Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    lpowell very strong work thanks so much for these great results!

This may not be possible
    but would it be possible to combine your 40Mbps reliable settings for 1080 AVCHD and MPEG and with the settings for the 720p30 patch.

Or is the best way to do it is to upload and switch out firmware depending on your needs?

Thanks in advance!

2. Collapse Details
    i take mostly candid video, and this new 720p/30p for more action seems to fit the bill.

is there any subtle difference between 30th & 60th and 50th & 100th shutters?

3. Collapse Details
    lpowell:
    is it possible to have avchd 1080_24p, 720_60p and 720_30p modes at the same time?
    if i'm shooting 24p stuff, i'd like to be able to capture 60p for slowmo.
    and if i'm shooting 30p stuff, i'd prefer not to have to load different firmware.

4. Collapse Details
    quick question to anyone shooting with a setting that doesn't allow you to playback and review in-camera:

how do you manage this? do you only use these settings when you're close to a laptop or for things you can shoot multiple takes easily?

how do you deal with not being able to review your shot? do you find that you don't need to review (why?)?

i love the quality of these higher bitrates, but cannot use them because i need to review what i've taken to be sure it's usable. i'm heading off to hawaii in a couple of weeks to shoot a short documentary and there's no way i'm going to shoot hours of footage in remote locations without being able to check my work in-camera.

5. Collapse Details
    if 1080_24pN avchd and 720_30pN avchd are not possible, at least 1080_24pN mjpeg and 720_30pN avchd would be nice.

but... 24pN is not reliable yet, right?

6. Collapse Details
    at least this reliable 50Mbps avchd setting was viewable on GH13. for candid video, moment comes and goes. no way to retake same scene again. so not being able to view some settings isnt much issue in that case. in your case, either carry a laptop or use the viewable setting...

7. Collapse Details
    coming from the hmc150 and always having to transcode, i'm really loving the mjpeg on the gh1. i just don't see much point in shooting with a mode that you can't review, especially since we can't get live monitoring to check our work while we're shooting.

8. Collapse Details
    different strokes for different folks. for some people, high mjpeg mode worked fine. no transcoding for me while editing. i do NLE from pp cs5. very nice. avchd saves disk space.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gmoe View Post
    This may not be possible but would it be possible to combine your 40Mbps reliable settings for 1080 AVCHD and MPEG and with the settings for the 720p30 patch.

Or is the best way to do it is to upload and switch out firmware depending on your needs?
    Unfortunately, the GH1's firmware uses the same peak bitrate settings for both FHD 1080p and SH 720p AVCHD videos. That makes it impossible to combine my 40Mbps 1080p settings with the 50Mbps 720p settings in the same patch. It is likewise impossible to combine 720p60 and 720p30 AVCHD video modes in the same patch.

However, it is possible to combine the 35Mbps MJPEG settings from my Reliable In-Camera Playback Patch with the 50Mbps AVCHD settings from this Fast Action 720p30 Patch. With that combination of patches, both AVCHD and MJPEG videos would be fully reviewable with in-camera playback.

10. Collapse Details
    lpowell:
    your last statement takes the cake! =)
    that seems like the best of both worlds for me and seems like the new preset for your 'reliable' setting. ;)

oops. i take it back. think i'll stick with reliable. i like being able to switch to avchd with 24 and 60p for special projects and films and then to mjpeg with 30p for my broadcast standard and corporate stuff without having to load new firmware. for the special projects, i can use the longer record times (smaller recorded file sizes of avchd) and higher quality...and have the time for transcoding. but for my quick turnaround stuff the mjpeg is much more convenient and a quicker workflow.
    Last edited by averan; 09-16-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast