Page 1 of 51 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    TRAILER - SUPERSEEDS | Super Powered Adventure
    Filmmaker's Mod

...and two and a half years later...

KICKSTARTER EFFORT: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-action-comedy
    MOBILE USERS LINK: http://www.vimeo.com/15151674

Superseeds is a super-powered feature film flowing in the vein of recent motion picture successes such as SUPERBAD, HAROLD AND KUMAR, and KICK ASS.

Set in an urban, modern-day, economic-distraught Los Angeles, Superseeds follows best friends and roommates Avery and Pete in a race to curtail disaster in their city. Two months tardy on rent and with a third closing in swiftly, the duo--accompanied by their hair brained friend "Mouse"--steal a supply of marijuana from Pete's ex- employer to sell and profit, in hopes of clearing their rental debt. In the process, they unknowingly take the fruits of a Mad Scientist's labor.

Now, having sold the discovery-of-the-century, prior to uncovering the truth themselves, they must locate their friends and recover the missing merchandise before its bi-polar creator comes gunning for them--literally.

Director of Photography: Matthew Garret (DVXuser: Matty_G)
    Assistant Director: Geoff Reisner (DVXuser: Geoff_R)
    Producer: Teresa Decher (DVXuser: teresadecher)
    A camera and B Camera Assistant: Kenneth Eaton
    Production Sound: Ryan Graff (www.ryangraffsound.com)

Last edited by Kholi; 01-16-2012 at 05:11 PM.
    Comet Color Page
    Allow me: fanboy of great images.

2. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    [4/14/2011]

For those who aren't on the Facebook page--

It's update time: Been hard at work getting new scenes done and, most importantly, cutting a trailer! On top of that, there's some movement in another areas.

Wait, that sounds bad.

Today, we got a sample back from a very talented friend. Just giddy.
    Here's the first test of one of the visual effects needed to bring this sucker to life.

http://www.vimeo.com/22452717

http://www.vimeo.com/22619579

http://www.vimeo.com/22570134

Adding more for the user community... can't say how much more stoked I've just become, and motivated. I badly want to move to the next production, but the dedication needed to make this happen is hitting the next level, so I'll be writing more on the new script and burning through Superseeds.

Right now, I'm no a trailer. Third version, third revision. Hoping to get a lock on that, then some promo materials (taking a cue from Martay) before I get back to the thirdish cut of the movie.

More footage coming really soon.

[1/23/2011]
    I really got wood now!

[1/12/2011]
    Happy New Year

Think those work.
    [09|27|2010]

Here are some stills from this weekend's 3-dayshoot. I'm running on two hours of sleep over a near forty-eight (48) hour period but I'll be back to post some reading material.

Enjoy!

((Edited for pics))

Low Shot on our two Slacker Heros. Matty G rigs up a Light Panel for some extra Fill.

[9/29/10]

Last edited by Kholi; 04-19-2011 at 04:35 PM.
    Comet Color Page

3. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    [9/27/2010] THE PRODUCER

My neck hurts, like crazy. I had about two hours of sleep between Saturday and Sunday (on into this morning...finally got a few more hours), my apartment is a mess because I took most of it to location--including my television--for set decoration and I'm pretty hungry! I rarely eat on set, just forget.

None of that comes close to the hell that the incidental Producer of this Feature Film went through over the last week. Without Teresa this weekend would have been a disaster, and I'm fairly confident the overall production would've sagged greatly. She cooked, she cleaned, she made props and more.

I'm not all that experienced, but I was silly enough to think that I could really wear the Producer hat full time on this thing; how stupid and naive of me. Together (and by together I mean mostly Teresa) we were able to coordinate this last minute and everything came out incredibly well, not just because of the odds against us, but as a product that stands against others of its kind.

My major lesson here? No way in hell will I ever try to do that again. I don't know about anyone else, but I need a producer at all times now. The quality of the project escalates when I don't have to wear that hat and someone is dedicated to it.

It's no less like someone being dedicated to sound or photography. And, as much of a no brainer as some people might consider that, I think a LOT of the super low budget features suffer because the director has to cut corners and wear fifteen hats at once.

My visual for that? Well, I don't think it's very fashionable to wear fifteen hats in public...

I've also learned how to let someone else take the responsibility. It's essential to have a person that cares about the project nearly as much as you do. When you find that person and all they want to do is help, make them a part of the process and LET them share the burden.

They probably sincerely just want to be part of something great.

Hats off to the producers! You all rock! And arms and legs off to Teresa D... amazing work.

[ 9|29|10 ] The Camera Can't Fix your Image

Most of you know me to be a major gear whore. It's not a misconception, either. I think I've spent more time reading about, salivating over, dreaming of, playing with and acquiring gear than any other hobby in my life; that includes actual filmmaking and writing.

I think after I had all of my gear stolen it hit me that the gear wouldn't get me anywhere anymore. One, because everyone has it, two because it can't do much more than sit on a tripod (or on a shoulder mount).

Shooting this weekend with an amazing DP like Matty taught me heaps about the other stuff that actually makes the image, things that the camera can't do.

Here's a list:

Production Design.

Pretty short list, huh? No, really though! That's wardrobe, set design/decoration, right down to the actors themselves. They too are important to making the image look good.

No matter how many pixels your camera can count, it still can't make the bland white couch look awesome. Nor can it make a decent story.

I'm fortunate enough to have the power of RED MX on this shoot, and I'll definitely be employing the GH-1 or 2 for some tight shots (interiors of cars, etc), I'd definitely say that it's way more important to put money in front of the camera, not on it.

I wish I would have done more of that for the apartment material, but it's in mind going forward.

.....SHOESTRING TIP on (Production Design): When there's little money available, there's plenty of time to prepare. Do as much as you can in the writing stage. My script actually has short (see:brief) descriptions of locations, but enough to evoke the imagination as to what needs to be placed in a scene. I believe what happens is, as you read the material OVER and OVER again, you visualize details and those details are what you're going to tell people around you that you need.

Hey, there's supposed to be a cereal box on the floor in this scene, we need that.

Write it into the script. Don't get overbearing with it, but grab the outstanding details (paintings, posters, a weird lamp or a rogue blanket) and write it in for yourself, so that you unconsciously drill it into your imagination.
    Last edited by Kholi; 09-29-2010 at 01:29 PM.
    Comet Color Page

4. Collapse Details
    What what? Nice!

5. Collapse Details
    donated to the cause. willing to throw in some sweat equity too. let me know how i can help.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS is now on iTunes :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: #DADmovie

6. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    what's this shot on

7. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak Forsman View Post
    donated to the cause. willing to throw in some sweat equity too. let me know how i can help.
    You know I will!

When it comes time I want go show you my distro plan. Soon.

Thanks for the immediate support!
    Comet Color Page

8. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Homunculus View Post
    what's this shot on
    Good intentions and faith! Lol
    Comet Color Page

9. Collapse Details
    I'll tell you one thing, this thread had better not suck!

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak Forsman View Post
    donated to the cause.
    Me too, a modest one.

I'm in ATL though, so no sweat equity from me, unless it inolves something I can do from here

Good luck,

Martin
    Martin Kelley
    blackhats blog http://blackhatsmovie.blogspot.com facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/blackhats/254404591292515
    Producer, STEP OFF formerly Battle official site On DVD Now from Lionsgate!
    Co-Writer, Immigration Tango On DVD Now from Lionsgate!

Page 1 of 51 1234511 ... LastLast