Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Shooting with hack on a very tight budget
    Bronze Member
    Last edited by Vitaliy Kiselev; 01-27-2011 at 01:15 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Been doing similar research myself. I'd like to add a few points to OP's post:

Tripods

There is no real information on tripods, the technology behind them, or anything that is of objective value. After spending hours reading reviews of popular sub$300 systems (head+stix) and looking at manufacturer websites, the only way you can be sure your going to get smooth motion is to either spend at least a grand for "the best", or go to a NAB and try them out yourself. All i can say is, find a good retailer with no restocking fees.

Lenses
    Micro 4/3's lack of a mirror box has opened the format up to almost any mount (and lens) out there, as long as you can find a micro 4/3's adapter for it, which seems to be well covered at the moment. Primes can be found for around $50-$400 depending on brand/length.

Sound
    Take a look at this video comparison of shotgun's vs lavaliers (and camera audio vs external recorders) before deciding on what equipment to buy. If your recording speech then its fairly apparent that lavaliers are the only way to go, with a shotgun backup just in case. Unless you plan on always being within 3ft of your source your going to have to boom or lav it.

Kit/Body
    The GH1 kit is $1200, the kit lens msrp is $850, though you can find it from bigbox retailers for as low as $800, which prices the body at $400 (minus accessories). I've not yet seen anyone offering a body for less than $600, or getting a bid at that price. As far as getting one without the panasonic powergrab firmware, just do what i did and ask for the first four characters of the serial #, which you will be looking for WE0(A-E) and WE9x, thats WE(western english?), 0 (2010), A - E (jan-may) or WE 9 (2009) and the fourth character doesnt matter. Dont bother with retailers, they generally wont give you the time of day and they push too much volume to give you a definite answer anyways.

3. Collapse Details
    Great resource idea.

I tried basic handheld initially and was shocked by the poor results.
    So I agree, some kind of arm rest or external stability contraption is a bit of a must.
    I'm getting good results with a photographic tripod, but I agree video is better, more versatile.
    I've had great results with adapters. I have Leica M, C Mount and an Alpa mount adapter is on the way.
    I also agree, wide lenses are a problem, especially fast wide lenses.
    Lot's of 24 and 28mm f2.8 lenses out there.
    The Pan 20mm and Olympus 17mm seem to be the most useful wides so far.

4. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tonpole View Post
    Tripods
    There is no real information on tripods, the technology behind them, or anything that is of objective value. After spending hours reading reviews of popular sub$300 systems (head+stix) and looking at manufacturer websites, the only way you can be sure your going to get smooth motion is to either spend at least a grand for "the best", or go to a NAB and try them out yourself. All i can say is, find a good retailer with no restocking fees.
    I know really good solution.
    Buy Weifeng tripod and buy good Weifeng fluid head (even WF717A is more than enought for all indie projects).
    Fluid head is very simple thing - this is two discs (for each plane) with concentric notches and very viscous lubrication
    Today USA and Europe really no longer produce tripods suitable for tight budgets (they only rebrand them :-) ).
    Korean manufacturers are quite strong at photo only tripod thing (but they already struggle very hard to survive).

Sound
    Take a look at this video comparison of shotgun's vs lavaliers (and camera audio vs external recorders) before deciding on what equipment to buy. If your recording speech then its fairly apparent that lavaliers are the only way to go, with a shotgun backup just in case. Unless you plan on always being within 3ft of your source your going to have to boom or lav it.
    Not always you can have lavalier on your target.
    Problem here is not lavaliers or shotguns, but rather direction and distance.

5. Collapse Details
    These videos might help someone in selecting an older less expensive manual focus lens.

Normal MF lenses
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPbqhFt_oY

Telephoto Lenses
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cZ-w1qWdJY

6. Collapse Details
    Your comments about lenses are well taken. There is one thing I would add, though. True, Zeiss lenses are normally expensive, but they offer some advantages - like very low breathing, consistent color between lenses, and nice stiff focusing rings. I mention this because you can get very nice Zeiss lenses in a Contax mount for a good price. The Contax adapter is available from fotodiox for $30 these days - I have one and it's very nice too. When you can get Zeiss lenses for such a low price, and the adapter too, I think it's worth considering.

Chris
    Last edited by cbrandin; 08-23-2010 at 11:06 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitaliy Kiselev View Post
    Zooms.
    Note that you need adapters with ability to control aperture for zooms!
    This is only the case with non-m43, gelded auto-focus lens that lack manual aperture rings (such as most modern Canon EF lens). All manual focus lens have aperture control rings and do not require the m43 adapter to provide an aperture "lock" ring. (The reason I say "lock" is because most of these adapters are so cheaply made that the most reliable way to lock down the adapter ring is to glue it with epoxy.) In addition to manual lens, all auto-focus Nikon lens except for the G series have built-in manual aperture rings.

8. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrandin View Post
    Your comments about lenses are well taken. There is one thing I would add, though. True, Zeiss lenses are normally expensive, but they offer some advantages - like very low breathing, consistent color between lenses, and nice stiff focusing rings. I mention this because you can get very nice Zeiss lenses in a Contax mount for a good price. The Contax adapter is available from fotodiox for $30 these days - I have one and it's very nice too. When you can get Zeiss lenses for such a low price, and the adapter too, I think it's worth considering.
    Nice addition. But Zeiss 28mm + 50mm + 85mm will be around $900.
    Color matching originates from coatings, normally.
    Plus I do not still understand adaptor difference, as Contax G is much more pricey than Contax/yashika and they look different.

9. Collapse Details
    I love this thread, lets keep it so much down to earth. I come from music and have a dozend of very good mics. Mic placement is definalty the key to good recordings. If you have a recorder with phantom power a whole world of (also pretty cheap) good mics opens. Russian Oktavas are great and on the low budget side. Stereo is pretty easy to fake. If you have two mics, it might be wise not to use them as stereo pair. Place one close to the source and the other one to give some ambience, this gives you the possibillity to play with the distance. I shot some stuff with a canon d7 and a rhode mic. I think this mic sounds strange, I always had the feeling something was phasing. I wouldn't pay 150€ for it.

nicholas

nicholas

10. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by e.oelberg View Post
    Russian Oktavas are great and on the low budget side.
    I'll extend mike section soon, plus add few others.
    If you ike Oktava, I suggest to look at Behringer B5. It is much cheaper with better quality.
    I have this mike and love it. Despite that Behringer is also "crap brand" in pro audio world.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast