1. Collapse Details
    Best bag or hard case for Canon 7D with following lenses???
    What would be the ideal camera bag or hard case for this particular gear setup???

I've heard of Portabrace bags and pelican cases, but have no idea which one would best suit this setup:

Canon 7D w 18-135mm f/3.5 stock lens
    Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
    Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM
    Canon 17-55mm f/2.8
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
    Small HD DP6 Monitor
    H4N Zoom Audio Recorder

Thanks very much in advance.

2. Collapse Details
    You would need a pretty big one. I wouldn't go smaller that a 1550. Probably something with wheels like this one: http://www.casesbypelican.com/1514-photo.htm

It's the biggest one you can fly with, and it has enough slots for all your gear.

3. Collapse Details
    Hi and thanks for replying so quickly. What about a camera bag instead of a pelican hard case? Right now I currently own a Loweprow sling bag but I fear it won't be enough to hold the new lenses I ordered. Thanks for your feedback.

4. Collapse Details
    Hi Nicholas,

I was actually on a budget that's why I made one myself ala ThinkTank bag. I used an old foam/mattress and an old Samsonite bag. I was able to squeeze in my Canon 7D and T2i. I just posted it on my blog actually
    Here's the link: http://berniehipos.com/2010/10/17/diy-thinktank-bag/

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Canon 7D | Canon T2i | DVX100b | DVC30 | Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo | Final Cut Studio 2 | AE-8 | Libec Tripod | AT875R Shotgun Mic | GlideTrack | Poorman's Steadycam | DIY Jib | DIY DSLR Rig |

5. Collapse Details
    It really is your preference. I'm a pelican dude, they can be stood or sat on, submerged, shot with a shotgun, and other random s*%t. I'm not a gun dude, I'm a camera dude, but they are almost the same thing. If I was a gun nut, I would need this:

http://www.casesbypelican.com/military/m249.htm

You can't go wrong if the case can hold everything you need it to.

6. Collapse Details

7. Collapse Details
    @ Bernie Hipos

that looks like polyurethane foam, which desintegrates with time and emits some gases which allegedly can damage the coating on your lenses

it may be a very slow process, maybe so slow that it shouldn't be a concern, but anyhow... if you see its color starts to change near the corners or something, throw it out

I'm going to build something like that in the next couple of months, though maybe even bigger, with a case that opens in the middle (I won't be able to carry it as hand baggage on a plane, but I want to put my led lights and shoulder support in the same package, so I need to have two blocks of foam instead of just one)

I'll use polyethylene foam, which is a bit more expensive but doesn't degrade with time

8. Collapse Details
    Hi Norman I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up. Cheers!

Canon 7D | Canon T2i | DVX100b | DVC30 | Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo | Final Cut Studio 2 | AE-8 | Libec Tripod | AT875R Shotgun Mic | GlideTrack | Poorman's Steadycam | DIY Jib | DIY DSLR Rig |

9. Collapse Details
    I have all the stuff you listed, plus quite a bit more and it all fits into this bag -- The Lowepro Vertex 300AW. It's listed at $250 retail, but you can a bunch on Ebay (at least 6 months ago when I bought it) for 1/2 the price, brand new.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...35020_PEU.html

A backpack is much easier to deal with than a pelican case. You're much more mobile. I went on a shoot to Peru and I could take my camera backpack on the plane which was nice. But there was a lot of running around and nature type shots, so a backpack was a must. I also have a Pelican case for my film 16mm motion picture camera. I can say that a backpack is much nicer to deal with.
    Last edited by gene_can_sing; 11-12-2010 at 09:10 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    I like my Lowepro SlingShot 202 AW. It carries everything I need for a day of shooting (minus camera support) without being overly cumbersome. It offers an amazing amount of customization options with the adjustable padded compartments. The top compartment safely and easily houses camera + base plate with an attached 50mm lens.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/...-AW,2192,4.htm