Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Need a good song for 50 years old birthday slideshow!
    Any suggestions about songs?
    I'm making a slideshow of pics for a woman turning 50.
    The slideshow starts with child pics til present.

It will be screened at the party.

Any songs in mind I could try?

I don't want it people get sad looking at the pics, it needs to be Happy emotional song but slow.

For example: "Music" from Michael Jackson.

Thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    You can't use copyrighted songs without permission from the owner of the copyright.

Search the web for royalty free music. Good luck!

3. Collapse Details
    Actually, if it is only for personal use, not commercial,... AKA: not intended to promote a product, or the video itself is not a product you are selling or profiting from, I believe it is OK. (there is a grey area here) I see tons of inter-corporate video's where they do this. Nothing is for sale, and the video is only intended for internal use, or Rah! Rah! sessions for the employees.

For commercial use, it is taboo to use more than 7 contiguous seconds of any copyright song. (Im not a lawyer, but someone who is, is welcome to chime in here)

Anyway, Wedding folks use copyright stuff all the time. About 3 million videographers/production companies would be candidates for Alcatraz if this were the case. (It should be noted, for non-commercial/broadcast use, I believe you ARE "legally bound" to give the artist credit somewhere in the video, if you use their material.)

No biggie, just don't plan to sell your video to the masses, post it on YouTube, or place it on a local cable access/peg channel. That could get you into trouble IF the right person happens to be watching and decides to make an example out of you. (provided the peg channel does not pay into ASCAP/BMI, this is, in simple terms, how radio Stations and big production companies do it, If so, you are free to do what you want under their licencing,... always check with thier lawyers first!!!)
    Last edited by MagicCat; 08-25-2010 at 07:49 AM.
    Magic Cat AKA: David Walker

"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called Research" ....Einstein

Why does your boss tell you to think outside the box and then send you back to your cubicle to come up with solutions?.....

Come Visit our work: www.youtube.com/mediamagicohio
    www.mediamagicproductions.com

4. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    This is grossly incorrect.

Whether for profit or not, it is ILLEGAL to use copyrighted material without the permission of the copyright holder. Yes, people get away with it. But all it takes is ONE PERSON -- ANY person -- to call the FBI and rat you out, and you're looking at a $250,000 fine and federal prison. Do not take copyright infrigement lightly.

The only 'grey area' involves 'fair use', which is mostly limited to educational purposes (meaning schools for teaching purposes), parody or commentary/critique (including documentaries, but under very specific rules).

Any other copying of music, video, photos, or the written word, without the permission of the copyright holder, is a federal crime.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chapelgrovefilms View Post

The only 'grey area' involves 'fair use', which is mostly limited to educational purposes (meaning schools for teaching purposes), parody or commentary/critique (including documentaries, but under very specific rules).
    The rules are not specific at all. In fact, they are very much open to interpretation and remain so to allow wiggle room.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peternap View Post
    The rules are not specific at all. In fact, they are very much open to interpretation and remain so to allow wiggle room.
    On the contrary - they are very specific, it's illegal to use music without the copyright owner's permission. To do so without is equivalent to theft.

7. Collapse Details
    How about "Lawyers in Love"?

8. Collapse Details
    Forever young? There's also a punk rock version that is good.

Are you being paid to do this slideshow? Just curious. I worked for a company for 2 years editing weddings and life events.

9. Collapse Details
    If its a one off for someones 50th birthday, theres nothing preventing you from playing any song in your cd collection on a cd player - technically thats against the law as well.

How many parties have you been to where the host has said - hmm this constitues a pubic performance, I can only play royalty free music. I cant recall how many weddings Ive been to which are outside where they are playing (c) copyright protected music, technically its against the law.

Do the right thing and buy the song your going to use for this purpose only and for your own listening pleasure, dont torrent it.

I dont encourage copyright violation at all, Im just saying this is someones 50th birthday party.

TO know the best song for this person, you'd have to ask friends or family. Is she married? What was a song her husband and her listened to when they first met? That might invoke emotions on a 50th birthday.
    SDC Productions Gold Coast Aust. http://sdcproductions.com.au
    admin@scarlet-films.com +61 (0) 408 455 374
    http://www.ozcrews.tv/

ECHOES ON THE WAVES - IN EDIT http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...643079268&ap=1

10. Collapse Details
    OF COURSE IT's ILLEGAL.
    So is driving 26 mph in a 25 zone.
    Or drinking a beer when you're 20 years and 364 days old.

Fortunately there is a shred of common sense left in the world where not only are you not going to be thrown in prison for your little personal party video, but no one will bother to care.
    Pirate 2000 songs to a university's server? Someone will care.
    Own a club that doesn't pay ASCAP's annual fees? Someone will care.

As for the original question, I'd check out the Billboard charts for the top songs of the years the photos came from, or find what her personal favorites were.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast