Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Local Commercial
    Feedback wanted. This was my latest edit, just before I go back and start from scratch once more. I want to get the pacing/editing down a little tighter, and lessen the time.

Let me know what you think.

Password: bigeasy

Canon T2i
    Tokina 11-16
    Nikon 50mm 1.8
    ISO 6400 + Neat Video plugin
    Sony Vegas 9 (had to use x64 as my 32-bit vegas kept crashing on render)

------------
    Dave
    Fear and Loathing in Raleigh, NC
    ------------
    www.vimeo.com/greeches
    www.youtube.com/greeches

------------
    "Art of seduction, Alcohol introduction."
    "A man who looks where he walks, never steps in sh*t."

2. Collapse Details
    Very nice, liked the flow which made it easy to watch and understand. Also the old-time music fit well with the video.

Good job

3. Collapse Details
    Not bad.

IMO, the food shots are too brightly lit and need more shadows/contrast. Watch some high end commercials for Macaroni Grill/ Carrabas/ etc and you'll see what I mean.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

4. Collapse Details
    Personally I take the third cut out. Try cutting to a girl welcoming the audience in or anything other then another shot of the building. You already established the shot in the opening. Other than that, it looks fine to me. Maybe a shot of an Asian guy so I feel comfortable being there. kidding

5. Collapse Details
    Not bad. I would make the music more present as it sounds too far "back".

Also, it seems amazingly long. It's really a promo and not a commercial. A good experiment is to give yourself a ridiculously short time (say 40 seconds) and edit for that then expand a bit. The music will support much quicker cuts or play counter to the beat, as you are doing with this cut, but I would like to see more energetic cuts.

Maybe even try to cut some of the food into earlier parts of the spot. I think it shows up earlier, but is mostly showcased at the end.

Thanks for sharing. Overall, I still think it looked pretty good. The look of local commercials is rising rapidly. In a couple of years many of the local commercials are going to look just like national commercials (some already do).

Best,

Jason
    I know how to do it. You just wouldn't know it from the way that I do it.

6. Collapse Details
    Gotta agree with mcgee. The food shots just don't look appetizing to me. I think they'd look better from a lower angle, with warmer colors and you gotta have steam!

Some of the bar shots have a strange milky look to them. The closing shot has the best CC and doesn't have that milky look.

Some of the wide shots also show the bar almost empty. It should be crowded with more activty.

Needs a VO too.

7. Collapse Details
    IMHO you destroyed your footage with such high iso, it looks beyond over exposed. The night time shot outside towards the end of the video looked the most pleasing but everything indoors just looks completely destroyed.
    Vision without action is just a dream. Action without vision is a nightmare. Put your vision into motion.....

8. Collapse Details
    ^^^^^ I agree if I'm understanding Spider....take out that 3rd shot and move on.

Apologies up front if I come off like a douche, but I want to see you get better. You have the potential.

Most of your shots with people in them seem to be underexposed. They're missing the "oomph" that I see in so many projects using DSLRs. Did you do something in post? An example would be the pool shots and a lot of the shots at the tables.

I'll be honest here, there are a few shots that I would consider poorly framed. Example being the 2 shots that start around :12.

But I do like the shot at :49. That seems to be more punchy and in line with what we see from these cameras. Alright, maybe I just like the girl.
    Even the shot in your tag page has more definition & punch than most of the rest of the video.

While I love the camera move on the food shots, it's redundant using it over and over. But man, those onion rings do look good! I'd agree with mcdigital, the lighting is a bit harsh. But not terrible, IMO. I like the stark black background. I did my 1st preliminary food shoot with my T2i the other day and while I was please with the "look", I didn't do any great camera moves and ultimately the shots are boring. I like to use soft, indirect light for my food shots. Bounce cards.

At the end of the day, I think I would want to eat here, so in that sense, mission accomplished! But there are some technical issues I would address going forward. Out of curiosity, what did the client think of the spot?

Sony FS700
    My Vimeo

9. Collapse Details
    Hah! Thanks all for watching. I agree with everyone... a little. I ended up starting from scratch to see what I'd do differently.

It is a promo, you are correct.

The footage is heavily color corrected and I kinda lost sight of the overall image. I'm about to upload a new cut with no color correction so you can see the true exposure.

Thanks again for all the advice/tips!

------------
    Dave
    ------------
    www.vimeo.com/greeches
    www.youtube.com/greeches

------------

10. Collapse Details
    30 Sec Spot
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
    I AGREE

Promo
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
    I AGREE

This is all raw footage from camera, put through Cineform and exported to a WMV. No color correction.

------------
    Dave
    ------------
    www.vimeo.com/greeches
    www.youtube.com/greeches

------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast