Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Zoom H4N vs. M-Audio Microtrack II
    So I have my new Panasonic GH-1 camera in hand and I'm looking for an appropriate outboard recorder. Seems like the H4N is becoming the de facto *affordable* standard. I've seen the M-Audio mentioned here, but no substantial opinion on it vs. the H4N. I like M-Audio's speakers and interfaces, but I'm not familiar with their recorders. Any thoughts and opinions?

I'm looking for a recorder with the option of possibly taking the audio from it into the camera's input as well as for double-system sound. Usable audio on the camera would be nice for some run & gun situations. I'm aware of the pitfalls of that, but I'm encouraged after reading Ozpeter's and Cavemandude's posts on using a line pad between the recorder or mic and the camera.

Thanks
    Barry

2. Collapse Details
    Price comparison:
    H4n MSRP $350
    M-Audio Microtrack II MSRP $250

H4n has 4 tracks and XLR combo inputs where as the M-Audio Microtrack II only has 2 tracks and 1/4" inputs. Those are the major differences. Both are good units for small portable recorders. You have to decide what features are important to you now and for any future needs.

3. Collapse Details
    The M-Audio unit also has a built-in battery, so if you want to shoot for more than like 3 hours, you're pretty much screwed.

4. Collapse Details
    Thought I would piggyback a little off this post since I have a couple related questions:

Are there other portable recorders that are around the same price range as the h4n that I should be considering? (i've seen it refurbished for $250)

I've used the first generation h4 before and from what I remember the level controls were hard to operate while recording. Is this the case with the h4n? Is it meant to be controlled by a pre mixer before going into the h4n? Would I benefit by using something like a mixpre in conjunction with the h4n?

5. Collapse Details
    http://vimeo.com/5370880

Microtrack II vs others in the first of several tests.

6. Collapse Details
    the juicelink seems like a contender...

Would I be better off shooting in synced to my 5D with the juiclink or shooting untethered with the h4n? I would think the h4n but the test seems to be saying that the juicelink is better than th h4n

7. Collapse Details
    Zoom H4N hands down. - And on top of that, who knows when AVID will finish their acquisitions and recombination and re-branding of all its sub companies.
    - Working on RADPlug Archtecture, 4.0 TFLOP CUDA Machine
    - Developing DVCPRO MOV Recovery Software to recover from OnLocation, Scopbox and other firewire recorder crashes
    http://fcphacker.blogspot.com/

8. Collapse Details
    I'm a little confused about what avid has to do with this? does avid own one of these companies and if so what will it impact and already developed product. Please clarify what ou are refering too. thanks

9. Collapse Details
    Avid + M-Audio

10. Collapse Details
    still a little confused but that's ok..i'm pretty sure I want the h4n anyway. Can someone please confirm that the h4n is easier to adjust levels on the fly than the h4 was?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast