Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Looks Awesome !!

2. Collapse Details
    Is it possible to make downloable version?
    May be even in HD?
    And one for iPad also?

I really enjoyed Sound DVD (yeah, I have unique copy sign personally by Barry :-) ). It is made really good and it is funny :-).
    Looking at Mythbusters shot it looks like this one will be similar :-)

From marketing standpoint it is good to make small "trailer" preview.
    Like 10-12 minutes.
    I think that the start and overview must be really good and could go as such thing.

3. Collapse Details
    A trailer is in the works. Thanks for your compliments on Sound! The Sound trailer is pretty much the intro, as you mention . . .
    LEARN FILMMAKING -- DIGITAL DOWNLOADS of great tutorials - see screen shots, preview reels, and more

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE

4. Collapse Details
    I just ordered it! Lighting is my weakness and I readily admit it. I can't wait to delve into this.

5. Collapse Details
    This looks great! I've wanted something to give my lighting an oomph. I'm definitely considering buying this (or asking it for Christmas).

Is the DVD directed more to beginners or is it a bit more advanced? Or is there something for everyone?
    "Dialogue should simply be a sound among other sounds, just something that comes out of the mouths of people whose eyes tell the story in visual terms." - Alfred Hitchcock

6. Collapse Details
    We teach you the fundamentals and then go much more in depth and show you how they're applied by professionals in a real-world environment, by breaking down the lighting in the two short films -- both in terms of actual lighting placement and instruments, and in terms of artistic intent (which is the whole point of cinematic lighting to begin with!).

I'm hesitant to say "something for everyone," because I'm sure someone somewhere will come along and say "meh, nothing new there" -- but it's absolutely intended to be valuable to beginners and more advanced people alike.

It's not the be-all end-all, but it's got a lot to offer.
    LEARN FILMMAKING -- DIGITAL DOWNLOADS of great tutorials - see screen shots, preview reels, and more

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE

7. Collapse Details
    I've seen several lighting tutorials, and I think we approached it differently from everyone else. Lots of discs/tapes are crammed with "tips" and "tricks", but very few teach you the actual WHY behind what you're doing. We tried to give a whole bunch of why, on the theory that we'd rather teach the man how to fish, than just give him a fish. That said, it's comparable in instruction level to our Sound For Film & Television DVD. Lots and lots of people love it, and there are always some who say "I knew that already" -- but even many of those have said "but I didn't realize why, until you explained it." If I were to classify it I'd say that the lighting disc package is going to be valuable for folks at any level from beginner to intermediate; but even those who consider themselves advanced may learn a thing or two from the instructional segments, and then we go into the case studies and the opportunity to sit with a master like Macgregor and have him explain what he did and how he did it and why it was done, that's something that I think anybody of any level could benefit from experiencing.

8. Collapse Details
    I've just ordered mine too ... Yipee
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Camera operator in Singapore and Sydney.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    I've seen several lighting tutorials, and I think we approached it differently from everyone else. Lots of discs/tapes are crammed with "tips" and "tricks", but very few teach you the actual WHY behind what you're doing. We tried to give a whole bunch of why, on the theory that we'd rather teach the man how to fish, than just give him a fish.
    Thanks for the info guys. That quote above sold it for me. I mean I know three point lighting, and I know what each light does, and the purpose behind them. With that I "use" three point lighting as a guide, just to know how I may approach a scene. Time and time again though I see instructional videos and read books that give a 'formula' for how to do it. I even saw a really bad one that explained exactly the angle to put, and how strong to make the light. I HATE that. I want something that breaks things down for me, that does exactly what you described so I can study and learn from people using these things in practical settings. Not so I can copy, but just learn...

Like you said, teach a man to fish.

I'll be putting this on my Christmas list, or buying it, one way or another.
    "Dialogue should simply be a sound among other sounds, just something that comes out of the mouths of people whose eyes tell the story in visual terms." - Alfred Hitchcock

10. Collapse Details
    Done, ordered along with the 'Hot Moves' just released from Hollywood Camera Works... Show your support and get 'em while they're hot...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast