are left. I have not been that guy for quite some time.

The important details are as follow: We are working on the AF100 to EF product; This product is of strategic importance to me and to Birger; It isn't quite ready yet; We will tell everyone that signs up for our "general news" email list (now numbering over 1500 strong) two weeks ahead of shipping any new products.

I look back on this experience to date, and I see one mistake that matters, I set a date that we (I and Birger) did not meet. The other market communication was an important part of learning what was wanted in a product. And, I think a better product is coming as a result. I am sorry for the delay.

Lastly, there was no release date in this post, and our lack of offering a release date, or talking publicly, should not be interpreted as a lack of seriousness with which we pursue this development, nor should it be taken as an indication that the release of the product is way off into the future.
    Last edited by Birger; 06-22-2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: grammar
    Erik Widding
    Birger Engineering, Inc.

8. Collapse Details
    Erik,
    I have no problems with the delay just so promise that when it does get released its widely available and easy to obtain

9. Collapse Details
    As Dcloud said, whenever it comes out is OK (sooner is of course better) as long as there's one unit for me to buy when it does!!

10. Collapse Details
    Birger has told me that their plan is to release a product in wide release, worldwide, on day one. No trickle-out slow release, no massive backorders, but wide availability worldwide on the first day.

Thanks Erik for an eloquent summation of the situation.

I, for one, appreciate the decision to just get back to doing, instead of worrying about announcing and updating. We now have everything we need to know -- the Birger is not imminent, we don't know when it will come out, but we will know about two weeks before it begins shipping.

Page 37 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast