Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    CPM Film Tools - Innovation
    First, i'd like to mention that Steve at CPM Film Tools is a running his business with a very forward thinking attitude and it's really been a change of pace after dealing recently with other rig vendors . He's definitely willing to go out of his way to try new things and make them happen.

So, we've been exchanging PM's the last few days, asking about the new sidewinder design and shipping times. I've always liked the RED Run 'n Gun DSMC rig that has made it's rounds around the internet a while back.

And i've read threads either here or on C5D, can't remember, where people have sent that in to Steve to replicate. Well I started looking at this sidewinder and it looked like it might fit the bill. So I sent him this rough photoshop (I apologize for it's awfulness but you get the idea).

I thought it looked right and wanted to see if he had some CF rods that were longer than 20in to make distance from the shoulder a bit better. More like 24in...well, he shoots me an email back with these attached...

With the Sidewinder "Flip Cage"

And a new one that he calls "Bulldog"

I didn't expect that at all, and am still blown away. From the sound of it, he's going to put one of these variations on the site as a package. Very cool.

Personally, I still like the idea of using the new "flip cage" on the sidewinder...it opens up the left side for a follow focus setup and also some rail real estate for accessories. Also, (depending on the size you use) it's a little more compact with less empty head room between the camera and the cage.

Just thought I'd share them and get some feed back on the designs...enjoy!

2. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Jordan Scott Price's Avatar
    This is awesome! Unfortunately, I don't have the money to buy any rigs retail but I've just made an amendment to my DIY design after seeing this!

3. Collapse Details
    Up on the web site for any that are interested. This is my new preferred rig to shoot on.

http://www.cpmfilmtools.com/DSLR_Shoulder_Rig_p/shoot_bldg_shldr.htm

Thanks,

Steve

4. Collapse Details
    The new sidewinder looks absolutely amazing and I'm sure is going to be a big hit in the community! Unfortunately it's out of my price range but if you need a test/field shooter and i'm happy to put my gear on the line and help out

5. Collapse Details
    Well a package came from CPM Film Tools today...yippee!

I ordered the sidewinder advanced (the flip cage isn't quite ready yet, so you won't see it here) and also some additional parts to help achieve a few different configurations.

Sweet packing...it's like opening up a new set of tools!

So far I'm extremely happy with the quality of these parts...the plastic is strong but will flex, it won't crack, but it will give just a little bit. Really a perfect balance. Also, it's all extremely light. Once the rig is all setup with camera, etc...not so much but the rig it self is very light and nimble. For the money, I don't think you're going to get a better setup than what you can get from CPM.

Also the colored washers and cable guides are a nice touch. Stylish but also a great way to distinguish rigs if you so desired.

And some nice finishing touches...

Here are some configurations:

The Bulldog...this one puts the LCD right in front of your face. It really is the best run and gun setup and puts the camera lens at the perfect height, just below eye level.

And the sidewinder (basic for now)

And this one reminds of a RED setup for some reason...but nice and compact and great for running around or on a tripod.

Well the only negative right now is that my thumbs hurt from building and taking this thing apart and trying out new configurations. Also I'm going to head to homedepot to get some spacers and longer bolts to give the camera bellypan and height boost. It's causing my follow focus to put on the lens and cause backlash. Easy fix, and also one that Steve at CPM is going to have a fix for soon as well.

6. Collapse Details
    ^looks pretty sweet; how much did the package set you back?

7. Collapse Details
    A bit over $1000 with the extra rods and struts...10% coupon they're running right now helped a lot plus the NAB/summer sales...

8. Collapse Details
    looks good, this could be my dream setup if only a couple of things would be different...
    I'm worried about the size of rail pad used to hold handles, even with small one (instead bundled medium) it seems it's to bulky to work well with follow focus and mattebox, there is no enough free space (dslr plate long - handle pad big) to move ff (short-longer lenses) .
    I would love to buy Sidewinder advanced but judging by the pictures it just wont work with my redrock swing away mattebox and follow focus..
    Quick release plate could also be smaller since its build for Dslr (don't see the need for such a long plate) and last too bad that shoulder pad is not a little more adjusted to human shoulder and don't have rubber or some other material to soften it a little bit (like the red one pictured in first post)

9. Collapse Details
    The front handle pad IS pretty thick on the sidewinder config. But the follow focus gearbox can flip and I can get it to reach all the way to the front of the front handle pad if need be. Basically, I can move the ff gear from one side of the white marking wheel to the other with a few steps in between, no prob. And of course slide the whole setup forward or back.

As for fitting the swing away, maybe use longer rods on the bottom, of maybe mount the handles on a long set of rods that are in the top of the cage so the handles are on either side of the lens...or you could mount the swing away box on top rails leaving more room for follow focus etc...infinite possibilities...that's the advantage.

10. Collapse Details
    Where did you get the lens gear?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast