Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47
  1. Collapse Details
    Actors -- make your OWN film
    #1
    Chapelgrove Films
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,416
    Default
    Actors and actresses -- you should at least CONSIDER the idea of producing your own film, as a vehicle to get yourself out there and show what you can do. It's challenging, but is it any harder than going to audition after audition after audition?

    And it's cheaper than you think. Believe me, I know. I can help. Just shoot me a PM and let's talk.
    David W. Richardson
    Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    Actors -- make your OWN film
    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    107
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by chapelgrovefilms View Post
    It's challenging, but is it any harder than going to audition after audition after audition?
    Yes


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Chapelgrove Films
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,416
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by CB_Radio View Post
    Yes
    Maybe. But it's also more productive. You get a credit for your resume. You get a film out there with YOU in a leading role. Good clips for your demo reel. Tons of networking. And a solid knowledge of what a producer and director have to think about when considering casting you.
    David W. Richardson
    Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Senior Member Azmyth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,275
    Default
    I'm doing this right now chapelgrovefilms..

    and you are right, when this is done. I will have an IMDB credit, and a LEAD role credit on my resume, and I didn't even have to audition. On top of that, I'm building my writing, editing, makeup, directing, and general set knowledge at the same time.

    Instead of having a resume full of extra work like alot of actors have, because they are struggling to get work.

    I've learned that the biggest thing to help you as an actor, is to get your name out there.. any way that you can. In my situation, and location its "easier" for me to make films myself.. than it is to travel constantly to auditions. I'll do some other "big" projects here and there. but my plan right now is to continue to make my own films, and act in them as a vehicle to get mine, and actors that I am networking with careers rolling as actors, and even myself as a film maker.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Senior Member craigbowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,880
    Default
    I've been DPing a feature project since last August on weekends mostly funded by an actor to do exactly that. He approached my company after we had hired him a few years ago on one of our commercial shoots. It was also an introduction for him to digital cinema shooting with our first Red One camera package.

    Since he works at a full time job during the week we could only shoot principle on weekends. That project is on hold this month as himself and one of the other leads in his project were both cast in the network pilot I'm DPing at the moment for an LA based writer/director who snagged a place recently here in the Okanagan.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Chapelgrove Films
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,416
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmyth View Post
    I'm doing this right now chapelgrovefilms..

    and you are right, when this is done. I will have an IMDB credit, and a LEAD role credit on my resume, and I didn't even have to audition. On top of that, I'm building my writing, editing, makeup, directing, and general set knowledge at the same time.

    Instead of having a resume full of extra work like alot of actors have, because they are struggling to get work.

    I've learned that the biggest thing to help you as an actor, is to get your name out there.. any way that you can. In my situation, and location its "easier" for me to make films myself.. than it is to travel constantly to auditions. I'll do some other "big" projects here and there. but my plan right now is to continue to make my own films, and act in them as a vehicle to get mine, and actors that I am networking with careers rolling as actors, and even myself as a film maker.
    Good job! Congrats on tackling this. I hope it works out well for you.

    But I'm not even suggesting actors should do as much as you're doing. You don't have to write, shoot and edit the thing yourself. There are plenty of people out there who are probably far better at those jobs than you are. If you get a great script -- either find one or have one tailor-written -- and can find the resources to get the movie made, you'll have no trouble finding talented, skilled people ready and willing to help you. Believe me -- been there.
    David W. Richardson
    Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    Chapelgrove Films
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,416
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by craigbowman View Post
    I've been DPing a feature project since last August on weekends mostly funded by an actor to do exactly that. He approached my company after we had hired him a few years ago on one of our commercial shoots. It was also an introduction for him to digital cinema shooting with our first Red One camera package.

    Since he works at a full time job during the week we could only shoot principle on weekends. That project is on hold this month as himself and one of the other leads in his project were both cast in the network pilot I'm DPing at the moment for an LA based writer/director who snagged a place recently here in the Okanagan.
    That's great Craig! Best of luck to all of you. Keep us posted.
    David W. Richardson
    Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #8
    Senior Member Azmyth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,275
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by chapelgrovefilms View Post
    Good job! Congrats on tackling this. I hope it works out well for you.

    But I'm not even suggesting actors should do as much as you're doing. You don't have to write, shoot and edit the thing yourself. There are plenty of people out there who are probably far better at those jobs than you are. If you get a great script -- either find one or have one tailor-written -- and can find the resources to get the movie made, you'll have no trouble finding talented, skilled people ready and willing to help you. Believe me -- been there.
    I know, this is more of a case of having the time, and wanting to do those things.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #9
    Low Budget Ninja Nathyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago, USA
    Posts
    4,105
    Default
    It's a lot of fun too and you get to meet so many people.

    -Nate

    MAKE YOUR MOVIE NOW!

    Writer/Director/Producer/Editor/Composer/Prop Master/Action Hero
    Canon T3i/Apple Final Cut Studio 2/After Effects CS3/Action Essentials 2/Garageband 4.1.2

    The Fourth Beast-2003 | Wages of Sin -2007 | Epitaph: Bread and Salt -2011


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #10
    Senior Member Zblock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hollywood
    Posts
    814
    Default
    Also doing this myself. I should have done it long ago.
    Actor/Filmmaker
    Pre-Production on 3rd full length
    HVX200a
    Sgblade 35mm adapter
    Pentax Lenses
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2885419/


    www.fathomsdeepmovie.com
    www.kavadba.com/entertainment.html
    www.facebook.com/fathomsdeep
    www.elevatedclothingco.com




    Reply With Quote
     

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •