Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Rodney Charters ASC on HDSLR's, and more

2. Collapse Details
    OHhh snap!!! I have not read it as yet but that title....stings!!!! Lol...

3. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Wow. This is the best DSLR interview I have ever listened to.

I plan on putting this in my sig or at least posting it everywhere.

Rodney Charters' view on DSLRs is incredibly accurate, and highly respectable. The entire thing is what Barry and the rest of us have been trying to say this ENTIRE TIME.

Especialy from 6:45 on when he gets into Alexa, which is the camera I want to be shooting with when it drops.

I love his words on this, and those who keep spitting his name out at every corner should be listening to what he's REALLY SAYING HERE.
    Comet Color Page
    Allow me: fanboy of great images.

4. Collapse Details
    Yeah, there's something for everyone in that interview. He really, really likes the imagery from the Canons, then the interviewer asks him about video cameras with DSLR capabilities and he sneers and says "I don't trust Sony to make a cam that looks like film." He then goes on to really praise the Arri Alexa. At about 13:00, he explains why the Canon isn't going to be the camera for an 80-foot screen, that the Alexa is the camera that he wants, and the Canon is "a struggle", with a big budget he says that you may not like the look you get from the Alexa, you may prefer the "slightly grungy" look from the Canon. He says the jury's still out on the Alexa, but the results he's seen so far are "astonishing." He says the Canon has "its special niche", calling them "great B cameras, stunt cameras, and plate cameras, and if you want to go shoot something on the side, on the weekend, they're great for that as well."

He says he'll always have a 5D around, it's his "notetaker", makes "beautiful stills" and it's great to have along. He said that he'd "probably use it quite often on a movie "if he had another camera as the principal camera", but that he also "might shoot whole shows on the Canon, or whatever else comes next" (he says they have to solve the banding, the codec, the rolling shutter.) Sure sounded like, if one was reading between the lines, he and others have been demanding a raw codec from Canon, and if you're really reading hard between the lines, it sounds like he's implying that they've heard the message loud and clear and that maybe it'll be a possibility some day.

He definitely thinks the Canons are extraordinary because the price point is opening it up to many people who never would have been able to afford something like this.

He says that Nikon will be back, and Panasonic's 4/3 chip is a contender, but he simply likes the 5D because its sensor is larger. "the ability to shoot with a VistaVision chip is just too much to resist."

5. Collapse Details
    Rodney Charters Video interview on DSLRs, Alexa and RED: a MUST watch and LISTEN!
    Filmmaker's Mod
    http://www.macvideo.tv/camera-techno...icleId=3224564

Please, I implore you, watch and listen very intently to what this man is saying.

This is a sticky-worthy video, IMO, but I'll let the mods decide.

Topics Covered (by opinion):

-The 5D and Image Acquisition
    -Benefits of the 5D in Broadcast television
    -Experiences with the 5D
    -The Arri Alexa (as the tipping point in Film vs Digital)
    -Sony (in brief)
    -BIG SCREEN PROJECTION
    -How is the market changing?
    -The Tools and Applications
    ...and more.
    Comet Color Page

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    Especialy from 6:45 on when he gets into Alexa, which is the camera I want to be shooting with when it drops.

I love his words on this, and those who keep spitting his name out at every corner should be listening to what he's REALLY SAYING HERE.
    Exactly. He acknowledged the shortcomings (which YOU'D have been bashed for around here) while saying they weren't deal-breakers but you had to be aware of them. He sounds really excited about the Alexa. It's going to be interesting to see how it progresses. I enjoyed the interview as it seemed very balanced.
    Last edited by Blaine; 05-24-2010 at 05:36 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    I am stoked on Alexa. Without taking sides, more-so than I am about Epic and have been. The first footages of Alexa were eye-popping.

The fact that it's a cheaper camera is also great, it'll be in range of a lot of shooting I do which is awesome.
    Comet Color Page

8. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Barry from the other thread, summarizing a few key moments in the video:

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    Yeah, there's something for everyone in that interview. He really, really likes the imagery from the Canons, then the interviewer asks him about video cameras with DSLR capabilities and he sneers and says "I don't trust Sony to make a cam that looks like film." He then goes on to really praise the Arri Alexa. At about 13:00, he explains why the Canon isn't going to be the camera for an 80-foot screen, that the Alexa is the camera that he wants, and the Canon is "a struggle", with a big budget he says that you may not like the look you get from the Alexa, you may prefer the "slightly grungy" look from the Canon. He says the jury's still out on the Alexa, but the results he's seen so far are "astonishing." He says the Canon has "its special niche", calling them "great B cameras, stunt cameras, and plate cameras, and if you want to go shoot something on the side, on the weekend, they're great for that as well."

He says he'll always have a 5D around, it's his "notetaker", makes "beautiful stills" and it's great to have along. He said that he'd "probably use it quite often on a movie "if he had another camera as the principal camera", but that he also "might shoot whole shows on the Canon, or whatever else comes next" (he says they have to solve the banding, the codec, the rolling shutter.) Sure sounded like, if one was reading between the lines, he and others have been demanding a raw codec from Canon, and if you're really reading hard between the lines, it sounds like he's implying that they've heard the message loud and clear and that maybe it'll be a possibility some day.

He definitely thinks the Canons are extraordinary because the price point is opening it up to many people who never would have been able to afford something like this.

He says that Nikon will be back, and Panasonic's 4/3 chip is a contender, but he simply likes the 5D because its sensor is larger. "the ability to shoot with a VistaVision chip is just too much to resist."
    Comet Color Page

9. Collapse Details
    I like how he stressed that the image you get out of these cameras is very close to what you get out of a $100,000 camera. But he goes on to say what seperates the pros from the average everyday Joe is "lighting." I've always agreed with this.. No matter the speed of these DSLRs...what seperates us from folks like him is in lighting.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian-T View Post
    I like how he stressed that the image you get out of these cameras is very close to what you get out of a $100,000 camera. But he goes on to say what seperates the pros from the average everyday Joe is "lighting." I've always agreed with this.. No matter the speed of these DSLRs...what seperates us from folks like him is in lighting.
    good point

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast