Thread: Help!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chapelgrovefilms View Post
    I consider that statement "he can barely call himself an actor" to be maligning.)
    It really wasn't intended that way. The printed word has a funny way of reading very differently to some other folks than the writer might have expected. And like I reiterated earlier, I did make sure to say that he "might be a great guy and all". I also later made it clear that I largely include myself in the "barely called an actor" category, despite the fact that I have pursued it quite vigorously, seriously, and expensively for quite some time and have a reasonably healthy IMDB resume to show for it by now.

But, if you want to believe I was "maligning" him by calling him out, you're entitled to.
    Last edited by Ted Spencer; 07-21-2010 at 09:00 AM.
    "Behind the shelter in the middle of a roundabout
    A pretty nurse is selling poppies from a tray
    And though she feels as if she's in a play
    She is anyway"

From "Penny Lane" by Lennon/McCartney

2. Collapse Details
    Wow, quite a debate going here.

Well, I decided to stick with my actor and I really need to work on him during the rehearsal process but he's coming along really well.

Let me ask you this. Would you accept a non-paying role with around 50 locations that will eat up your summer and fall up with a script that has more monologue ramblings than an Ayn Rand novel? On top of that we both have full time jobs and I didn't have any locations booked or a shooting schedule. I offered the role to two actors with more experience, they took one look at the script and said no way. I chose this inexperienced guy because he was the only one who would dedicate the time to my project.

At the time I posted this we were a week from an important scene that involved a very lengthy monologue and 30 extras. Either I cancel the great location I got, tell the 30 extras sorry and start casting again, or I go with the inexperienced guy who will do anything to be the star in a feature legnth project. I chose the latter.

So 2.5 months later we are about 70% in the can and we got some impressive locations including a courtroom, many boardrooms, a manshion, shooting range, restaurant, and a trailer park. Note, we're pretty much a zero budget production and we've paid very minimal fees. The picture even looks good.

I still have to focus on breaking my actor of things he does that I don't like, and he requires more takes than anyone else but we are getting it done and my movie wouldn't be getting made if I had tried to recast.

With that said, for the kissing scenes we actually are going to switch them around. The problem is his girlfriend cringes at the thought of his lips touching another womans so we are going to cut it from different angles. We are also adding a part where we cut to a quick dream sequence where my character is controlling her on a S&M leash. (The movie and the theme are about control.) Finageling cuts and different angles to miss the lips has ironically made the scenes more erotic. (I was originally just going to have a normal kiss!)

To those who believe that it's the character doing it and not you, you have no idea of the power of boundries. Go rent Psycho and tell me it's not violent, go rent Streetcar and tell me it's not erotic. This boundry of my actor has been an opportunity and I like some of the ideas he's come up with to accomodate his needs. Boundries are what spark creativity.

3. Collapse Details
    Wilmywood: "Where the Carolina Moon Meets the Hollywood Stars!" ™ (NC baby)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelshare1 View Post
    To those who believe that it's the character doing it and not you, you have no idea of the power of boundries. .
    I was with you until the sentence above. You just maligned me and suggested I don't know the power of boundaries. You could not be further from the truth. This time a boundary worked in your favor. That will not always be the case. There will be times where it screws up the production and costs you money, lost shots, and lack of editing choices.

The power of boundaries swings both ways!

I am glad things are working out, but I did not malign anyone by sharing my opinion on what makes a good actor. You have insulted me with your comment that 'those who believe' as I do...have no idea....

Yes...yes we do!
    Sincerely,
    Flora Barren (A Little Mouth to Feed)
    aka Michele Seidman
    imdb / 800Casting / Actors Access / Michele and the Midnight Blues

4. Collapse Details
    To those who believe that it's the character doing it and not you, you have no idea of the power of boundries.
    Michele didn't say that. She said "in essence" it's the character. That's an important distinction you seem to have missed. And just what does that have to do with someone's understanding of the power of boundaries?

Go rent Psycho and tell me it's not violent, go rent Streetcar and tell me it's not erotic.
    Are you alluding to directorial choices made because of MPAA and Legion of Decency censorship or do you think Hitchcock and Kazan made their directorial choices because of actor hangups? If it's the latter, a little research will take you a long way from that idea.

Boundries are what spark creativity.
    On this I can agree with you whole heartedly.

5. Collapse Details
    We've all got different tastes when it comes to actors. But I can't respect the argument that we should defend a hack solely on the basis that "nobody can take the fact away that he is an actor."
    Last edited by Knoxworth; 09-25-2010 at 05:18 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    point out to your 'actor' friend that his career is going to be short and sweet if he
    expects to go from job to job with all his hang-ups.
    Refusing to do a kissing scene or utter swear words? Thats laughable.

As a director & producer - you can do better. You should do better this is a feature length.

80% of the directors job is in the casting. Don't find 3 actors, find 100 and screen them well
    before offering a part.
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by stan harrington View Post
    This is a classic reason for why I believe all directors should take a few very good acting classes ...to understand actors and to cast with a little more discretion...
    Indeed. As an actor and director I have to say it's always odd to me when actors don't read scripts. When I did the Fourth Beast several people got involved with it because of the Christian ideology the film was based around...BUT most of them were believers in pre-trib rapture. My film was blatantly the opposite. There's a whole section of the film that was nothing but theological discussion. How do you miss it?

So one guy calls me (whose also a minister) and tells me he wants his name off the movie. I tell him I'd have to redo the credits and everything. He tells me the movie is "off scripture". I tell him not according to the Bible and got ready for the heated debate I believed would soon follow. We didn't get into that can of worms and he admitted he hadn't read the whole script. But simply he asked me to please take his name off.

I believe I did eventually go through the process of changing the credits, but how do you not read a script when you're in it. Later another person, older female Christian, expressed she didn't agree with the script either, but was okay with it because it was "Christian". But...if..what...? Huh?

I always give my actors the full script because I deal with controversial subjects all the time. One concern is that people like to make sure I'm not saying something politically incorrect in my scripts. Huh? Almost everything I believe is politically incorrect. Even my vampire movie had some people on Facebook pissed when they read the part that I released to the public.

My advice, read the script before deciding to be in a production. If there's something you're asked to do or say you can't live with, then don't and don't take the part. A lot of people get excited about being in a film. But being IN a film actually means...you know...doing what the script says.

-Nate

MAKE YOUR MOVIE NOW!

Writer/Director/Producer/Editor/Composer/Prop Master/Action Hero
    Canon T3i/Apple Final Cut Studio 2/After Effects CS3/Action Essentials 2/Garageband 4.1.2

The Fourth Beast-2003 | Wages of Sin -2007 | Epitaph: Bread and Salt -2011

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rsbush View Post
    Michele didn't say that. She said "in essence" it's the character. That's an important distinction you seem to have missed. And just what does that have to do with someone's understanding of the power of boundaries?
    Yes, there is a distinction. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Knoxworth View Post
    We've all got different tastes when it comes to actors. But I can't respect the argument that we should defend a hack solely on the basis that "nobody can take the fact away that he is an actor."
    I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by J Davis View Post
    point out to your 'actor' friend that his career is going to be short and sweet if he expects to go from job to job with all his hang-ups.
    Refusing to do a kissing scene or utter swear words? Thats laughable.
    Laughable...not sure about that but you are right, the career will be short lived or very limited at the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathyn View Post
    My advice, read the script before deciding to be in a production. If there's something you're asked to do or say you can't live with, then don't and don't take the part. A lot of people get excited about being in a film. But being IN a film actually means...you know...doing what the script says.

-Nate
    Exactly! Read the script and don't take the part if there are things in there you are not willing to do.
    Sincerely,
    aka Michele Seidman

9. Collapse Details
    Taking a role in a film without reading the entire script is like marrying a mail-order bride...
    "Behind the shelter in the middle of a roundabout
    A pretty nurse is selling poppies from a tray
    And though she feels as if she's in a play
    She is anyway"

From "Penny Lane" by Lennon/McCartney

10. Collapse Details
    ha ha ha Ted....lol...well played!
    Sincerely,
    aka Michele Seidman

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234