Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisPrine View Post
    Ok, thanks! Totally not an engineer here, just a tinker.
    Was thinking about having jacks instead of hard wired cables, but a 4 pole 3.5mm panel mount doesn't seem to exist.
    I bought mine from maplin electronics www.maplin.co.uk P/N QT65V

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29686

hope this helps
    kind regards
    Chris Woodhouse ARPS
    Toyo AII, Mamiya RB67/7II, Leica R9/M6, HMC151, Panasonic GH2, Devere 504, Mac/FCP

2. Collapse Details
    Great Job. I had wanted to do something similar to do time lapse recording on the HMC150, since it doesn't have that function natively. Just start/stop recording at set intervals. Totally possible now that you spelled it all out.

thanks!

-jr

3. Collapse Details
    Very impressive - would this work with an HPX171??

Do you have plans to make this commercially avilable?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NewHPXuser View Post
    Very impressive - would this work with an HPX171??

Do you have plans to make this commercially avilable?
    I wasn't planning to. It is quite fiddly to make and it lacks the panache of the VariZoom range. I just felt like a challenge. I did the project and documented it in a day to share with others.

You asked if it would work with other panasonic cameras. The answer is it looks like yes, some: - based on the compatibility chart that the Varizoom folks post for their controller.

http://www.varizoom.com/media/contro...patibility.pdf
    kind regards
    Chris Woodhouse ARPS
    Toyo AII, Mamiya RB67/7II, Leica R9/M6, HMC151, Panasonic GH2, Devere 504, Mac/FCP

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesr View Post
    Great Job. I had wanted to do something similar to do time lapse recording on the HMC150, since it doesn't have that function natively. Just start/stop recording at set intervals. Totally possible now that you spelled it all out.

thanks!

-jr

I guess it wouldn't be single frames - but a collection of frames between making two switch closures.
    kind regards
    Chris Woodhouse ARPS

6. Collapse Details
    Since making my remote control for the HMC 150, I sold my Zoom H4N recorder and bought the Marantz PMD661 audio recorder. This, to my ears, has a better recording sound (less harsh) from Rode NT1A/NT5 and NTG3 condenser mics than the zoom and less noise too.

In the back of the Marantz manual is a remote control circuit for rec, rec/pause, play, ffw, rew and mark. It was easy to make up this circuit but the trick was to put in an extra parallel control for the HMC150 record function. I couldn't find any double gang momentary switches, so I put two next to each other, one for the audio, one for video. I wired the video one to a 3.5mm mono socket, so that I can optionally attach a secondary control cable from the HMC150 to my do it all box. For the HMC circuit, it just required a push switch, stereo 2.5mm plug, 3.5 mono plug and 3.5 mono chassis socket. I have the best of both worlds now!
    kind regards
    Chris Woodhouse ARPS

7. Collapse Details
    Mr. Woodhouse - excellent work! A quick question - if one had no need for the zoom and iris sections, could those simply be ignored and use the circuit without them? I would only need the focus and on/off.

Thanks for your work on this!

8. Collapse Details
    Sorry for the delay, to answer your question, yes, since the effect of each enable switch is to simply open circuit the resistance path.
    kind regards
    Chris Woodhouse ARPS

9. Collapse Details
    Your original link seems to have disappeared. Do you have a new one?

10. Collapse Details
    Ah - I had someone hack my web space. I'm rebuilding it right now. Give it 24 hours and it should be back.
    kind regards
    Chris Woodhouse ARPS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast