replaced by what exactly?

spiteful? lmfao.
    "Easier than it sounds, harder than it looks."
    Chris Light
    www.vimeo.com/chrislight

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Light View Post
    replaced by what exactly?
    No GH2 being announced next month, then?

spiteful? lmfao.
    Profuse apologies.

I hadn't realised that I was in the presence of a fanboi.

Those a little less in love with Panasonic, however, might be tempted to think that a firmware upgrade that does nothing other than prevent the modification of v1.32, and which is not available for public download/disassembly, is solely designed to throw a spanner in the works.

Further, *if* no future f/w is made available (and it must certainly be a real possibility) owners of cameras with v.134 are destined to endure limited video performance and grossly over priced batteries for the lifetime of their GH1

And, let's not forget that owners of v1.32 GH1's who are obliged to send their camera in for repair will, almost certainly, get them back with v1.34 applied.

So, perhaps you're laughing prematurely?
    Last edited by Framerate; 08-29-2010 at 05:31 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Lflex View Post
    Why would they need to update camera firmware just because a new lens was released?
    This has been the pattern with previous lens releases. When a new lens comes out, the camera firmware often needs to be tweaked in order to make best use of the auto-focus and the image stabilization of the new lens. See the release notes for previous GH1 firmware updates here:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...ts/dl/gh1.html

I for one, have been eagerly awaiting the new 100-300mm zoom lens that should be announced at Photokina. This lens has been promised and delayed in release for quite some time. Why? My personal speculation (not even a rumor) is that at such long telephoto (600mm in 35mm equivalent), the auto-focus and image stabilization need some serious development and testing. More than likely, this lens will require a firmware update to the GH1 to make best use of it.

So, I think it is likely we will see another firmware release for GH1. Unfortunately, it may be that Panasonic decides to do something to the firmware to make the hack impossible (like encryption).

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Framerate View Post
    No GH2 being announced next month, then?

we just don't know.

Profuse apologies.

I hadn't realised that I was in the presence of a fanboi.

Those a little less in love with Panasonic, however, might be tempted to think that a firmware upgrade that does nothing other than prevent the modification of v1.32, and which is not available for public download/disassembly, is solely designed to throw a spanner in the works.

Further, *if* no future f/w is made available (and it must certainly be a real possibility) owners of cameras with v.134 are destined to endure limited video performance and grossly over priced batteries for the lifetime of their GH1

And, let's not forget that owners of v1.32 GH1's who are obliged to send their camera in for repair will, almost certainly, get them back with v1.34 applied.

So, perhaps you're laughing prematurely?
    "fanboi". you even spelled it with an i. that's very Avril Lavigne. she's pretty hot.

as far as doing anything "prematurely" i'd ask you to not assume on which brand equipment i own, or HAVE OWNED. you know nothing of what i like and use, and unless you click a link or google something, i don't know...can't help much with your assumptions.

have you had your camera serviced and had it come back with FW1.34 on it? if you have, then you have a point. i don't care if your friend had, but have you?

you may think the non-hacked GH1 is "limited"(which for some people, it is), and now that it's hackable, you're suspect of Panasonic's service practices. well, if you're still complaining, you should have bought something else. Regardless, it's a stunning camera for it's meager price point. And in the GH1's case, Panasonic didn't "cripple" the camera....they did nothing more than meet a price point. pay more, get more. Buy a camera that doesn't need a hack to get the job done.
    Chris Light
    www.vimeo.com/chrislight

5. Collapse Details
    "fanboi". you even spelled it with an i. that's very Avril Lavigne. she's pretty hot.
    I was unfamiliar with the young lady until your reply - but, having Goggled her, yes, she's not without a certain charm.

as far as doing anything "prematurely"
    are we still talking about the delightful Ms Lavigne?

I'd ask you to not assume on which brand equipment i own, or HAVE OWNED. you know nothing of what i like and use, and unless you click a link or google something, i don't know...can't help much with your assumptions.
    I'd no idea that we were talking about your camera preferences - I thought we were discussing the 1.34 firmware.

That being so - what's *your* theory about it? If it wasn't released to block the hack, what's it for?

[quote=Chris Light;2090613]have you had your camera serviced and had it come back with FW1.34 on it? if you have, then you have a point. i don't care if your friend had, but have you?[p/quote]

That's rather like saying, "Unless you've jumped from a 20 story building, don't tell me that you'll hurt yourself if you do"

As some people in dvxuser are reluctant to send the cameras in for repair because of f/w 1.34, I'd say that not everyone is as optimistic as you are.

you may think the non-hacked GH1 is "limited"(which for some people, it is), and now that it's hackable, you're suspect of Panasonic's service practices. well, if you're still complaining, you should have bought something else.
    At the moment I have no GH1. The one that I ordered was f/w 1.34, and the others I have been able to track down are all July 09 models. My concern about them is the supposed inefiority of the sensor compared to later production runs. Actually, I'd genuinely like to hear your own view on that. Time is running out fast - I have to purchase by tomorrow or i lose a rebate.

Regardless, it's a stunning camera for it's meager price point. And in the GH1's case, Panasonic didn't "cripple" the camera....they did nothing more than meet a price point. pay more, get more. Buy a camera that doesn't need a hack to get the job done.
    Surely, by saying that the GH1 'needs the hack to get the job done', you're tacitly admitting that it's not really good enough pre-hack? Or have I misunderstood?

One other question you could help me with, if you will. Can the hack be completely removed, and original Panasonic firmware installed *without* using P-tool?

Obviously, this is important if the camera ever needs to go back for warranty work.

The FAQ is less than clear on the subject - the first post says that original firmware can be replaced, the second post says that it *can*, but it will be a different version number. That would, of course, immediately red-flag it to Panasonic.

Your definitive advice would be gratefully received.

6. Collapse Details
    the FW can be reversed. yes.

do i think the hack "needs" to be done to make it good enough? NO. seemed like a deal-breaker for you though. this camera was freakin awesome as it was. but the hack opened up a few doors, and it was genorously provided free of charge. so i took it, and as it turns out, i enjoy it's benefits. had the hack never existed, i'd be using it just the same. how often to we get something for nothing anymore? i steal ketchup packets for christsake. when i can get them :-)

as far as the sensor being different in certian models...i have no clue....i only bought one camera. i bought it from Amazon in Nov 2009, and my images look fine to me.

oh...one thing that bothered me. you called me a "fanboi"...and i replied with something to the effect that i am not(forget the Avril Lavigne thing....but yeah, she's still hot). see, you called me a fanboi, meaning a "panasonic" fanboi. i am as brand agnostic as can be. completely. can you understand why i don't appreciate that assumtion?

so chill out...i have a lot of knowledge about this camera, as i've put it thru many hours of use...i just thought you were making assumtions that ween't warranted.
    Chris Light
    www.vimeo.com/chrislight

7. Collapse Details
    and Framerate, i apologize for my sarcasm.

i try to have fun here, and sometimes i bust balls. way it goes.
    Chris Light
    www.vimeo.com/chrislight

8. Collapse Details
    and Framerate, i apologize for my sarcasm.

i try to have fun here, and sometimes i bust balls. way it goes.

And I apologise for mine - and I do appreciate your advice on the GH1.

Now that we're being civil ;), can I ask your unbiased advice?

I can buy a June 2010 GH1 with v1.34. This would come with a 3 year Panasonic warranty and (possibly) a better sensor from the latest production run.

But, of course, no hack.

Or, I could buy a July 09 model that is hackable with 1 year warranty - but with older sensor, and every possibility of the lugs falling out.

I currently use a Canon HG10, and am very pleased with it. The sharpness and detail (to me, anyway) is very apparent - which, as it 's only 15Mps would indicate that codec implementation is at least as important as bitrate.

I'd also like to go back to taking reasonable stills.

My videos are entirely for home consumption. I try to get them as good as I can, I use external mics and a digital recorder - but it's all strictly amateur night.

I have no experience of the GH1, hacked or unhacked.

So,

In your honest opinion - would a standard GH1 outperform my HG10?, if so, in my shoes would you go for the latest (unhackable) camera, or hack the earlier one?

I realise it's entirely subjective - but I would still value your opnion.

Thanks

9. Collapse Details
    that's a tough question, but we both have a similar situation. i am not a pro, and i use my cameras mostly at home.

i have mostly owned sony camcorders over the years. i bought a Canon xh-a1 back in 2007...now, i added this GH1.

GH1 is my favorite because i can use almost any lens ever made (with adapters...cheap!) and acheive most any look i desire...

man, i would love to get into this more, but i have to go to bed...it's 5am where i am (i work nights, but it's way past my bedtime)...so sorry.
    Chris Light
    www.vimeo.com/chrislight

10. Collapse Details
    Question, and forgive me if this is stupid, but I have little experience with this kind of thing.

I checked the camera firmware and it says version 1.3. I just bought the camera from B&H. Is it hackable?

Thank you

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast