Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Log and Transfer randomly not bringing in full clip
    Exclamation
    As an assistant editor one of my responsibilities is that the editor sees all the footage. A couple of weeks ago a DP transferred his footage and handed over a final cut project. Some footage was missing. The editor was on set so he knew the best part of a clip was missing. We thought maybe he put an in and out point on the clip and it only transferred that portion.

I just shot some footage. Converted it to pro res through the EOS plug in for log and transfer. The same thing happened. It randomly transfers part of a clip but cuts off the rest randomly.

Has this happened to anyone else?

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    As a DP I always like to roll a little before action and after cut to avoid things like this.

3. Collapse Details
    since i can assume that your using a Canon DSLR then...have you tried just importing it thru apple's "Image Capture". this is how i import 5DmkII & T2i clips then i convert to either Pro Rez or XDCAM using MPEG Streamclip. at least this would show if your full clip actually exists. plus it doesnt tie up FCP and Streamclip is pretty quick and works very quietly in the background using not much CPU.

david
    www.davidprobst.com

4. Collapse Details
    Had the same problem with some footage I converted using the FCP plug in.

That's why you always hold onto those original files! Once I realized some stuff was missing I just re-transfered it.

5. Collapse Details
    People should learn the technique of "copy all the damn files". If you're still missing footage, then it wasn't shot to begin with.

6. Collapse Details
    The files were all backed up! I will no longer use FCP to convert to pro res. I'll use Compressor or probably Magic Bullet grinder.

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/prod...ullet-grinder/

7. Collapse Details
    Also, After I realized some particular footage was missing. I re-transferred that clip in Final Cut log and transfer. I put an IN and OUT for the full duration of the clip. It converted and still didn't give me the full duration. It gave me a shorter duration of the clip it brought in originally!

8. Collapse Details
    Don't Stalk Member
    this happens to me all the time with r3d files... for now i've been just re-trying the clips that dont convert properly all the way through and if that doesnt work, especially when a clip is very long, i use compressor for those specific clips.

but its really annoying. any known solution/fix yet?
    Alison
    Jungle Media
    www.junglemedia.ca

9. Collapse Details
    Yes, for some reason log and transfer seems to clip some footage off the beginning and end. That's when I learned to roll a few seconds before and after the scene.

10. Collapse Details
    Same problem happening here for the past few months working with 5DMKII footage. Not a constant issue, but enough to make me quite nervous. Make sure to copy your entire card first and work off that. Really would be nice to know if apple is aware of this and if there is a solution on the way.
    Ian Carleton
    Brain and Eyeball Owner/Operator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast