1. Collapse Details
    Quick Help with Extension Cord Wattage Question
    Bronze Member
    Hi guys I have a shoot tomorrow during which I'll be using my 2k for the first time. I've never used as huge of a light before and will probably have to run it via extension cords from a 20amp circuit in the basement. My question is, I know extension cords are supposedly rated for certain amount of wattage.

I have several heavy duty orange extension cords, you know those orange workman ones you'd buy at a home depot or something with the thick cord. However I don't see the max wattage stamped on them anywhere and was just wondering if anyone here can tell me in general if these will handle 2000watts or whether they too are sometimes rated for lower stuff? I did a test in my own home first just to make sure and I kept the 2k on for about 10-15 min with the extension cord and it got warm but never super hot or anything, I wonder if this is a good sign and/or confirmation that it's fine? Or is it even turning warm a bad sign that the cord can't handle it?

Much appreciated fast responses thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    i can't speak for your situation, but my basic orange extension chords are rated at 1800 watts. howd the shoot go? any problems with the chord?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dv416 View Post
    i can't speak for your situation, but my basic orange extension chords are rated at 1800 watts. howd the shoot go? any problems with the chord?
    For 2000 W @ 110 VAC, or 18 A, an extension cord rated for 20 A, that is 12 guage cord, should be used. However, the receptacle should be rated for 20 A as well, and is indicated by the additional 'perpendicular' blade slot, if the receptacle has been correctly installed to match the amperage available.

Hopefully nothing bad happened...

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Homunculus View Post
    My question is, I know extension cords are supposedly rated for certain amount of wattage.

I have several heavy duty orange extension cords, you know those orange workman ones you'd buy at a home depot or something with the thick cord. However I don't see the max wattage stamped on them anywhere and was just wondering if anyone here can tell me in general if these will handle 2000watts or whether they too are sometimes rated for lower stuff?
    Electrical cables and connectors are not typically rated for watts. They are rated for voltage (marked on the cable) and amperage (type of connector).

People get away with misuse/mismatching everyday on shoots. Use the largest gauge and shortest stingers you can for high amperage fixtures (with tungsten lighting a 1000w lamp draws 8.3 amps). Monitor the cables for heat and the connectors for melting/shorting/arcing or worse.

5. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    hi thanks guys the shoot went good, we ended up not using the 2k light because we simply could not find usable 20amp circuits in the house and decided to play it safe and use 1k's supplemented with other smaller lamps as well...so the most that an extension cord had to handle was 1k watts which as maplecap just said is 8.3 amps. thanks for the info though. i will save this thread and try to memorize it and purchase a cord that is 12 gauge.

j1clark can you tell me what you mean by 'receptacle' ? is that another name for the 'outlet' or what? thanks

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Homunculus View Post
    hi thanks guys the shoot went good, we ended up not using the 2k light because we simply could not find usable 20amp circuits in the house and decided to play it safe and use 1k's supplemented with other smaller lamps as well...so the most that an extension cord had to handle was 1k watts which as maplecap just said is 8.3 amps. thanks for the info though. i will save this thread and try to memorize it and purchase a cord that is 12 gauge.

j1clark can you tell me what you mean by 'receptacle' ? is that another name for the 'outlet' or what? thanks
    Here's a US 15 or 20 Amp 'receptacle'... Note the 'sideways' slot... for a 'real(tm)' 20 amp plug...