Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Short Handheld Video with HPX371e
    I hope this works as my free vimeo account isnt back yet.

Today i took advantage of the unusually good UK weather to sneak the 371 into work and shoot a little footage in my dinner break.

Im afraid i couldn't use a tripod as theres no way im carting all that kit on the bus,the camera and bag was enough

All shot 1080-50i 25pn at either 120 or 50th second using modded bbc vid & film scene files.

I know ive blown the exposure a few times but hopefully its a taster until i can set something decent up later.
    (I've Just watched it and i now see why you guys use vimeo,its way better quality than youtube but for now its all i have)

hopefully this will link to 720p youtube video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niJTRmXwrzg

Here's a better version,this one uses H264 instead of the previous file which was wmv.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzr3HJKqPyQ

cheers

Andy
    Last edited by Garion; 05-20-2010 at 02:15 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    It's working and thanks for posting. Looks good, love that BBC Film setting. Waiting for 720p to play back full-screen. You need a grad ND over there - constantly overcast skies!
    Erik Olson

3. Collapse Details
    Looks good Andy and very much like my 301 with the same BBC settings, would like to see some low light footage if you get time to see if those extra two stops make a difference!

Don't know if you have seen it but this was one of my first 301 tests about 11 month's ago: http://vimeo.com/5014764
    Last edited by GaryNattrass; 05-19-2010 at 01:57 AM.
    Over 15 minutes in broadcast film and tv production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352
    /

4. Collapse Details
    Senior Member CinemaElectronika's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryNattrass View Post
    Looks good Andy and very much like my 301 with the same BBC settings, would like to see some low light footage if you get time to see if those extra two stops make a difference!
    Andy,

This is a very interesting question by Gary...

May we hear your comments on this subject?

Would be wonderful to see a low light test... some sort of exteriors at night with street lights maybe..?

Cheers!

Henry
    Henry Epstein / CinemaElectronika
    Arri Alexa Mini / Red Epic-W Helium 8K / RED Epic-X Dragon / RED Epic-X Mysterium / Sony PMW-F55 4KRAW / Sony PXW-FS5 / Nikon D810 / Arri Ultra Primes / Leica R Primes / Zeiss CP.2 PL Primes / Nikon ED Zooms / Odyssey 7Q+ / Easyrig Cinema 3 & Flowcine Serene "Extended" / Ronin Full Size "Extended"

5. Collapse Details
    Im tied up for a few evening but ill try to film a night shot towards the end of the week for you all.

Must say there is one downside to the camera being more sensitive, the other day when i filmed this video in the UK midday sun. I had ND4 on, shutter at 120 and i was struggling to get the aperture to under F8 for several shots!

I normally keep the aperture between f2.8 - f5.6 if i can, i believe 1/3 inch cams start to go a little soft at f8 and above.

Mind you it is rare for us here in the UK to get this sort of good weather, i hate to think how our cousins over in the USA struggle with all that glorious weather you get .... Lucky beggars :p

6. Collapse Details
    Thats the crazt thing that panny are quoting f10 performance but if you go above f5.6 you can get problems, it may be a bit misleading for people who ar new to the camera and keep it stopped down all the time.

I will do some low light tests too so that there is a clip from the 301 in very low light, I won't go above +6db gain though as that is as far as the BBC spec will go.
    Over 15 minutes in broadcast film and tv production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352
    /

7. Collapse Details
    I've just realised that over here in PAL land the 371 is actually F11. I re-checked the brochure and most manufacturers do their tests in 1080 60i but at 50i we gain another stop.

Silly question this but which mode should we do the test in ? 1080-50i 50i or 1080-50i 25p.

If 25p then i would guess shutter off for best performance.

8. Collapse Details
    Yes I saw that too and forgot we gain an extra stop, it also makes me think more that the noise problems were more related to NTSC than PAL and in the BBC report Alan says the 301 camera is no more noisy than any other HD camera and acceptable.

As for testing Its a difficult one as there are too many variables, that is why I wanted to see if we could meet up and test them side by side. It may also be that uploading to vimeo is not the best test situation either but lets see.

If we both shoot 1920x1080i 25np AVC intra 100 with a shutter of 1/50.0 with the BBC film settings it will be sort of a constant.

Or if you like 1920x1080i 50i AVC intra 100 with no shutter and the BBC video settings but the upload may be affected more by vimeo's conversion.
    /

9. Collapse Details
    Yes it will be tricky this lol.

How about a compromise 1080-50i 25pn at frame rate of 25 (shutter off). I figure realistically this is the minimum either of us would really shoot at if we were after the filmic look at night?

The only mods i have done to the BBC Film file is backed the detail up to -2 instead of -4 . I have left coring at 0 and i have master pedestal at -6 as per Barry's recommendation. I can change it to match your file though if you like.

Ill lock down a shot and shoot at -3db, 0 and +6 if you like. Ill try something in the house in a darkened setting to try to limit outside interferance. Hopefully i can get time friday or saturday for this
    Last edited by Garion; 05-20-2010 at 02:37 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    That sounds good apart from the sodium lighting, it will look very red and may confuse matters.
    /

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast