Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Tips for Handheld for Documentary
    I am shooting a small documentary with the T2i in a couple weeks. I have the kit lens and a 50mm 1.8 II. I might be able to borrow a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8. One of the things I love is playing with depth of field, but I also realize shallow DOF and handheld do not mix very well with the CMOS sensor. Given the nature of this documentary (a musician here in Chicago) I'd rather not use a tripod, especially when filming his performances.

Any advice appreciated. Any Chicago folks in here? Thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    I use IndiRAILSpro XV sm ( 24"). I mount the camera towards the front. Shoulder 2/3 back, and wrap ankle weights to the very back to somewhat balance.

3. Collapse Details
    Tripod as Steadicam
    I use my tripod as a Steadicam, the legs snapped open but not extended. I grab two of the legs as handles and use the third as the "point." Of course, you need to use the widest lens with a setting that allows everything in your range to be in focus.

4. Collapse Details
    Just try and go as wide as possible with the lens. Handheld footage from the 50mm 1.8 is gonna look pretty shaky without some really nice stabilization.

5. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 7Dpimpin View Post
    Just try and go as wide as possible with the lens. Handheld footage from the 50mm 1.8 is gonna look pretty shaky without some really nice stabilization.
    Agreed - with a 50mm 1.8, you're going to have "shake" if you're hand held and standing with the camera in front of your face. So if you are infact, going for a "shaky cam" look, you won't have to exagerate the motion with the 50mm 1.8 on the camera.

6. Collapse Details
    Get yourself a cheap monopod... & go out and practice ..practice... practice!

7. Collapse Details
    stop the lens down to f/3.5-f/4 if there's a lot of movement so you have a better chance at keeping things in focus

8. Collapse Details
    A buddy of mine uses a mono-pod w/ a weight attached to the bottom. Footage on 5d looked great!

9. Collapse Details
    Yes, I'm looking at good monopods on BandH's site.

I am going to go wide. Results with the 50mm are just too unpredictable unless on a tripod. Am looking at trying to rent or borrow another good wide lens.

Thanks for the tips.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by denzlite View Post
    Yes, I'm looking at good monopods on BandH's site.

I am going to go wide. Results with the 50mm are just too unpredictable unless on a tripod. Am looking at trying to rent or borrow another good wide lens.

Thanks for the tips.

What's wrong with the kit lens? The kit lens is probably one of the best lenses you will ever own, people just need to learn their gear. The 50mm 1.8 is very hard to stabilize hand held, I shoot music videos and it just requires some amazing editing skills to make it look good.

The Kit lens though is probably my favorite lens, why spend $600-700 on a lens when you can achieve the same results with the kit lens? The key is lighting, supply at least 500watts of light and an on camera light ( shoe mount ) and you can shoot almost anything with the kit lens.
    Vision without action is just a dream. Action without vision is a nightmare. Put your vision into motion.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast