1. Collapse Details
    Alternative Capture Method
    I've been using my Canon XH-A1 for about a year and a half now and apart from some grain issues, I don't have many complaints. I would like to know if there are any alternative capture methods available for the camera.

I heard about the Focus FireStore FS-C Portable Recorder and I thought it was great... Until I saw the price tag. I think $1300 for something that hold 60Gb isn't really that appealing to my wallet.

But it got me thinking, what available options are available to the XH-A1? I know there's adobe OnLocation, which allows you to capture directly to your computer via Firewire, but that requires a laptop open at all times.

Are there any alternatives to using the standard HDV tape and capturing into my NLE?

-Athan

2. Collapse Details
    The only alternative options are those portable HDD or flashdrive recorder. And they start at $500 and up. None is a 100% reliable option because the A1 has a very vulnerable 4 pin FW port. It doesn't lock so the wire can slip out on the field, and even a slight knock can break the pins inside requiring costly repair. Not worth it.
    "Local studio seeking young female actresses for short film in which they definitely will NOT be killed. Lack of identifying scars, dental records, or concerned family a plus. Payment to be discussed after shooting...uh...filming."

www.hiddendreamsmedia.com

3. Collapse Details
    Give a look at the AJA Ki Pro or the mini!
    We have two of the AJA Ki Pro and I would not miss them on a shoot.