Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks Blaine, appreciate the kind words. The biggest difference between Leap of Faith and this one is that on Leap of Faith I did everything but score it, on this one I brought together people who know how to do the individual tasks well and then oversaw putting it all together. That's probably the biggest thing I learned from Leap of Faith, so I'm glad to know that comes through.

Maximus - thanks, yea it was a coverage issue. One of the big things I learned on this is that I don't do a good enough job of directing both the camera and the actors. I need to learn to give more attention to each, but keep them separate so I can focus on each areas specific need. Huy did a great job of catching the things I told him we needed, but I didn't do a good enough job of planning adequate coverage. Working with Brandon (who did a fantastic job of pulling this film out of the footage I gave him) I have learned the things that I "knew in my head" but now better understand about what we need to capture beyond the core of the shoot to have enough to work with.

Glad you enjoyed it anyway.

2. Collapse Details
    Heya' Larry! I really enjoyed your film and I will be going back to check it out again BTW. You had some really, really nice shots in here. I agree with some of the others that the acting could have been a little better, but the kid did do an excellent job. I too have been a victim of not paying enough attention to the shot + the acting. It's like juggling and it can be difficult at times, because getting the right shot can be so crucial.

I also liked how you incorporated the dime novel aspect, because those things were really big and so popular back then. They didn't have TV or the internet like we do now, but they had those dime novels and their imagination. I liked the wardrobe except that white coat. There was just something about that and I'm not sure what it was. Maybe because it seemed so clean and neat, more so than everybody elses clothing. Anyway, like I said, I really enjoyed it and will go back for a second viewing, so I may have some more good things to say. Nice job and so glad you jumped in!!

Watch the film (1/21/13) HERE!

iZaza Slider...Do you?

3. Collapse Details
    Hi Larry
    Fantastic job - the other guys are lucky you're not competing as this was definitely one of the top entries. I loved the opening scene – having the young kid as the marshal worked really well. It was a great introduction and foreshadowing. My only gripe was I didn't buy the acting by the dad - I'm sorry I can't think of the right word for it, but to me he came across as someone acting, not so much as a character brought to life. But the story held me the whole time - I think this was the best story in the fest. The technical aspects all worked well. Great job Larry, thanks for putting this in.

4. Collapse Details
    Thank you both, very kind comments for sure. I, like I'm sure all the entrants, can very well see the flaws in my work and intend to focus on those areas on my next project, knowing full well there will be others that will require further improvement. I hope I am never fully satisfied with my work, always striving to improve.

My biggest complaint, and I expressed this to Brandon early on when he was beginning the editing process, is that I was not as prepared as I should have been. So when we got to set I only had a rough idea what I was after for each scene. So instead of giving Huy the setup details, shot list and/or storyboards for the shot we were going to do next and then focusing myself on the actors, I instead had to divide myself between directing both.

I definitely need to make sure that next time I allow myself enough time to break the script down and flesh out what I want from the camera. Because I know that the camera is not my skill, not one I want to try to master, I would much rather team up with other much more talented people. So I need to be able to fully explain my vision in a way that they can easily realize it.

The thing I'm happiest about is that the things I saw are the same things you all are seeing. I would hate to think I had a particular issue, but everyone else saw something entirely different. At least I know I'm being objective about the film ... well, mostly objective ... I do love it

I look forward to working with all these actors and this crew in the future. I think when I am on top of my game, I will get much more from all of them. As it was I think they all did a fantastic job under the circumstances ... not the least of which was wearing that heavy, heavy, heavy, multi-layered clothing in 100+ degree weather.

5. Collapse Details
    +1

6. Collapse Details
    Great film Larry! I thought you had a strong story with well-developed characters and strong performances by Memphis Kid and the son. There was some great cinematography and the score worked very well. The color grading gave everything a nice hot and baked look. I really enjoyed this one man. Great work.

7. Collapse Details
    Larry... what can I say...I saved yours for last and now that I've watched it about 8 times, let me tell you what I think.
    GREAT film!

Everything about this worked for me. I liked the grading and LOVE that shot of the Aunt arriving on the horse.
    Acting was good all around and it was a great story. The opening was very well done.

Congratulation to all!

8. Collapse Details
    Really liked the dime novels. My dad has some from the late 1800s and i loved looking through them as a child and yours brought back memorys they look that good. good job. I know Slone and Tyler and they had a great time working on this. they are both very talented. good job all in all.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415