Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    On camera/off camera Light.
    Hey all,

I only recently started shooting weddings and an issue that I keep having that I haven't been able to address till now is shooting in Low light receptions areas as well as low lighting in general. I finally saved only a bit of money and I'm hoping to get some suggestions on a solid reasonably priced light that i can both mount on the camera or hold by hand or place on a stand maybe. But mainly that it at least mounts on the camera. I am extremely new to lighting and this is my first time purchasing and experiencing with Lighting. I have no clue what the common price range is for a small on camera light but my budget as of now is a about $300. Again, It will be for weddings only as thats my main concern as of now. I really appreciate any help and I have been searching through the forums and I read the sticky above but I haven't come up with much. I've come across the Vidled. Is that a good option for weddings? Thanks again for any help. Also, I use an HVX200a.

Johnny
    Last edited by Johnny Bueno; 07-24-2010 at 03:23 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    No one can assist me with this situation? Please. Again I have came across the Vidled, litepanel, or the varizoom. Are any of these good options for weddings? Low light and indoor areas.

3. Collapse Details
    Check out the Comer 900 at lacolorshop.com. It's got good reviews from members here and the store owner is a dvxuser member with great customer service. The light is very bright, very evenly lit for wide angles, and has a battery plate for whichever brand you prefer.

http://lacolorshop.com/products/item.asp?id=cc900kit

Taky has some test videos showing the comer lights and other popular on camera battery lights on the site, as well.

4. Collapse Details
    Check out the Comer 900 and 1800 lights at lacolorshop.com. I have both lights and use them for on and off camera - and in conjunction with other lighting when necessary.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bueno View Post
    Hey all,

I only recently started shooting weddings and an issue that I keep having that I haven't been able to address till now is shooting in Low light receptions areas as well as low lighting in general. I finally saved only a bit of money and I'm hoping to get some suggestions on a solid reasonably priced light that i can both mount on the camera or hold by hand or place on a stand maybe. But mainly that it at least mounts on the camera. I am extremely new to lighting and this is my first time purchasing and experiencing with Lighting. I have no clue what the common price range is for a small on camera light but my budget as of now is a about $300. Again, It will be for weddings only as thats my main concern as of now. I really appreciate any help and I have been searching through the forums and I read the sticky above but I haven't come up with much. I've come across the Vidled. Is that a good option for weddings? Thanks again for any help. Also, I use an HVX200a.

Johnny

I'm still not sold on LED lighting for cameras with anything smaller than a 1/2" sensor. They run cool and are battery friendly, but the overall light output just doesn't do it for me for most situations.

I use a Lowel iLight with a bescor 12V Lead Acid battery pack. I love it because it accepts both 100W & 55W bulbs. It's also mountable on a camera or a light stand. You can also add barn doors, gels, diffusion... anything.

I try to use it off-camera whenever possible to avoid "flattening out" the subject.

6. Collapse Details
    I'd get the Litepanels Micro LED On-Camera Light, it's about $300. That's what I use for weddings.

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks everyone for the info. Ill check out all the suggestions. Any feed back on vidled?

8. Collapse Details
    I used to have two zylights and a vidled. Don't get me wrong, the Zylights are really really nice, just really expensive. Worth it if you need the features though. Anyways I've transitioned into still photography and sold most of my video gear. Still have some for quick and fun stuff. The vidled is part of that. Cheap, durable and is a nice amount of light indoors and can provide a little fill in the shade if you're close enough. Note that mine is an older plastic model. If they are still making them like they used to, I'd imagine the new ones are just better.

I would tape a bit of diffusion to the front when used on camera though. Its a bit harsh on the eyes for the subject otherwise.

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks. In terms of the Vidleds. I hear everyone bring up the Hot vidled and the cold vidled. Which would be more ideal for weddings and the situations I'm talking about? Lastly, I was at B&H which is where I shop for a lot of my gear and on their site under HVX accessories they have these in my budget:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Camcorder.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._LP_MICRO.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...On_Camera.html

If I where to choose one of these to buy from B&H which would be the best option? Thanks for any help.

Johnny

10. Collapse Details
    I got the Rotolight at NAB 2010. It is not bad for the price and the filters are nice. It is light weight and works at least 3 hours on AA batteries. The size and shape is a bit awkward. The botom line - it just does not put out enough light, so expect grainy footage. It is okay for closeup work, but it places a weird circle shape in the eyeballs.

I am still looking for a good light. Let me know what you decide on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast