Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    This piece needs time to breathe it all happens so quick. Some good shots and the short looks good and is edited quite well. I'm sure you've heard about your actors so I won't really go into it. That being said, the woman playing the wife does a good job, I believed her arc in the short time she had. I liked the concept, the idea was really cool but the execution leaves something to be desired. Nice work, keep it up.

2. Collapse Details
    Hey there! I'm a bit late getting to this, so I'll skip over the comments that have been said and focus on what went right in this film. First, story, nice twists, good characters. Could have gotten into it a bit faster (first scene between husband and wife could be chopped in half and still gotten the point across). But I appreciated that there WAS a story here. Thanks for that. I also really liked the look of those scenes in the kitchen (just watch your focus). Can't really say why I liked it, but it appealed to me.

Nice job overall.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Anthony Horrigan View Post
    I'm a little late...

Very good looking and nicely put together short. From the framing of shots, editing, etc...

The wife was pretty convincing in her role. I liked her.
    The sound/music seemed to overpower a line or two at the end.

Good stuff all around though. I could see what was going to occur but just shortly before it happened so that's good. Some interesting shots as well.

Congrats on a good entry.

Cheers,

MAH
    Thanks for the kind words and taking time to watch Michael!

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyz View Post
    Hey I really enjoyed this and thought it had that 'x factor' thing going on, that intangible but noticeable fun thing that can happen in well directed material. So much so that I hardly noticed the cinematography and editing, unfortunately the acting was very wooden, hot blonde cop always helps though, Great intro and I LOVED the soundtrack, well done, most entertaining entry ive watched so far :-)
    Thanks very much dwyz, glad you were entertained

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKilloran View Post
    This piece needs time to breathe it all happens so quick.
    Yeah my pacing suffered with the cuts I made. I should have done a better job.

the woman playing the wife does a good job, I believed her arc in the short time she had.
    Thanks for complimenting her, I thought she did a great job!

I liked the concept, the idea was really cool but the execution leaves something to be desired. Nice work, keep it up.
    Will try to execute that much better next time. Thanks for posting your critique!

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyO View Post
    Hey there! I'm a bit late getting to this, so I'll skip over the comments that have been said and focus on what went right in this film. First, story, nice twists, good characters. Could have gotten into it a bit faster (first scene between husband and wife could be chopped in half and still gotten the point across). But I appreciated that there WAS a story here. Thanks for that. I also really liked the look of those scenes in the kitchen (just watch your focus). Can't really say why I liked it, but it appealed to me.

Nice job overall.
    Hey, I'm late getting to this myself Thank you for the suggestions. I guess my problem was I did all my chopping in editing, instead of in the story. I didn't quite realize how long it was going to be til most of it was shot, and I didn't have time to re-write and shoot again. So I definitely need to work on that.

Thanks for the critiques and suggestions!

7. Collapse Details
    Just watched this again. Next time out, try and watch your use of fade-in/fade-outs and dissolves. I feel like almost every scene in this short is bookended by a dissolve or fade-out and it feels a little repetitive. Try exploring other techniques like match cuts, jump cuts and crash cuts. It's surprising how much you can do with a simple cut instead of relying on effect-transitions.

8. Collapse Details
    BTW - I really like all the posters, but I think #3 really fits the film the best.

Watch the film (1/21/13) HERE!

iZaza Slider...Do you?

9. Collapse Details
    Advice to make the finals: Top story - could have been a winner IMO. I think you can say a lot without saying so much. These actors had a lot of dialogue at times which made me unsure if the acting suffered because of that or ... Overall Id say your shots and sound are strong enough to get you through. I think you need to just get the story and actors down a little tighter.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

ECHOES DOCUMENTARY - PURCHASE ON VIMEO ON DEMAND - ALL FUNDS GO TO THE CITY OF RIKUZENTAKAKA TO HELP CONTINUE THE REBUILD. https://vimeo.com/ondemand/echoesdocumentary

10. Collapse Details
    Mike - Thanks for that...I didn't notice it myself, but now that you pointed it out...I do heheh
    Marlon - Thanks man! Sometimes inspiration hits ya and sometimes it doesn't. I had to make two others before I got the idea for the third!
    Noel - Thanks a lot! You're right, less is more. I will definitely focus on the ensuring the story and actors are air tight next time.

Thank you all for the suggestions and critiques!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345