1. Collapse Details
    Short Documentary in Brazil Advice
    Hi guys,

I will go to Rio, Brazil, in 5 days to shoot a short documentary about the relationship between Congolese-Brazilian music. I need your advice. Should I take my T2i for Slow mo or my 5d mark 2? A friend of mine told me the streets (I will mostly shoot outdoors) are unsafe.

I want to take my 5D2 but I'd rather lose a $800 T2i than a $2700 DSLR.
    Any advice on that issue or on the extra gear I should take with me? (i.e: monopod vs tripod vs slider)

2. Collapse Details
    It depends on what streets you go on. The tourist areas if Rio are fairly safe. About like any large city. They are kept that way with unbelievable force out of the line of foreigners. The Government from the police up are corrupt...which is kind of nice in a way because for minor things, you can buy your way out.

If you get back in the inner city slums, you'd better be ready for trouble.

If you can make do with the T2i, I'd recommend it because sure as anything, someone's going to try to run off with it.

It's a gorgeous city and even more stunning country in the mountains but the poverty is hard for Americans to comprehend.

Enjoy it and be careful.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the advice.

4. Collapse Details
    The flight and time and personal risk are greater then the cost difference of your two cameras. Take what gets you the best result. I went to Kenya last summer, carried around about $15,000 worth of equipment into high crime, high poverty areas - nearly mobbed, got kidnapped (with the equipment) and still made it back with everything and great footage for my film. I think we just have to take some risks for the art we do. I didn't do this, but get insurance if you can.

5. Collapse Details
    Is the equipment more valuable that the end product? Is the film for you, or for someone else? Is it worth the risk?
    I've shot in slumbs in Latin America and are really dangerous you must go inside with locals in order to be safe.
    Take precautions try not to look like a tourist, (get a sun tan) and don't use a regular camera bag, just a normal one.
    Your media is far more important than your camera.
    Enjoy Rio.

6. Collapse Details
    Its hard for me to think of a city in Brasil more dangerous than Rio, especially if you don't know your way around. You can get into a fair amount of trouble even in tourist areas like Copa certain times of the day. Knowing someone there who knows the city is going to help a lot, so will knowing Portuguese. What ever I brought as a camera I would also bring a complete backup, its costly enough to fly there that I wouldn't want to be caught cameraless and you would probably be able to sell all of your equipment for at least its cost new to help finance things (I generally do this every time I go there, which is regularly).

Just as a point of reference there are certain intersections in Downtown Rio where you are permitted to ignore the lights at night because car-jacking/holdups are so common there.

I've witnessed 2 or 3 photographer muggings in both Rio and Salvador, ironically the most interesting places to work are also the most risky.
    Last edited by aguia; 11-13-2010 at 08:09 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by aguia View Post
    Its hard for me to think of a city in Brasil more dangerous than Rio, especially if you don't know your way around. You can get into a fair amount of trouble even in tourist areas like Copa certain times of the day. Knowing someone there who knows the city is going to help a lot, so will knowing Portuguese. What ever I brought as a camera I would also bring a complete backup, its costly enough to fly there that I wouldn't want to be caught cameraless and you would probably be able to sell all of your equipment for at least its cost new to help finance things (I generally do this every time I go there, which is regularly).

Just as a point of reference there are certain intersections in Downtown Rio where you are permitted to ignore the lights at night because car-jacking/holdups are so common there.

I've witnessed 2 or 3 photographer muggings in both Rio and Salvador, ironically the most interesting places to work are also the most risky.
    Aquia is quite correct ... I spent 1 1/2 years in South America and you need some help especially if you don't speak the language! Brazil is a wonderful country but it's dangerous if you are not careful.
    Sony EX3, Panasonic DVX 100, SG Blade, MacBookPro intel. iMac 27" 2013
    http://www.deanharringtonvisual.com