See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 53 123451151 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Epitaph: Bread and Salt Feature film

Log Line: Demon hunters form an alliance to take down a powerful cult seeking to plunge the world into Darkness.

Tagline: Let the Undead Bury their Dead.

Story: The Defenders of Eden, a family of Estrie hunters, take on The Reign of Chaos, a union of dark cults with one goal, to drive the world into darkness and to rise to godhood. As the world falls further away from light, Chicago becomes a battleground, where evil spirits gain the power to become flesh and enter our world. Rabbi Benjamin Hassan's visions showed him Victor Locke, a man with the power to fight these supernatural creatures. The Hassan family now seek to enlist Victor in their struggle. The tide may turn in their secret war...if he chooses to join their fight. This film stands as a prequel to the comic series.

First 32 Pages

Based on Characters from the Upcoming Night Phoenix Press comic books "Epitaph" and "Victor Locke Demon Hunter".

Goals:
    The goals for this film are generally modest and I believe they can be accomplished

1. Make an Exciting Action horror film based on comic book
    2. Do the film on a small budget, under $10,000
    3. Shoot on an HD camera
    4. Work with and enhance common but Sci-Fi effects
    5. Cast local talent for most or all of the parts
    6. As I talk abut in my "Action Filmmaking" book create an overall slick product
    7. Get some form of Distribution beyond self distribution
    8. Document everything on my production diary

Main Actors
    Nathyn Brendan Masters.........................Victor Locke
    Marissa Joy.........................Sarah
    Leena Kurishingal................Rebecca
    Vahan Artin........................Adam
    Anita Nicole Brown...............Atraria
    Yohanni Liman..................Ashen Yu
    Rachel Stubbs.........................Siren
    Ben Albovias........................Rick Yu
    ........................................Susan
    Jack Guasta..............Fixmaster
    Cristin McAlister........................Jennifer
    Joseph Canales....................Demonic Assassin
    Valerie Meachum Kessler.......Gerri
    Christian Dior Creasy............Arcus Fallen
    Jenna Ambien Halvorson.......Cassie/Zombie Girl
    Chenique Charmaine............Tammy
    Leah MacDonald.........................Sandra
    David Wilhelm.............................Damious
    Kelsey Zukowski......................Hanover Blake

Vampires and other Characters
    Kevin LaRosa
    Tina Renee Grace
    JÚssica Beligni
    Carissa Lynelle
    Latoya Glaves

Last edited by Nathyn; 09-11-2013 at 09:51 PM.

MAKE YOUR MOVIE NOW!

Writer/Director/Producer/Editor/Composer/Prop Master/Action Hero
    Canon T3i/Apple Final Cut Studio 2/After Effects CS3/Action Essentials 2/Garageband 4.1.2

The Fourth Beast-2003 | Wages of Sin -2007 | Epitaph: Bread and Salt -2011

2. Collapse Details
    I'm anxious to see how this all turns out!

-Shot in El Director Vision-
    FIND US ON FACEBOOK

Writer/Director/Producer/Cinematographer/Editor/Composer/Stuntman
    Canon 550D with Magic Lantern/Adobe CC/Cinema 4D R15/Mixcraft 6

Wulf-2008 | Leap-2010 | Leap: Rise of the Beast-2011 | Leap: Revelation-2014

3. Collapse Details
    LOL. You and me both.

-Nate

4. Collapse Details
    A Word on the Whip
    A Word on the Whip

My friends are big video gamers and they bought it to my attention my character is not the first vampire/demon hunter to carry a whip. The whip came from Indiana Jones. While I'm not a huge Indy J. fan I do like the movies and liked how he used to use the whip. It was an odd weapon to carry, but what he did with it just worked real well.

When I had finalized the Locke character back in the 90's, (before he became part of NPP) he was a character I was going to novelize. I had a complete novel written about him. He was a black vampire hunter that used swords, guns, a whip and martial arts. Everyone liked the concept. Then something horrible happened: Blade. While people may say a lot of vampire hunters use swords, there were no black vampire hunters in mainstream media before Blade. And while I realize he was created before mine, he was a C list character that popped up in old Tomb of Dracula, Dr. Strange and Spiderman stories.

What I created seemed to have been usurped by Hollywood and the mighty money machine so there I was, lost and depressed. And for the record Blade was a surprise because everyone was told Snipes was doing Black Panther. Another slap in the face was that "Crosses didn't do diddly" in the film, but everything else did. The Locke story was based in Christianity and also Jewish folklore (Don't get me started on Twilight and their "Esterie") and crosses/faith in God was everything to "Locke" and "The Defenders of Eden" and loss of that faith could mean loss of their very lives. And we still had action and adventure with the faith element intact. Keep in mind I knew of Blade but nothing of his origins and had only seen him in passing mentions. (I have a whole talk on depowering the cross in modern vampire films and what it means but I won't go into it here, but my film touches on it slightly). Blade's power came from his mom getting bit by a vampire while he was in the womb, Locke was blessed with his power from birth. (Originally it came from Locke being blessed while in the womb but again, thanks to Blade I scrapped that too).

So I had a choice, scrap the character or rebuild him. The first thing to do was scrap the sword. This was upsetting for me because I wanted him to have a Samurai sword. (Which I have several now thanks to my friend who left me his when he moved). So the only thing left was the gun and the whip. This worked out in a way because I had to create new weapons for him and the Defenders of Eden. Specific kinds of guns and stake (which you'll see later as I done some new weapon builds and transferred some of the weapons from Divinity to this project). Also costume, had to change, we moved away from the traditional trench coat and went with a cotton hoodie and a hooded trenches and shirts.

We have a Jewish character called "The Fist of God" who has the Strength of Samson, the Faith of David and the Wisdom of Solomon. She had gauntlets that fired energy blast that could disintegrate demons. I took those away and gave her the sword (she still has the gauntlets but just uses them to parry attacks). This allows for more martial arts.

I felt I should mention this because one of my friends said the whip was a nice nod to Simon Belmont. I was like, "Great. Whose Simon Belmont?" Another friend was shocked I didn't know who he was. Apparently Simon Belmont is the great vampire hunter from the videogame Castlevania, (ironically my producer loves this game and Indiana Jones and has yet to chime in on the whip discussion). And on the other forum someone mentioned the movie sounding or being like a video game which I took to mean maybe they were on the Castlevania tip too.

I'm not a video game guy. My last videogame system before my N64 was an Atrari computer back in the 80's and the only reason I play video games now is because my friends usually give me their old systems when they buy new ones. Now I have a PS2 (which still has the most games as of now from what I'm told), an original Xbox and had the N64 all which were given to me, so I wasn't up on Simon Belmont. I Googled him and indeed he had a whip and a sword. I won't comment on his leather biking shorts, but he does have a whip. They were going to do a Castlvania movie but it seems that's a no go now, so maybe I'll get out there first. But whatever, now you know the deal.

-Nate
    Last edited by Nathyn; 08-20-2010 at 06:24 PM.

MAKE YOUR MOVIE NOW!

Canon T3i/Apple Final Cut Studio 2/After Effects CS3/Action Essentials 2/Garageband 4.1.2

5. Collapse Details
    Name change: I changed it from "Ascension Fall" to Bread and Salt considering it fit what the film was about a lot more. The cult is in the background and we only see their characters a few times. Most of them aren't active enough to base the story around save for the assassins that work with the group.

-Nate

MAKE YOUR MOVIE NOW!

6. Collapse Details
    Whenever you need help in sound, or advice.. I'm all yours (well...maybe part of me :-p)
    SOUND EDITING - SOUND DESIGN - AND ALSO SOUNDRECORDING

philipsfilmsound.com

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks. I'll be sure to do that. We always need help in that area.

-Nate

MAKE YOUR MOVIE NOW!

8. Collapse Details
    When does production start?

-Shot in El Director Vision-
    FIND US ON FACEBOOK

Writer/Director/Producer/Cinematographer/Editor/Composer/Stuntman
    Canon 550D with Magic Lantern/Adobe CC/Cinema 4D R15/Mixcraft 6

Wulf-2008 | Leap-2010 | Leap: Rise of the Beast-2011 | Leap: Revelation-2014

9. Collapse Details
    We're looking at August to start shooting. Once I cast some specific roles I may get the camera rolling early. Plus I have to practice certain things because they're new to me considering I'm creating some basic movements for vampire combat. Locke and Fist of God have powers, but the normals don't they all of them we're taught to fight in a certain way. Locke is new to it and has to be trained in it.

-Nate

MAKE YOUR MOVIE NOW!

10. Collapse Details
    Prop and weapons building 101
    When making low budget films one has to push aside the consumerism mindset and think on a different level. Low budget to no budget. The low budget mindset is "Let's cruise eBay/Craigslist/Thrift Store and see what I can get for cheap." The no budget mindset is "Let me see what I can pull together before I go looking to spend money."

This is a handbo. When pulled about it becomes a stake. It's made with two pieces of aluminum piping an old piece of wood dowel and capped of with metal and plastic pieces I found lying around. The fun part of this is it's actually functional.

The Locke shotgun scabbard. This is was created from an old sai case and an old belt. I cut out the inner pockets that held the sais. I cut the belt into pieces and Krazy glued them on to the back in three places so I could adjust the holster. Both Krazy Glue and Super Glue are strong and glue leather. I use them like Red Green uses duct tape. But Super glue is $1 for two tubes at the $1 store. In fact in the film Locke is known for making his weapons, because he's a working class demon hunter. LOL. This case is also functional. I also like this because it has that Mad Max feel to it.

These were made from some old airsoft spring guns I ordered. This is a nitro weapon. Silver bullets are softer and lighter and don't fly as far or as fast as normal bullets. A flesh wound with a silver bullet is still a flesh wound. The way this was solved was by creating a weapon that fired nitro propelled silver bullets. The bullets flew further and faster, so there's a bit of real science to this sci-fi weapon. I may remake the silencers if they don't look good on camera.

This a nitro rifle with the same concept as the pistols. I created this from parts of various airsoft guns I had lying around and just Krazy glued them together. The silencer is homemade and from various things I found in the kitchen and this one also has a lazer sight.

This is Locke's pistol from the "Victor Locke: Demon Hunter" cover. I noticed
    I didn't have that one up yet. It's got battery powered blowback so it will save me
    some trouble in AE.

-Nate
    Last edited by Nathyn; 06-20-2010 at 11:42 AM.

MAKE YOUR MOVIE NOW!

Page 1 of 53 123451151 ... LastLast