Thread: Avengers

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Apparently Avengers has already grabbed the #4 all-time top-grossing spot. I'd say the big gamble paid off.
    LEARN FILMMAKING -- DIGITAL DOWNLOADS of great tutorials - see screen shots, preview reels, and more

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE

2. Collapse Details
    What big gamble?

3. Collapse Details
    The gamble of making Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, and Captain America, with the intent of bringing them all together in The Avengers. Along with using them to introduce the characters who didn't rate their own movies.
    LEARN FILMMAKING -- DIGITAL DOWNLOADS of great tutorials - see screen shots, preview reels, and more

4. Collapse Details
    Wally Pfister says this film is "appalling".

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...-film-20121017
    http://www.refocusedmedia.com
    Film / Photography
    esse quam videri

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by refocusedmedia View Post
    Wally Pfister says this film is "appalling".

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...-film-20121017
    Well then that settles it.
    "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." - W.C. Fields

6. Collapse Details
    He's got a bit of a point. It's not the most well-directed movie. A friend of mine called it "brilliant," but it's not. It's a rip-roaring fun time, which excels at everything it set out to do, but it's not a great example of cinema. Of course, it doesn't need to be.

7. Collapse Details
    Yeah, but, appalling?....I was never taken out of the film by any of the shots. He's a craftsman with a very specific preference for the type of camera work he likes to see, and that's all well and good. But I don't see it as an artistic failure. He wouldn't have shot it that way. That doesn't mean the way it's shot doesn't work. It certainly worked for the majority of moviegoers...If I'm being honest, Pfister has done great, amazing work, but sometimes he can be boring.
    "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." - W.C. Fields

8. Collapse Details
    I don't agree with "appalling."

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    Yeah, but, appalling?....I was never taken out of the film by any of the shots. He's a craftsman with a very specific preference for the type of camera work he likes to see, and that's all well and good. But I don't see it as an artistic failure. He wouldn't have shot it that way. That doesn't mean the way it's shot doesn't work. It certainly worked for the majority of moviegoers...If I'm being honest, Pfister has done great, amazing work, but sometimes he can be boring.
    There's only one film in recent times that I would call the camera work 'appalling'... and that would be "Beasts of the Southern Wild"(2012). I don't walk out of films ever... and I didn't in this case... but I was so 'car sick' by the end of the first act... I pretty much closed my eyes for the rest of the film... the Wife had wanted to see this film for so long, it was 'politically' not an option to leave...

Anyway, the only other film I have had that sort of reaction to was "Grand Prix"(1966)...

But other than those two... camera work is almost never a reason why I would call a film 'appalling'... for Hollywood productions.

No, I don't like 'shaky cam', no I don't like 'focus hunt'... and a number of other current camera techniques, but 'appalling'... no.

In the case of 'Avengers'(2012), I thought the film was pretty good in the entertainment sense. However, I think Robert Downy Jr. is getting a bit too inclined to play the same sort of character (Asperger's like genius...). This happened to Jack Nicholson, and a number of other 'top celebs', and I think it is unfortunate...

10. Collapse Details
    that film would of been 50% worse without loki vs hulk fight, theres not much to remember from the movie but that scene was really the best thing in it.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast