Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I hope this isn't intruding but I've been working on a very low budget indie shoot and we were recently doing a few outdoor scenes where we've been really striving for good lighting and contrast (without using artificial lighting) much like you talk about:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...=1#post2080469

We tried to pick a location that had ample light but yet lots of contrast-y areas we could manipulate for some of the 3D look you describe, mainly because the scenes have a dream-like essence to them so the contrast and colors needed to practically pop off the screen.

I've learned a lot of this just reading what others do/have done as well as all of the professional advice that is freely given out (like yours) and it has really really helped me a lot.

I'm very thankful for the generosity of yourself and others when posting all of these helpful threads. Keep at it!

2. Collapse Details
    Swweeeet!!! I am gonna copy all this into my new book! ;)

Seriously, thank you. I may piggy-back this for my series. Maybe if we get a few people on this bandwagon, we can hook them all together and create a nice bit of info for newer filmmakers.
    Don't be a BillyBob...

3. Collapse Details
    This is awesome! I'm excited to read more. I hope you do turn this into a book or something, I love this type of reading, full of little golden nuggets of knowledge.

4. Collapse Details
    Wow. Dude, I'm going to buy you a drink one of these days.

5. Collapse Details
    great thread!!

thanks for taking the time, Ryan.

hopefully some day i could write one of these informative threads in the business forum.

edit: this and Perrone's thread should be stickies, i think.

6. Collapse Details
    Steak Knife Member David G. Smith's Avatar
    Wow. Excellent Ryan. Can I pre-order the book now?! Great job.
    "The enemy of art is the absence of limitations"
    -Orson Wells.

"To me the great hope is... people that normally wouldn't be making movies will make them and suddenly some little fat girl in Ohio will be the new Mozart and will make a beautiful film using her father's camera-corder and the "Professionalism" of movie making will be destroyed forever and it will finally become an art form."
    -Francis Ford Coppola.

7. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Jordan Scott Price's Avatar
    For those of us who are cinematography idiots, this is just awesome.

Thank you

8. Collapse Details
    Applying What You Can Where You Can
    So hopefully everyone is seeing from those examples what can be done with the concepts when you're on a big budget project and have a fleet of trailers loaded with full lighting and grip of every imaginable sort.

Reality

You know "the principles" and you arrive at your next location. Its overcast but the rain has subsided from the raging torrent to a nice drizzle. Its a beat up old place in the bush and mud is everywhere. The budget of the project is so non-existant there's no flag kits, not even a c-stand. You did manage to borrow a light and there is an outlet that works and its on the front porch. Everything inside might as well be in a dungeon so its decided to play the scene on the front porch. Besides its not leaking from the ceiling there.

The bad weather has everything running late and time at this location has gone from short to insane so you have fifteen minutes to get everthing set up.
    The Script says it been another nice sunny afternoon. The director strolls over and says, "OK we're here, make me some magic!"

The Rubber Meets the Road

There's some shipping pallets leaning against the back of the house and you find some that are reasonably dry on one side so you prop them up on the porch sills so you can't see the bleak conditions and rain dripping from the trees. The person doing set decoration makes best use of let's call it the eclectic items available.

Someone is holding some scrunched plastic in front of our borrowed HMI light shining into the porch and then removes it to simulate sun coming out from behind a cloud.

I always have a roll of .9 nd gel with me that I can use. Even though we're leaning some aluminum siding against the window area behind the plant the nd gel keeps exposure there from blowing out. Notice the stand with the bottles and plant on it has been cheated over to the right more from the wider shot previous.

There's Always Something - S&*t Happens

Close ups under less than ideal lighting conditions and very shallow depth of field can cause problems that sometimes sneak under the radar. In the shot above the back of the chair helps keeps the actor's head reasonably stable from front to back.

In the image below the Actor moved their head forward a bit too much and they wound up a bit in front of critical focus during the shot.

I just do what I can with what's available and hope that sometime in the future I'll get to work with all the goodies.

Anyway as always, I think it would be great that if besides the examples from the hollywood studio projects we could also see the wonderful work of the these thread authors as well as everyone else.
    Last edited by craigbowman; 08-19-2010 at 11:30 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    Cinematography/Lighting Mod Ryan Patrick O'Hara's Avatar
    New article posted.

I'm cam OPing the next two days, so a new article won't be out until Monday at earliest.

-ryan

If cinematography wasn't infinite, I'm sure I would have found the end by now.

10. Collapse Details
    Steak Knife Member David G. Smith's Avatar
    Why to go Ryan. Excellent as always. I'm there man, I'll want one the pre-order list!
    "The enemy of art is the absence of limitations"
    -Orson Wells.

"To me the great hope is... people that normally wouldn't be making movies will make them and suddenly some little fat girl in Ohio will be the new Mozart and will make a beautiful film using her father's camera-corder and the "Professionalism" of movie making will be destroyed forever and it will finally become an art form."
    -Francis Ford Coppola.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast