Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Can I see some nature videos with your HMC-150
    Hi, I am interested in getting a HMC150. I know it can shoot film like shots. What I would like to know is if it can shoot vivid color, tru life HD footage you see on nature shows that are in HD.
    I would like to use a camera like this to shoot wildlife and also for deer hunting videos.
    If you have an youtube videos or other places your videos are, please pass along a link.
    also, any comments to let me know if this is a good HD wildlife camera.
    thanks for your time.

2. Collapse Details
    Yellowstone video that I shot last year:

http://vimeo.com/5333943

The HMC150 shoots beautiful videos in nature. Oddly enough, the one complaint I have about the camera is also one of my favorite features....the wide angle lens. Because of the wide angle of the stock lens, the HMC150 only has a 13x zoom. On the shot of the grizzly in the Yellowstone video, I was a few hundred feet away at max zoom. I would like to have gotten some closer shots, but I couldn't safely go any closer to the bear. I am considering buying a DSLR with video capability (I want one anyway) along with the HMC for this purpose. A telephoto converter is another option.

Another thing to consider is that you may be less likely to get harassed by the park employees about filming fees if you are carrying a DSLR rather than a prosumer (professional looking to the layperson) camcorder like the HMC150. I've never had a problem, but I've heard of some who have.

Other than this, its a good wildlife camera.

3. Collapse Details
    http://vimeo.com/9096781

It's not mine, but it has a deer in it!
    DT (Dell)Win 7, i5-650, 3.20 GHz, 8GB Ram, GTS240, Win 7 / LT (HP)-i7 CPU Q820@1.73GHz, 8GB Ram, GT230M

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic View Post
    I am considering buying a DSLR with video capability (I want one anyway) along with the HMC for this purpose. A telephoto converter is another option.
    For reference, the 70-200 on a 7D is about the same zoom as the HMC, so you would need to go longer than 200mm on a 1.6 crop body or longer than about 360mm on a 5D2. Provided you have enough light a 7D + 100-400L would be good - as long as you take a sturdy tripod. The slightest shake at that focal length would destroy the footage due to the rolling shutter on the CMOS sensors.
    C100 + Ninja 2, 5D3, Canon XF + XA, GH4, FCPX, FCP7, CS6 etc
    Corporate & Event Videos
    Photo Booth Hire in Yorkshire

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic View Post
    Yellowstone video that I shot last year:

http://vimeo.com/5333943

The HMC150 shoots beautiful videos in nature. Oddly enough, the one complaint I have about the camera is also one of my favorite features....the wide angle lens. Because of the wide angle of the stock lens, the HMC150 only has a 13x zoom. On the shot of the grizzly in the Yellowstone video, I was a few hundred feet away at max zoom. I would like to have gotten some closer shots, but I couldn't safely go any closer to the bear. I am considering buying a DSLR with video capability (I want one anyway) along with the HMC for this purpose. A telephoto converter is another option.

Another thing to consider is that you may be less likely to get harassed by the park employees about filming fees if you are carrying a DSLR rather than a prosumer (professional looking to the layperson) camcorder like the HMC150. I've never had a problem, but I've heard of some who have.

Other than this, its a good wildlife camera.
    I keep hearing how low profile the 7d is and the like but here Ive been harrassed with the 7d and nifty fifty a couple of times
    It's not that low profile in developing countries that's forsure.

6. Collapse Details
    http://vimeo.com/15498607 T2i/550D i would never kill them though.

7. Collapse Details
    We shoot underwater as well as below water with this camera. Underwater is of course a lot more difficult, but the HMC blows away consumer cameras in these conditions because of the challenging light. The colors just pop way more. It is worth the hassle at the end of the day of using a 60lb beast of a housing and getting all the mechanical controls to work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDI9FdIHjmA
    This was shot when we first got the camera and housing, but we've been playing with setting and can get even better colors now.

http://www.loggerheadfilms.com/andros.html
    This is an hour long, but you are welcome to view if you like ;). But if you want to see some underwater stuff, let it load and go to: 26:07. There is a few minutes of footage there, and a couple of the fish shots were shot on a Sony HC1 so you can REALLY tell the color difference.

33:10 has a bonefishing sequence and we got some cool shots there too, half underwater with the fish and half out with the fish.

38:24 is an egret sequence, shot in 24p and 60p for slow mo.

kairosmatt

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Everts View Post
    I keep hearing how low profile the 7d is and the like but here Ive been harrassed with the 7d and nifty fifty a couple of times
    It's not that low profile in developing countries that's forsure.
    Lol...that sucks. Around here, DSLR's are commonplace among "soccer moms", and seem to draw little attention. Also, still cameras seem to appear to the layperson (and park rangers) as being more for hobby use than large video cameras in general, at least in the national parks. Also, I often have my wife and kids with me (or at least one of my kids) which gives me a distinctively "tourist" look.

Quote Originally Posted by Exact View Post
    For reference, the 70-200 on a 7D is about the same zoom as the HMC, so you would need to go longer than 200mm on a 1.6 crop body or longer than about 360mm on a 5D2. Provided you have enough light a 7D + 100-400L would be good - as long as you take a sturdy tripod. The slightest shake at that focal length would destroy the footage due to the rolling shutter on the CMOS sensors.
    Thanks man, this is great info.
    Last edited by DaFireMedic; 10-21-2010 at 09:36 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    Oops, double post.

10. Collapse Details
    A promotional video shot for the Moorings. We were on a boat in the Andaman Sea for 2 weeks. All shot with the HMC 150 and the Spark setting with minimal colour correction using Color. Lot of Smoothcam filtering going on if you see any funky shifting in the shots. The underwater footage was shot with a little Sony HDV and a Pentax Optio 90

http://vimeo.com/15263925

It's not exactly a nature film, but lot's of great outdoor shots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast