Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    LOL, I wrote something like this in the User Films section and tried to get it made into a sticky, I had my whole feature and everything up for discussion, but no dice. Glad yours got up. Mine was more of a tutorial, but said some of the same things. Mine is here for indy filmmakers who want to jump off into the deep end, but would rather learn from someone else mistakes (mine) versus making them. As for festivals I think AOF and Slamdance are good for indies.

-Nate
    Last edited by Nathyn; 08-26-2010 at 01:06 PM.

MAKE YOUR MOVIE NOW!

Writer/Director/Producer/Editor/Composer/Prop Master/Action Hero
    Canon T3i/Apple Final Cut Studio 2/After Effects CS3/Action Essentials 2/Garageband 4.1.2

The Fourth Beast-2003 | Wages of Sin -2007 | Epitaph: Bread and Salt -2011

2. Collapse Details
    Good one.

Here's another (also good) version: http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33472
    An endless stream of dead uncle Daves

3. Collapse Details
    Hee hee... I sent my first short to Sundance... Oh the stars in my eyes.... lol
    Actor/Filmmaker
    Pre-Production on 3rd full length
    HVX200a
    Sgblade 35mm adapter
    Pentax Lenses
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2885419/

www.fathomsdeepmovie.com
    www.kavadba.com/entertainment.html
    www.facebook.com/fathomsdeep
    www.elevatedclothingco.com

4. Collapse Details
    I am one of those crusty old guys these kids refuse to listen to. They are all in a mad dash to sprint head long off the cliff. They seemed like such nice kids too.
    Paul
    Lizardlandvideo.com
    Latexfilmservice.com
    Camera and Grip Electric Rentals in Dallas and Shreveport
    Phoenix Video Productions

5. Collapse Details
    Hee hee. No Hudson I'm greatful for all the advice. You're the man!!!
    Actor/Filmmaker
    Pre-Production on 3rd full length
    HVX200a
    Sgblade 35mm adapter
    Pentax Lenses
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2885419/

www.fathomsdeepmovie.com
    www.kavadba.com/entertainment.html
    www.facebook.com/fathomsdeep
    www.elevatedclothingco.com

6. Collapse Details
    Is it time for my old Beethoven story? I believe it is:

L. V. Beethoven was once approached by a proud father asking if Mr. Beethoven could please teach his son to compose sonatas. "How old is your son?" asked the master. "10" the proud father replied. "Then, he should probably wait a few years". "But you composed sonatas when you were nine!" the proud father protested. "Correct" said Beethoven, "But I didn't have to ask how."

So, I can see the attraction in submitting your first feature, but unless you're Beethoven, don't be too disappointed.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Networker View Post
    Is it time for my old Beethoven story? I believe it is:

L. V. Beethoven was once approached by a proud father asking if Mr. Beethoven could please teach his son to compose sonatas. "How old is your son?" asked the master. "10" the proud father replied. "Then, he should probably wait a few years". "But you composed sonatas when you were nine!" the proud father protested. "Correct" said Beethoven, "But I didn't have to ask how."

So, I can see the attraction in submitting your first feature, but unless you're Beethoven, don't be too disappointed.
    Awesome. (Everyone on Forum wondering (or convinced) if they are Beethoven I am sure.)

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by PerroneFord View Post
    Imagine the following conversation taking place at "F1Racing.com"

...Hi, my name is BillyBob and I want to race F1 cars. It's been a dream of mine all my life. I am 16 and I don't have much money, but I got some money from my parents, and I am working at a local restaurant to save up money to go racing.

I don't have a driver's license yet, but I read all the magazines, and online forums about F1 racing, and I know that's what I want to do. I want to start racing this fall season, so I need to get started getting some gear.

Here are my questions.

1. Where can I get an F1 car cheap? I know I won't finish top 5 my first season so I don't need the top of the line, but I want to be competitive right away, so I need a good car. As long as it isn't too expensive.

2. How do I get sponsors? I see a lot of the other guys have some cool sponsors and I know they pay for hotels and stuff, so I need sponsors.

3. Do you guys think I should get a red car or a blue car? The red cars always seem faster when I watch the races.

4. I see a lot of the guys have their friends working for them changing tires and washing off the windscreen. Some of my buddies are into this too and are willing to help me. Do you think the sponsors would help them with travel expenses and stuff too?

Basically, I just need you guys to tell me everything I need to know to start racing so I can get started.

See you on the track!

-Billybob
    OK, I know it's not really in the spirit of your nice ranty thread, but hey, this is the cafe.

I find your analogy a bit exaggerated. Why choose Formula 1? I mean, you say Formula Ford instead of Formula 1, and that's a reasonable question I've heard many times. I don't think most people you are analoging to are expecting to make a Hollywood blockbuster on their first attempts, they're looking to make small independent low or no-budget films. So, say SCCA instead of FIA or FOCA; say Formula Ford or Showroom Stock or Street Prepared instead of Formula 1. Go to an SCCA meeting... it's exactly like what you've said, not at all outlandish.

I mean, most people here are thinking autocross or road rally, not Grand Prix or Indy or Paris-Dakkar...

-Barry
    1987 NY Region SCCA Autocross Champion
    (by persistence more than skill, and driving Mom's car!)
    "I'd like to say that I've never come across two know nothing pretenders on the weird wide web before, but unfortunately it's all too common and is exactly why, according to the last government survey, only 5% of all internet users ever use forums or chats. And it's exactly why I'm done with this one. You two really need to get jobs and out of your mother's basements. You can't fix stupid. And I don't have time for stupid." -swoopie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123