Thread: Antihero

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Ok Time for an update, I've been pretty quite - there was a major earthquake in one of our cities in September and I've been spending alot of time there for work since then, and away from our team - hence our film has fallen behind schedual. In fact going by Westfest and this fest we should be called team Drama, or Team oh ship I'm pulling my hair out, or team work interuption.

Shooting has gone well but has had various delays and problems with cast members being called away on emergencies, or being stuck at work and arriving late or not being able to arrive at all. Plus all the usual mucking around. Anyway the long and the short is we have had to cut two scenes - one of them being the end scene that wraps everything up, oh well good to leave a film open ended, you can draw your own conclusions - the upside is the short runs at around 4 minutes including credits.

The last big problem to hit is that my recently upgraded Vegas Pro 10 decided to crash when loading the project (wait for the first update people). I had just moved between computers and wiped the last one hence no backups, the computer I had been using was having serious issues so it might be HP's fault and not Sony's. Luckily I had rendered out the rough cut for scoring so now I have the rough cut overlaid on the time-line with 50% transparency and am finding the footage and meticulously matching it with the rough cut frame by frame, tedium personified - next need to redo the sound and the grading. Ouch.

Anyway because of these issues and because there's a long weekend coming up and I face a 6 hour drive tomorrow the film may be a little rough - but still enjoyable I hope.

Mods we finally have a title, do you mind changing it to: Antihero.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Ryan McCarvill; 10-20-2010 at 11:40 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    I tried to import Vegas 8 project into Vegas 10. Not so much. I'm hoping starting with a new 10 project will work.

Glad you're getting in on the fun.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney V. Smith View Post
    Zaza's been in the pool so you really don't wanna guess...
    Quote Originally Posted by RodThompson View Post
    I only blame ZaZa for the bubbles...
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Höfer View Post
    Don't underestimate Zaza

Welcome to the fest!
    DAMN... how did I miss all this abuse?
    Love & kisses to all!

Back on point.... looking forward to the film!

4. Collapse Details
    Thread title updated and look forward to watching.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtmo View Post
    I tried to import Vegas 8 project into Vegas 10. Not so much. I'm hoping starting with a new 10 project will work.

Glad you're getting in on the fun.
    Yeah the project was split into three parts, part one and two were loosely cut in vegas 9 and then inported in vegas 10, part three was edited from scratch in Vegas 10, Parts one and three corrupted, Part two is ok - knock on wood.

The problem was I was also editing in my hotel room on whatever laptop I could get my hands on including one whos hard drive died on me so I'm guessing those far from ideal conditions contributed to it. Back on the reliable editing box at home.

6. Collapse Details
    Oh yes now this was a quirkly little b-movie! It could have worked more like a genre b-movie too if the arrival of the vilgante killer had more impact - and if it was sensationally over the top gory - and if he had a great appearance/characterisation that really made us go (holy crap) and probably too if he had managed to rescue some prisoner (our serial killers) may have kept (off camera off course) while we think there just a nice couple.

As it stands, it is cute, but it has so much more potential I think Thanks for sharing your film!
    Feature: LORD OF TEARS - A New Legend in Horror - Pre-Order Now http://www.lordoftears.com/

7. Collapse Details
    I loved the first appearance of the killer because the tone changed so violently. It was almost funny but I dont mean that in a bad way, I always laugh when the tone suddenly switches up like that. Caught me very much off guard and I love that.

My main problem was that it didnt seem to go anywhere, there was an extensive chat with the police and then the short ended, so it felt incomplete and more of a random act than a fully thought out short. But I had a lot of fun watching it!

8. Collapse Details
    I had a difficult time just seeing this film because of the lack of lighting. You went in 1:30 seconds and nothing, just nothing really of significance happens. So he's sharpening the knife, everything is so blurred I really got lost in the translation. So in the end we find a Dexter-esque killer out there. Question is, "Why should I care?" I like the two cops and the ambulance unit outside, nice touch. This one however was a miss for me.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
    Portfolio of an Entertainment Blogger

9. Collapse Details
    The big knife definitely got my attention, I was wondering what was up with that the whole time. Clever use of that prop. However, it did create a problem with pacing.

You’ve got a less than five minute film. The first minute and a half, or nearly a third of the movie, hardly advances the story at all.
    Conversely, the chase scene between the killer and the woman was well paced. I liked the slow methodical pace of the killer towards the end of it. The reveal was weak though. Rather than showing us what’s going on, you have two cops show up and give us an exposition. And a good hunk of the one cop’s dialogues is “huh” and “mmm,” - not terribly riveting. While it certainly would have been more effort, I would have liked some visual storytelling to explain that the killer is actually a vigilante.

I quite liked your two main actors, they had a nice charm working together. I definitely bought them as a couple. Overall, a good effort thanks for putting it in.

10. Collapse Details
    Strange accents :P

As soon as I saw that big carving knife, a cheese plater and a plate with only meat, I thought these guys are related to Dr Lechter for sure.

I think the only thing was, what Lawrie mentioned I would have loved the sequence with the vigilante to be an insane slash, hacking gore and blood. It would have really had a huge impact there.

Good job. Also that young Detective sounded a tad Sth African?
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast