Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    7D Firmware 1.2.1 fix overheating issue?
    Anybody test new firmware update 1.2.1 to see if it really solves overheating issue? I just ordered 7D, but I am now thinking of exchanging it for a 5D because of this problem.

Thanks,

Shawn

2. Collapse Details
    solved my overheating issues. Before the update the temp indicator would go on everytime I filmed for over 5 minutes. Hasn't happened since the update.

3. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    It's not going to solve the over heating issue. All it does is extend the time the camera takes to warn you of overheating. It'll still over heat with extended use.

4. Collapse Details
    You will still see overheating in direct sunlight, using 1.2.1 in arizona sun last weekend.

5. Collapse Details
    My 7D on 1.2.1 might have damaged the sensor some how.

the camera was working fine, after i used the video function for a little while these lines started appearing on the sensor, permanently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbIG6ERqB_U

6. Collapse Details
    I have heard similar issues w/ horizontal and vertical banding after the latest update. I still get overheating in average temperatures even after the update. Usually happens 5 seconds after I hit record.

7. Collapse Details
    Well I just got the 7D today from B&H. It came with the 1.2.1 firmware. The first thing I did was record three consecutive 12min. clips at 60fps, 2 indoors and one outdoors in direct sunlight at about (75F) to see if I could get it to overheat. I'm happy to say I didn't see even a temperature warning. Works flawlessly so far. Maybe 1.2.1 really does fix the issue. Don't get me wrong the camera does get warm to the touch but not super hot.

8. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paintball_kidz View Post
    My 7D on 1.2.1 might have damaged the sensor some how.

the camera was working fine, after i used the video function for a little while these lines started appearing on the sensor, permanently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbIG6ERqB_U

have you tried dropping back to the previous firmware? firmware should have no correlation to the physical properties of your sensor, merely how it interprets what your sensor is seeing. It may have just been a glitched install. (Hopefully, this sucks)

9. Collapse Details
    Well I just got the 7D today from B&H. It came with the 1.2.1 firmware. The first thing I did was record three consecutive 12min. clips at 60fps, 2 indoors and one outdoors in direct sunlight at about (75F) to see if I could get it to overheat. I'm happy to say I didn't see even a temperature warning. Works flawlessly so far. Maybe 1.2.1 really does fix the issue. Don't get me wrong the camera does get warm to the touch but not super hot.

10. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography TimurCivan's Avatar
    Ow.

Canon should fix this for free... this looks like thier bad, or even if it was your fault, they can probbaly reinstall your firmware properly...
    Cinematographer
    Sigma Pro

www.timurcivan.com 917-589-4424

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast