Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Look at the number shown in the attached Stream Parser screenshot. It represents the theoretical maximum speed the flash memory will be written. My Transcend class 10 card can do about 15MBs, and this value is somewhat lower than that. If my theory is correct then we would want to set the Overall Bitrate so this number equals just below the flash card maximum write speed. That way the camera will spend the minimum time possible servicing the flash memory write routine, and have processing resources available for other things.

Who knows, once that has been set to the maximum, the other settings may be able to be re-thought. It would be interesting to set this with a SanDisk class 10 card so that the transfer rate comes to 160Mbs (equivalent to 20MBs) - maybe even higher, and then see how high the Video Bitrate can go before instability appears. My thinking now is that the Overall bitrate is related mostly to card write speed.

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrandin View Post
    I doubled the overall bitrate to 86,000,000 and I checked Native 24p.
    Okay, I'll try this and see how it affects the recorded bitrates.
    Last edited by Lpowell; 09-12-2010 at 04:38 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    The recorded bitrates should be about the same because they are governed by Video Bitrate - the only difference is that it doesn't fail with Native 24p checked (I think because it permits a faster instantaneous bitrate) - and the streams look pretty good.

Chris

4. Collapse Details
    Oh, it all begins to make sense now! If your theory is correct, this explains why AVCHD codec standard is limited to 24 Mbs. If this really requires double the overall bit rate for 24p frames, then this gives a bit rate of 48 Mbs. This is equivalent to 6 MBs, which happens to be the maximum write speed of a class 6 SD card.

So, if you use a class 10 card, then you can safely increase overall bit rate to 80 Mbs. This would allow 24p frames at about 40 Mbs bit rate.

Faster cards like Sandisk Extreme may be able to sustain 20 MBs (short of their advertised 30 MBs). So, maybe these cards can be pushed to 160 Mbs for a 24p bit rate of 80 Mbs.

I may have this all wrong, but the pieces do seem to fit together with your testing and known specs for AVCHD codec.

5. Collapse Details
    Vitaliy,

I've been looking at the code and the 18000000 constant appears in several places. In about half of them it starts with a value of 9000000, does a compare, and then changes to 18000000 depending on the compare result. The routines look fairly similar. Any idea what these routines are doing?

Chris

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NPrincen View Post
    Oh, it all begins to make sense now!
    The whole GH1(3) project is beginning to resemble this. There's Vitaliy and Cbrandin, chasing down the firmware bugs.

7. Collapse Details
    Well, it doesn't really need double the bitrate, at least not all the time - the average bitrate shouldn't change much. However, if the camera is buffering entire frames before writing, the Native frames will be twice as big, which could need a faster instantaneous write capability even if the average bitrate is the same. Also, I don't know how smart the flash write routine is; maybe it waits around assuming the card is slow and allows buffer overruns, etc...

One thing I'm fairly certain about - the calculated maximum bitrate limits the speed the camera can theoretically write to flash. It seems to me that the Overall Bitrate should be set to produce a maximum bitrate that matches your memory card.

Chris

8. Collapse Details
    Sorry, but I saw write-speed limitation failures in FHD mode on a Class 10 Sandisk Extreme 16GB card. I used the 40Mbps High Reliability Patch, modified with Native 24p at 86000000 Overall Bitrate:

Last edited by Lpowell; 09-12-2010 at 07:05 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Did you get the failure with Navive 24p checked? I've been testing it all day and I can't get it to fail. Before I could reliably get a failure with Native 24p checked within 10 seconds. What was your test subject? I have to admit I haven't done any testing with Native 24p unchecked so I have no idea about how that might work out. I did, however, test all other modes (SH, H, L, and MJPEG) and got no failures. Stream Parser shows a maximum bitrate of 110,297,900 bps in my tests. Does that match what you got?

I'm not sure the empty frames aren't there for a different reason. They would be hidden with a pulldown. The only way to check is to take a wrapped clip, do a reverse telecine, and step frame by frame to see if there are any where the image doesn't change.

The Overall Bitrate constant exists several places in the firmware, so I suspect a little more research is needed.

I have to admit I'm somewhat confounded - after all, your card is faster than mine.

Chris

10. Collapse Details
    For example, here are empty frames in a SH mode clip - obviously Native checked has nothing to do with them.

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast