Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
  1. Collapse Details
    Joystick Member Richard J. Johnson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Hey man, congrats on placing in the finals! Forgive me for not posting sooner, I hadn't had a chance to watch this until now.

As I'm sure others have said, I found it hard to believe that this guy could be tricked that easily. I'm not a "professional" by any means, but I know that if I were going to go kill someone, I wouldn't let my target try and talk his way out of it... Or give him his gun... Or drink anything that he's not drinking.

On the story level, I had a hard time identifying with either of the characters. Never knew who was "the good guy" and who was "the bad guy" or why I should care if either of them lives or dies by the end. It's an important part of any story that we be given a reason to care about the protagonist and this usually ties into the theme or moral of the story. Otherwise what are we left with when the show's over?

There were some excellent shots in the film. Loved the dolly shot and pans during the assembly scene. I also really dig the idea of an assembly draw - never seen that before! May I ask what was the motivation to shoot the film in black and white?
    Thanks for checking it out mike! They were both bad, and that is something I wrestled with.

I think the shot selection had a lot to with your review. I literally had 3 days to shoot and edit the movie and if I would have had longer the audience would have saw a different angle. My head was all over the place and we forgot some very important scenes that would have changed a lot. But I'm glad you liked it man.

2. Collapse Details
    Congrats Rich. I said you had a solid short here when I first saw it and I'm glad that you made the finals. If you can turn this out in such a short time, think of what you can do with a bigger timescale and planning. I loved the short and I'm still waiting for the sequel to 'the puppeteer'!

3. Collapse Details
    What Darkline said. Also, Rich, I have done many entries at the last minute. It's almost like cramming an entry in should be a separate judging, it is a feat all itself.
    good work per usual man.
    Matt Harris
    Director / Composer / Colorist / Motion graphics
    http://www.imdb.me/matthewrichardharris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE
    BOUNTY ON A DEAD MAN'S HEAD / VACCINE / NO HORIZON / THE BOATSHED / CLEAR SPACE

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910