Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MR Fanny View Post
    yeah just print it out and stick it in, the camera will do the rest =)
    I forgot whether it should be put in the SD slot or in the battery slot...

2. Collapse Details
    Does anyone have Pappas' spinning chart? It's vital again since the new Ptool is out. Please upload it somewhere!

3. Collapse Details
    Hey! @PappasArts your links are dead. Is there another way to get them?
    Victor Lazaro - Director, DP, Camera Op
    twitter - @LazaroFilm
    -- www.victorlazaro.com --

Panasonic GH2
    Panasonic AG-HPX171E - P2HD
    Shoot on RED Epic from Pamoramic.tv
    Nikon and Lumix glass
    Express35 - Run n' gun shoulder rig
    SmallHD DP6 monitor...

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenixone View Post
    Hey! @PappasArts your links are dead. Is there another way to get them?
    Not at this time unfortunately Phenixone. So much going on, and it's buried in drives. I'll give a look soon. I'm sure someone saved the rotating version, as well the static.
    The rotating one is excellent for testing codecs in highly detailed movement. If anyone has got them, please re-post them.....

Pappas
    http://PAPPASARTS.WORDPRESS.COM
    http://TWITTER.COM/PAPPASARTS

BlackMagic Digital Camera Info: http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...mp-Latest-Info

“The talent of an artist is never measured on how real they can create something, it’s on how much life they can give it”

5. Collapse Details
    The value of the PappasArts charts is that they represent the most detail you'll probably encounter in the real world. The determination of that, however, is entirely arbitrary. For example, if the PappasArts chart included big variations in color, it would stress the codec even more. If you present any compression based codec with truly random imagery, it will fail. The Zip compression algorithm, for example, cannot compress random data at all. Compression only works to the degree that data isn't random. I went out and bought a upholstery remnant that is very busy and colorful, and it has a lot of three dimensional detail as well. If I use that to test codecs they all - without exception - fail miserably. That's because the remnant, unlike any chart I've seen or am able to come up with, has tremendous variation in detail, color, shading, etc....

Having said all that - I think the PappasArts charts strike a very good standard for testing. There is little to be gained by going too far with detail, color, etc... as I can tell you in advance how that sort of testing will work out - that is, with inevitable failure because it runs contrary to the whole idea behind compression in the first place.

Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12