Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Three Strip Technicolor
    Trying to emulate three-strip Technicolor. I have tried the Magic Bullet Epic setting and dislike it. Below is my attempt by hand to emulate but would like to know if others have done so successfully and how they did it perhaps with some screen shots. I am editing in Vegas and using After Effects FYI.

Any tips or suggestions welcome
    Canon 60D

2. Collapse Details
    Looks close, nice job. If you are a mac editor, you could try the free FCP plugins here: http://pistolerapost.com/pluginz/

Jason

3. Collapse Details
    Looks good. How'd you do it?

-Shot in El Director Vision-
    FIND US ON FACEBOOK

Writer/Director/Producer/Cinematographer/Editor/Composer/Stuntman
    BMD URSA Mini 4K/Avid MC 8.4/NukeX 10/Blender/Mixcraft 8/ProTools 12/Resolve Studio 14

Feature Films
    Wulf-2008 | Leap-2010 | Leap: Rise of the Beast-2011 | Leap: Revelation-2016

4. Collapse Details
    Shot it with the Canon 7D w/Agfa custom camera setting, Nikkor 50mm 1.4, reflectors, NDs, and simply used the AAV colorlab plugin in Vegas with color curves in after effects
    Last edited by boulder; 10-04-2010 at 08:30 PM.
    Canon 60D

5. Collapse Details
    Cinematography/Lighting Mod Ryan Patrick O'Hara's Avatar
    what is really cool, to me anyhow, is that three strip technicolor is very close to bayer pattern cmos as far as capture. Cmos bayer pattern is photosites that record 25% red, 25% blue and 50% green. Technicolor uses prisms and three strips of film to divert 25% of the light to the red emulsion, 25% of the light to the blue emulsion and 50% of the light to the green emulsion. Cool huh? I love it when old film tech.mirrors new digital. LOVE it

If cinematography wasn't infinite, I'm sure I would have found the end by now.

6. Collapse Details
    I have tried the Aviator settings etc too and even though I understand it may be closer technically to the original three strip, to my eyes it still misses. The colors are all pumped up but when I look at screen grabs etc of say Hitchcock films around the 50's/60's, the colors ain't as blatant. Look at the blues

catch1.jpg

catch2.jpg

catch3.jpg

If we applied the Aviator method these shots would look like candy.
    Canon 60D

7. Collapse Details
    Junior Member Patrick Sheffield's Avatar
    I think if you take the "Aviator" algorithm, desaturate it to about 0.6, then maybe compress with blacks at .1 and whites at .91, you'll get something that's a bit more accurate. Still nice solid colors, but not candy apple...

Patrick
    Last edited by Patrick Sheffield; 10-05-2010 at 08:54 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    maybe...
    Canon 60D

9. Collapse Details
    Cinematography/Lighting Mod Ryan Patrick O'Hara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boulder View Post
    Trying to emulate three-strip Technicolor. I have tried the Magic Bullet Epic setting and dislike it. Below is my attempt by hand to emulate but would like to know if others have done so successfully and how they did it perhaps with some screen shots. I am editing in Vegas and using After Effects FYI.

Any tips or suggestions welcome

I thought it looked good. Does have that technicolor feel, for the most part. You've gotten much closer than most. I think texture is the only thing left to accomplish.

The only thing, off topic, that caught my eye... is the over-shallow DoF when he pulls the box from the sand. Day exteriors usually have deeper dof. It's not right or wrong, just less typical and stood out to me. Other than that, the wind seems to be blowing your shiny board bounce-fill around and the detective's mustache is about to take flight in the wind! You might want to submerge the Police boat hull a little more, give it some atmospheric haze and a slight buoyant bounce in the water. It sits there and guides my eye in the wide. :P

I really really liked the scene. I thought it was an older film at first.

If cinematography wasn't infinite, I'm sure I would have found the end by now.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Patrick O'Hara View Post
    I thought it looked good. Does have that technicolor feel, for the most part. You've gotten much closer than most. I think texture is the only thing left to accomplish.

The only thing, off topic, that caught my eye... is the over-shallow DoF when he pulls the box from the sand. Day exteriors usually have deeper dof. It's not right or wrong, just less typical and stood out to me. Other than that, the wind seems to be blowing your shiny board bounce-fill around and the detective's mustache is about to take flight in the wind! You might want to submerge the Police boat hull a little more, give it some atmospheric haze and a slight buoyant bounce in the water. It sits there and guides my eye in the wide. :P

I really really liked the scene. I thought it was an older film at first.
    Thanks. On the closeup box scene I was trying to make it look overlit and a bit staged as some of those movies tended to not go for a natural look but more concerned with lighting it properly. Bounce reflectors were a problem...needed stronger hands from the crew. Yes, his $2 mustache is my little joke, someimes in other scenes it's a bit crooked or higher up on his lip etc. Still needing to loop portions of the audio though. Will do your suggestions on the boat stuff, thanks!
    Canon 60D

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast